Sign in to follow this  
Blurboy1980

End of the season and goal difference

Just wondering thoughts... today we totally 100% controlled the game and honestly thought we could have scored more and hopefully it will never come down to GD but do you think we should be always pressing for more if its available. I feel like they took the foot off the pedal with 20 mins to go.

There wont be many games where we are dominant like that and have the chance to add more. Just curious and yes I know you don''t want to be pressing too much and concede at the other side of the pitch.

I wouldn''t worry about it. GD hardly ever matters, we are playing like we belong here instead of afraid so that''s not gonna be the difference between relegation and survival anyways, and why not enjoy the win instead of finding things to fuss over.

yes, we should have gone for more, if only to boost morale and to put out a message to other teams.

More worryingly, is that we once again play really well yet concede a goal.

when was the last time a team were relegated from the PL via goal difference?

Worryingly? How can you take anything worrying from a superb performance and a 3-1 win?

[quote user="STAN"]when was the last time a team were relegated from the PL via goal difference?[/quote]2007/08 Season - Fulham and Reading finshed with 36 points. Fulham had a -22GD, Reading -25GD.Apart from that 4 other teams have been relegated by goal difference since the beggining of the Premier League:Sheffield Utd - 2006/07Bolton Wanderers - 1997/98Man City - 1995/95Crystal Palace - 1992/93All with a minus goal difference.We''re doomed I tell ya!!!!

[quote user="Iwans Big Toe"][quote user="STAN"]when was the last time a team were relegated from the PL via goal difference?[/quote]2007/08 Season - Fulham and Reading finshed with 36 points. Fulham had a -22GD, Reading -25GD.Apart from that 4 other teams have been relegated by goal difference since the beggining of the Premier League:Sheffield Utd - 2006/07Bolton Wanderers - 1997/98Man City - 1995/95Crystal Palace - 1992/93All with a minus goal difference.We''re doomed I tell ya!!!!

[/quote]and I mean beginning and 1995/96.Oh for an edit button. 

Scenario for you. By pressing for more goals with 20 mins to play, you open yourselves up at the back and Sunderland score a goal on 73 mins and another on 79 mins. We would then have a VERY nervous last 10/15 mins and even if we held on we would have reduced our GD by pushing for more.

By being 3-0 up, sometimes you just have to protect it, especially in this league, no matter who you are against.

Better safe than sorry, their goal showed what a fine line we have and it''s better to preserve a 2 goal difference safely than run the risk of conceding twice while hunting for a fourth.

The OP makes a good point. When we finish 18th and are relegated on goal difference, we should look back and curse our poor performance today in only winning by two goals away from home.

No need to concern ourselves with something as trivial as goal difference nor worry about relegation, because we''re going to be where we should''ve been a couple of seasons back and that''s where Swansea & Southampton are at.I''m confident we''ll exceed most peoples expectations by garnering a top half finish.