Sign in to follow this  
Barclay seats 4849 the 3rd

Charlie Austin ,,, not such a gamble as suggested

It has been suggested widely that although we could afford £15m to buy Austin , it would be his wages that ruled us out . Personally I don''t subscribe to this theory simply because even if we get relegated ,, he is still worth at least £10 m ,, after all QPR were relegated and he is worth £15m ! So the total loss , if any would be greatly reduced .

Secondly , his wages £100 a week max I would guess ,,, that''s £5m

To stay in the premier league ,,, is that really too much of a gamble ??

The man we should''ve signed was busy doing what we needed for Villa yesterday.

Big, strong, powerful, young, hungry and injury free, all for 6 million. One player that fitted the bill exactly.

[quote user="STAN"]The man we should''ve signed was busy doing what we needed for Villa yesterday.

Big, strong, powerful, young, hungry and injury free, all for 6 million. One player that fitted the bill exactly.[/quote]

Yes and he signed for Villa a bigger club. We have no way of knowing if we were in for him, but ultimately yellow and green spectacles aside, He would most likely pick a shot at playing for Villa over us.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]He is going to a BIG Prem side ... Forget it!!![/quote]
While you''re probably right (my money on Spurs) there is a danger that "little old Norwich" becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. One way to be seen as a big club is to make big signings which shows the club have ambition which in turn helps to attract further big names.

How do we justify to the rest of the squad paying a new player £100,000 a week when our present top earner is likely to be on £30,000?Can you imagine the queue of our players agents outside McNally`s door asking for more money.

Totally agree Molly, why on earth would we ...or anyone give Charlie Austin a hundred grand AWEEK!!! Surely he aint worth that. He''s decent, but he''s not Aguero.

Yes yes yes ,, but not one of you has tried to answer the question posed ,,, so many keen to say that either : £15m is out of reach or his wages would be . We have no idea what he would ask for , maybe £60k ?

My point is not even necessarily uniquely relevant to Austin , but any quality player .

Gestede? Donkey ,,, will vanish faster than Adebayor''s ambition !

We need a proper Preimer-League standard striker. If AN doesn''t think that Hooper or RVW fill that position then we need to spend the money and bring someone in, quickly.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]He is going to a BIG Prem side ... Forget it!!![/quote]

What''s a BIG premier side now?

Because watching Saturday''s game and taking into account the refs decision making. Palace seem to be a BIG prem team and they''ll finish in the bottom half for sure

[quote user="alartz"][quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]He is going to a BIG Prem side ... Forget it!!![/quote]

What''s a BIG premier side now?

Because watching Saturday''s game and taking into account the refs decision making. Palace seem to be a BIG prem team and they''ll finish in the bottom half for sure[/quote]Big teams are seen as Spurs,Everton,Newcastle,etc even Aston Villa who have been fighting relegation every season lately are seen as a big club .Austin will end up at a club like that without doubt , even if we stumped up the cash can you really see a player that broke into the England squad last season opting to sign for Norwich ? . Reports are that £13 million will get him now and if you think Mings cost £8 million then surely Austin is the biggest bargain out there this summer .

maybe qpr might even owe us some money for fer also so we wouldn''t have to even spend that much cash I bet brady didn''t cost us that much because I would imagine hull owed us some money from the snoddy deal

He plays for QPR. Known to pay the silliest of salaries to average players. Wasn''t Joey Barton earning £80k+ per week there about 4 years ago?

[quote user="Samwam27"]People also assume he''d be on £100k, where on earth do you get the evidence to substantiate this.[/quote]

I don''t believe I was trying to say that he had to be paid that amount ,,, merely suggesting that even at that level of remuneration , the gamble would be limited to a years (approximately ) wages , and the amount that I suggested was only to echo the " we can''t afford his wages " cries .

Now , do you have a reasoned response ? Thought not 😁

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"][quote user="STAN"]The man we should''ve signed was busy doing what we needed for Villa yesterday.

Big, strong, powerful, young, hungry and injury free, all for 6 million. One player that fitted the bill exactly.[/quote]

Yes and he signed for Villa a bigger club. We have no way of knowing if we were in for him, but ultimately yellow and green spectacles aside, He would most likely pick a shot at playing for Villa over us.[/quote][quote user="Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB"]The trouble with threads like

this is they kind of assume the player they quote actually wants to

come to Norwich, is it really that hard for people to understand that it

is not just about bidding £x for a player?...............[/quote]Money talks, amongst most footballers and their agents. If we were to offer enough money, or more money than the other teams in for said player, then chances are we''d get the player.However, as has been said, if we smash our wage structure by signing ''big name'' players on big money, we''ll end up with a QPR situation where the disparity in wages between the ''big names'' and the others is huge and causes divisions.I know I''ve said on here before that we should go for Austin as a sign of intent, but I wouldn''t go overboard, and judging by the amount of interest in Austin, someone is going to have to. It will end up being an arms race.

Not a chance Austin would be on 100k a week, not a chance anyone would pay him 100k a week.

Personally I''d be over the moon with Austin but there''s also not a chance he''d want to join us

Where are all these clubs falling over themselves to get him in at £15m. QPR have it would seem agreed to reduce the asking price provided the cash is up front. There are ways around the wages ie £30 000 a week and a huge bonus if we stay up. If we do stay up money well spent if we go down then we sell him to a bottom half club for on or around what we paid. He has a track record at this level now and i do not think he would be a gamble at all rather a very shrewd investment and far better than blowing £7m on someone that has never played in the league