Sign in to follow this  
Big Vince

Outdated Ownership Model

The days of the local businessman in the sheepskin coat owning the local football club are long gone. But Norwich City have not woken up to this fact. The Canary Board has no one who can dig really deep into their pocket in order to fence ring the player wage budget at Premier League level.

No one should be on the board of a Premier League club unless they have serious money to contribute. Delia and Wynnie are poor millionaires by their own admission, and the others have next to nothing to put in. Compare that to most of the other competitors at this level and you see where the problem lies.

Football is big business in this day and age and in order to compete the club will either have to sell out to a larger business entity, or be able to attract a wealthy individual worth at least in the mid hundreds of millions.

So long as Delia and Wynnie continue to cling on and we therefore can''t even afford two £8 million players at either end of the pitch, there is no future for us at this level.

Reality has bitten.

I like the way our club is run but sadly there is some truth in what you say.

But on the other hand there are some very wealthy people out there who''s clubs are well behind us in terms of positions and leagues.

I do worry about the lack of succession plan for when they get to old (not that far away)

Would like to hear sooner rather than later what they intend to do

If you want the club to be owned a by fraudulent asian family or middle eastern sheikh warlord then there''s ample opportunity for a new owner. Just ask Cardiff, Blackburn or Fulham how that''s turned out.

[quote user="Canary Legend"]Would like to hear sooner rather than later what they intend to do[/quote]I feel sure they''ll notify you Waveney. Who should they send it to..........Waveney Canary / Canary from the Waveney Valley / Thorpe End Canary / River End Canary / Marvin Fairlady / Lowestoft Canary / Norwich4life / Herr Flick / Humpty the canary / Wizard of Waveney / Canary fun and games / Haven Canary / Lowestoft Determined Canary / flake district canary / Down in the Chumps / Adnams Out / Cheap Cheap Canaries / What Crisis? / Fluffy Bunny / Mankey Monkey / Tufty Squirrel / Even Keel  / King street canary / Chestnut canary / Ellie Goulding / Jeff butler / john thaw / John tree / Canary buffet / The beautiful south / Festive Canary / Canary Island / River End Canary / Lowestoft Canary / Hopeful Canary / dauphinoise Potatoes / The Phantom / Hector Prune / Harry Kidd / Alexander the Great / Toby Juggs / Norwich Crazy / Canary Fest / Canary Dogg / Stiflers Mom / Guy Burgess / Sir Anthony Blunt / Miss Bum Bum / Talented Canary / e / Canary LegendThey wouldn''t want to waste all those stamps. [:)]

[quote user="Canary Legend"]I do worry about the lack of succession plan for when they get to old (not that far away)

Would like to hear sooner rather than later what they intend to do[/quote]

Why should they tell you what thier plans are?

Yup, Herman, one game and out come all the usual miserablists. It is as if there''s an organised tag team thing going on - who can be the most anti-club whilst still apparently keeping people thinking they support it.

I am surprised it took him 3 days to come up with this thread on the back of one defeat. Just the same $hite but in a different bucket. Makes you wonder why this gem was not posted following the final at Wembley after all it''s the same board that has been around for a few years now.Waveney not surprisingly has already appeared so best we all look out now for Newton.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Yup, Herman, one game and out come all the usual miserablists. It is as if there''s an organised tag team thing going on - who can be the most anti-club whilst still apparently keeping people thinking they support it.[/quote]I''d hope most of them are wind-ups like Waveney, but sadly I think some are genuine.

You know anyone with a few hundred million quid?

Maybe you should go to a game sometime vince

Thanks for the update lappinitup.

Is it easy to keep tabs on the troll? I can usually spot him by the style, but it would be nice to have some way of confirmation, then I definitely know to ignore it.

Actually, yes. Big Vince does know someone with this kind of money.

But, in order for Big Vince to act as intermediary, Big Vince would have to have cast iron certainty that Delia and Wynnie are prepared to sell, otherwise Big Vince is going to look very foolish indeed.

Big Vince is not conVINCEd at all that Delia and Wynnie are ready to negotiate with anyone, rich or poor.

[quote user="Big Vince"] otherwise Big Vince is going to look very foolish indeed. [/quote]If ever there was a case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted. [:(]

[quote user="Big Vince"]Actually, yes. Big Vince does know someone with this kind of money.

But, in order for Big Vince to act as intermediary, Big Vince would have to have cast iron certainty that Delia and Wynnie are prepared to sell, otherwise Big Vince is going to look very foolish indeed.

Big Vince is not conVINCEd at all that Delia and Wynnie are ready to negotiate with anyone, rich or poor.[/quote]Why do I always hear the voice of the Mysterons when I read the tosh he writes?

Superb post Big Vince

Post the truth and the Trolls flood out of there holes, defending the current board

Yes some clubs have failed following a change of ownership but, they all ignore models like Southampton, Swansea, Stoke, Bournemouth, Watford, Brentford, Middlesbrough, WBA etc etc who have been highly successful

We need an owner who understands business and is prepared to invest in the club, not an owner who is basically a retired TV celebrity and a life long fan

We are going no where with the current crew in charge

New ownership is required and I agree with Vince.I also want the club to be owned by the right person and who doesn''t, its not going to happen until Delia and Co start offering it up for sale.The club obviously does not have a big enough turnover to make much money and there are now plans to expand, so we stay as we are in and out of the premiership.

[quote user="Big Vince"]The days of the local businessman in the sheepskin coat owning the local football club are long gone. But Norwich City have not woken up to this fact. The Canary Board has no one who can dig really deep into their pocket in order to fence ring the player wage budget at Premier League level.

No one should be on the board of a Premier League club unless they have serious money to contribute.
Delia and Wynnie are poor millionaires by their own admission, and the others have next to nothing to put in. Compare that to most of the other competitors at this level and you see where the problem lies.

Football is big business in this day and age and in order to compete the club will either have to sell out to a larger business entity, or be able to attract a wealthy individual worth at least in the mid hundreds of millions.

So long as Delia and Wynnie continue to cling on and we therefore can''t even afford two £8 million players at either end of the pitch, there is no future for us at this level.

Reality has bitten.[/quote]Oh dear. That rules out McNally and Bowkett from sitting on our board. Still, I am sure they - and all posters here - will agree with your harsh logic. Much better to have as directors mega-rich people who have, say, made their money in the Asian aviation business but are totally clueless about football rather than smart paupers who actually know the game.

PurpleCanary wrote the following post at 11/08/2015 8:06 PM

Much better to have as directors mega-rich people who have, say, made their money in the Asian aviation business but are totally clueless about football rather than smart paupers who actually know the game.

Fantastic post Purple - this is exactly what we have

Owners who are - totally clueless about football

The penny has finally dropped - well done Purple, the problem is they are not mega rich though ?

Its their train set so I guess they can do whatever they like with it.There''s nothing to stop anyone making an offer if they fancy it.

They say be careful what you wish for, just look down the road, money means nothing. Too many on here go on about the owners, always looking to run the club down, then when they here of the likes of Stoke signing a player for £12m they go all "why not us"

Stoke, Swansea et al are now well established PL clubs, it has taken Stoke until now to spend £12m on one player, yet we spent £8m on a young dutch boy and where did that get us.

Big vince needs to stop putting his mums dress on and scaring people at the family motel in the shower.

Now then Newton that '' highly successful '' model that you mentioned Middlesbrough FC would that be the same Middlesbrough that have just started their 7th consecutive season in the Championship following relegation from our division who play in a half empty staduim week in and week out having lost about 15,000 fans since 2009 ?

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]They say be careful what you wish for, just look down the road, money means nothing. Too many on here go on about the owners, always looking to run the club down, then when they here of the likes of Stoke signing a player for £12m they go all "why not us"

Stoke, Swansea et al are now well established PL clubs, it has taken Stoke until now to spend £12m on one player, yet we spent £8m on a young dutch boy and where did that get us.[/quote]Lessingham gets it.

What an unbelievable crock of crap.

You do realise that according to you that the majority of Premier League clubs are now run by ''business people'' i.e. people who are there to make money from selling them on. There are arguably only 3 teams that are ''bankrolled'' Man City, Chelsea (although they''ve turned a profit in 2 of the last 3 and arguably Bournemouth (albeit not an established PL club).

I would actually argue that the days of the local businessman (or woman it is 2015 after all) are actually potentially on the way back, fan ownership amongst clubs will only increase over time.

The reality is that nobody is likely to bankroll Norwich to the mega money you are talking about. Nobody is bankrolling 16 other PL clubs so why would they Norwich? This is not a failing of our current board but more a misguided judgement on your part. I would rather have our current board made up of fans and respected business people (Bowkett has an excellent reputation in business circles for example) than a board made up of faceless business people who are there only for the money and there own gain (see Man Utd, Leceister, Villa, Sunderland etc...)

Long and the short of it. Get your head out of your arse, smell the coffee and realise things aren''t actually that bad... We could be Ipswich!