Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Martin and Whittaker

Could you say more? I''m not sure what your point is?

Although I thought both were superb in a suberb team performance.

I just don''t understand the Whittaker bashing, lad always gives everything and gets us more points than he costs us. Great pass to setup Redmond at Wembley, good goal today, definite starter.

Thought he was immense today. Must be said though, he is best against "weaker teams" as his defending is not a plus point...

Attacking though....sublime at times

Very strong defence today. Bassong and Martin were solid in the centre. Brady and Whitts excellent going forward. As others have mentioned, would love Ollson to come back soon so Brady can be pushed forward.

[quote user="Monty13"]Could you say more? I''m not sure what your point is?

Although I thought both were superb in a suberb team performance.[/quote]I hope the doubters will now see that when playing at their best, they are well up to the task.

"Playing at their best" is key - but then that''s what AN gets from his players. 

whittaker is just an easy target

for the last 6 months he has been one of our best players

when ever he supports the attack things happen

but he can be a little dodgy in defence but then that''s the flipside just look at kyle walker would have whitts over him everytime

Not a great fan of Whittaker at times as defensive unit but must say he lives up to his former life as a winger and he is very useful offensively. Maybe your top 6 post a few weeks ago could be prophetic .....if only we had got that deserved draw at least last week.

Fantastic to see them both score.

Their quality will be measured by their defensive qualities which were rarely tested today.

forgot to add

Brady looked every bit a 7m player today still some work to do but that will only come as he learns his teammates very happy with him

Neil went for Brady as his number one signing so he must know something about the lad

[quote user="Vanwink"]Fantastic to see them both score.

Their quality will be measured by their defensive qualities which were rarely tested today.[/quote]

Surely their quality should be based on results?  A team attacks as a team and defends as a team and should be judged on results.Today was a result.  

lake district canary wrote the following post at 15/08/2015 5:42 PM:

Vanwink wrote:

Fantastic to see them both score. Their quality will be measured by their defensive qualities which were rarely tested today.

Surely their quality should be based on results?

A team attacks as a team and defends as a team and should be judged on results.

Today was a result.

That''s a good un

Thought both of them played really well. Redmond was also fantastic. First win on the board, Sunderland were $hit, we were great, happy days.

Whittaker critisisms seemed to be based on "he''s not quicker than Zaha or Walcott" but the fact is, not many people, like, on earth are quicker.

He''s got great determination, I appreciate that. He responds well to the mangers encouragement and I really like this manager, his attitude and the way he sets up for games is exemplary, so it''s a good fit.

I''ve always though Whittaker needs players around him who are on the same wavelength, otherwise he gets himself in a pickle and looks worse than he is.He''s a good dribbler, very skillful and measured when he gets time to tee up a shot or cross. Thrives on confidence.

Martin I''d have in my team all season, CB or RB but Whittaker can be improved upon with a few million. Sunderland made him look world class but he''s far from it.

my view remains that both full backs are far stronger attacking than defending (hence bradys assist for Martins goal and whits excellent movement & finish for the killer second).

I cant wait for Olsson to come back to free brady further up the pitch where all his good work was done; his defensive decision making confirmed he is simply a wide midfielder. Tofollo needs to be ready for me.

Likewise we can do better than whits but he is consistent & reliable; he will impress against the bottom 7 teams, struggle (like all) against the top 5 but be exposed a little too often for comfort against the rest (eg palace last week) - which is where he could cost us points in coming games

Martin (sorry Ray) still causes me concern - he was ok at the back yest but was the weak link. The goal was a surprise ricochet but excellent example of being in the right place at the right time but hardly merits being lauded as a reason to keep him at the back.

Seb seemed to be back to his best from two years ago - if we have a repeat performance against stoke we will know he is truly back; which is excellent news for us all.

Let''s not get carried away Martin & Whitts aren''t the greatest at this level defending but Always said Witts going forward is his greatest weapon, really impressed with Wes, Redmond, Howson & Jerome combo up top, two weeks running we controlled the ball and tore through a premiership defence at will.

The more we keep the ball the better our defenders look and credit to all for that they didn''t just hoof the ball out of the back but played the ball out through Andorrans and Tettey.

Great all round performance.

Hi Zipper,

No need to apologise sir, we all have our opinions to which we are all of course entitled. That said, I''m not sure how you saw him as our weak link yesterday, IMO they all played exceptionally well, OK some will say Sunderland were carp, but you can only peform against those in front of you. Down hill with a following wind we could be joint top, but if my auntie was my uncle, etc.

If we stick to the style of play we have in the first two games then we will at times take a beating, probably against one or two of the top 6, but it will at least be exciting. In those games there will be frailties and errors, due mainly I suspect to the fact we have left ourselves exposed but it is not those games that will ultimately define our final league position, it is how we perform against the likes of Palace and Sunderland, et al. So far I am happy with what I have seen, we are fluid and creative and the longer the season goes on that can only improve.

When we take a hit there will be many on here who want a scapegoat, that''s life I guess, and typically it will be a defender. I find it odd that a midfielder can miss a header or misplace a pass and it is either forgiven or not picked on, simply because it hasn''t directly lead to a goal, although it could be, and often is, an indirect cause. The keeper is the player most at risk, just look at Cech last week, two misjudgements and bang, an attacker or midfielder making a misjudgement goes below the radar, and yet keepers and defenders are normally on a lesser pay scale.

IMO Alex Neil will be looking primarily for a striker and a winger/playmaker and a back up CB so he can release Turner, although that may still happen as we do have Wisdom if necessary and of course Toff played at CB for the U18''s, not that I''m suggesting he should play there in the Prem, but in an emergency?

Have a great day.