Sign in to follow this  
James Kent

Should we retain Kyle Lafferty?

Hi all,

It''s interesting that as the transfer window ticks along we are hearing as much about strikers leaving us as any that may join. Despite Kyle Lafferty still being in the building I''m just not sure that Alex Neil sees anything in him. As I''ve mentioned previously, he sent him out on loan almost as soon as he signed him. Clearly injury has played a part, but that just makes it even easier for him to leave him out.

If we are successful in signing a new striker or two, it''s very hard to see when he would ever play other than in the odd cup game. So, I''m assuming we will be cashing in.

But could that be a mistake, should we instead keep him around the place or even give him a game in the near future.

Here''s more on that speculation: https://www.the-newshub.com/football/kyle-lafferty-sheffield-wednesday-ready-to-offer-striker-escape-route-from-norwich-city

When he first started at City, he looked promising and during those first few games under Adams, he was a key element of our domination and movement around the pitch.   He was unlucky on several occasions not to score and always looked dangerous on the ball.  However, that didn''t last and whenever he made an appearance after that, he looked like a headless chicken liable to be booked or sent off at any moment.   By that time the wheels had come off Adams'' management so it could be argued that under a strong manager he might buckle down again and put in a good shift without the headstrong stuff, but that might have worked in the championship.  In the premier league, I would be dubious if he could produce enough often enough to figure much in team plans. 

I really liked his attitude at first, always first to go to the fans and celebrate goals and looked a real team player. If that could be recatured then maybe there is a way back, but there are plenty in front of him on the left - and up front.   I don''t think he is a PL forward - his heading ability is not good enough - so it would have to be on the left, where he has spent quite a lot of his career.  But with Johnson and Brady, his chances will be limited - so maybe a loan might be best.  But as with all our players, I hope he works hard enough to get a chance at some stage - and then the rest is up to him.

No, Norwich should not retain Kyle Laffertybecause he not good enough, will never play in the Premier League and don''t score enough goals,Is he a winger or forward?

How do we know his heading isn''t good enough? We''ve never seen him play centre forward for Norwich, however he seems a handful when he plays up front for his country. Maybe we have ''a diamond under our feet''...

would like to see him stay  and used as a CF but he is disruptive in the dressing room and at training

I don''t think we really have a choice in the matter, we can''t seem to sign anyone so we have to go with what we''ve got.

In short, No. We have plenty of creative players and what we need is a consistent scorer, and that is not what he is. He has gifts and is committed, but he cannot offer what we need at the moment

I think that if our main strikers were all unavailable for a particular game, he might not even get in then.

[quote user="city4eva"]would like to see him stay  and used as a CF but he is disruptive in the dressing room and at training[/quote]

Please elaborate on the "disruptive" comment, or is this just a lazy assumption based on his supposed character?

Lafferty has always been said to be just the opposite, with a great sense of humour in the dressing-room and on the pitch, so there does seem to be an element of ''assumption'' here which is anything but true.

purely from a physical aspect ,he is still the closest we have to Jerome. If we are playing one up front and need a striker with a bit of height and physical prescence and could come on to carry on a job Jerome was doing for the last 15 mins, he is as close as we have.

When you see him playing for N.Ireland as a lone striker to good effect,we would be foolish if we didnt at least see if we could replicate that.

I think he played as a central striker maybe twice for us, so we still dont know??

I think Laffs needs to be given a couple of games to prove his worth. As stated, he does alright at international level, so no reason why he can''t be at least as good, if not better than Grabbs.

Start up front v Rotherham with RVW also starting. Perfect way to assess without so much at stake. 

[quote user="city4eva"]would like to see him stay  and used as a CF but he is disruptive in the dressing room and at training[/quote]

Are you regularly in the dressing room and how often do you attend training sessions? Ignorant comments!

He is undoubtedly a decent player that can offer a different attacking option.Unfortunately his defensive skills are limited to kicking anyone in an opposition shirt and as such is a liability that we cannot risk using whilst playing a high pressing game.Unless AN`s "wee chat" has had a major effect on his playing style and on pitch attitude making him a player that can now do a job for "the team" then I would be happy to see him leave.

[quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="city4eva"]would like to see him stay  and used as a CF but he is disruptive in the dressing room and at training[/quote]

Are you regularly in the dressing room and how often do you attend training sessions? Ignorant comments![/quote]Keep your ignorance to yourselfI know someone very close to NCFC who tells me a few things most of which I keep to myself because all you get on here is prove it, dont be ignorant etc etc.I personally dont give two hoots wether you believe it or not.I know what I have been told

No. nowhere near good enough for the PL and blocking the career ladder for youngsters if he gets played solely in the cups. Honestly I think he''s probably the worst signing we''ve made in the past couple of seasons, never understood why we signed him in the first place!

[quote user="andyc24_uk"]No. nowhere near good enough for the PL and blocking the career ladder for youngsters if he gets played solely in the cups. Honestly I think he''s probably the worst signing we''ve made in the past couple of seasons, never understood why we signed him in the first place![/quote]

Lol. Never given a run in the team in his preferred position. A little unqualified to judge. He probally will never play for us again, but currently he is a different option to any other player we have.

If his preferred position is striker, he''s unlikely to be given the nod ahead of Jerome, Grabban and whoever the new guy is (if he ever arrives). Then there''s still Hooper and RVW to jump ahead of, if they''re still around come September.

He''s got two years left on his contract, so will likely be loaned out again with a view to selling in January.

On the pitch he''s committed, I''ll give you that.

I still find it a bit bizarre that he was loaned out in the first place. We have no idea what''s gone on in the background but AN clearly wants to give everyone a fair chance so it is a shame he was injured throughout pre-season.

I''d rather keep laff than the wolf in fairness.

[quote user="city4eva"][quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="city4eva"]would like to see him stay  and used as a CF but he is disruptive in the dressing room and at training[/quote]

Are you regularly in the dressing room and how often do you attend training sessions? Ignorant comments![/quote]Keep your ignorance to yourselfI know someone very close to NCFC who tells me a few things most of which I keep to myself because all you get on here is prove it, dont be ignorant etc etc.I personally dont give two hoots wether you believe it or not.I know what I have been told[/quote]

I know what you are saying is rubbish because I have it on good authority from someone even closer to NCFC. I should keep not release this but my mate''s girlfriend has a cousin whose aunt works in the kitchen and she sees all that goes on. Please keep this to yourself.