Sign in to follow this  
James Kent

Sunderland win showed what we are all about

Right, I know that Sunderland were very poor and look to be involved in the relegation fight this season but it was still a superb win for us to get us up and running.

Some key points:

• Jerome was superb
  • Dominated big time (56% possession, 19 shots)
  • Two assists for Wes (could be key this season)
  • Sharing the goals around (three different scorers)
  • Redmond on a roll (2 in 2)

Read more here: https://www.the-newshub.com/football/norwich-city-sunderland-win-shows-exactly-what-alex-neils-men-are-all-about

We all know we only won because sunderland were so poor 😉

If Jerome was a better finisher we wouldn''t even be looking for a new striker. Has all attributes, pace, power, strength, works hard. Still think he''s a very important player and has alot to offer this season.

Good to see us dominating possesion and winning. Good to see that we took our chancestors when we was on top too.

Wes seems to get better with age. Don''t think he will be starting every game but he will be massively important this season.

[quote user="James Kent"]I know that Sunderland were very poor[/quote]

People keep saying this, but I''m not going to think that when we win a match it''s because the opposition were poor, even if that''s what the press and pundits want to focus on - that is just doing us down. Sunderland would have come out yesterday with all the intention of seeing us off, well up for the battle and ready to go.  The first half was fierce and quite competitive - but we simply played them out of the match.  Yes, then they looked demoralised at 2-0 down - no surprise there - but they were only poor because we made them look poor.   If we hadn''t been so good, it might have been different, they might have looked a better team against us, but we were simply too good.   We won the game not because Sunderland were poor, but because we were the better team.  

But otherwise agree, it was a scintilating performance and one that should give us confidence going forward into the season. 

Sunderland will definitely be in a relegation fight this season, but make no mistake, we were better in every area yesterday, quicker on the ball worked harder off the ball, and they only played as well as we allowed them, we will have harder games this season obviously, but if we can replicate yesterday''s work rate and game plan we will be fine.

While I agree we were excellent yesterday and dominated the tempo of the game, I doubt we will play a less organised and less motivated team this season. The amount they stood off us was quite remarkable, and the lack of interest and concentration for the third goal was just comical. Their deficiencies were glaringly obvious and bordering on embarrassing, but the way we took advantage of those deficiencies was highly impressive. To be fair, this became more evident the longer the game went on, suggesting that our superior pressing, passing and technique blew them away. Our brilliance in the first half won us the game, but the lack of resistance and fight in the second half is not something we''re likely to experience too often this season.

They were poor after we were two up. Before that they were getting stuck in and there were a number of tasty tackles going in.

The thing I want to take from this game is how well we played not how rubbish they were.

Don''t forget we have Olsson and Mulumbu to come back along with the striker we will surely get. Long season coming up and better teams than Sunderland to face but plenty of positives to take from the first two games.

We were excellent yesterday but Sunderland were almost certainly the worst team we''ll face this season and we wont get an easier game. The space they gave us, as Feed The Wolf says, was unbelievable. The third goal typified that but they did it all over the pitch and at times I dont think we could believe how much time we were getting on the ball. As well as defending woefully as a team in their inability to press or win a second ball, they also had some shocking individual performances such as Van Aanholt who had a right mare - his afternoon unravelled after he mis-controlled on the left touchline twice in succession in the first half much to our crowds enjoyment. We scored two brilliantly worked goals though, and some of the link up play around the box was a joy to watch. But I think its a valid point to look at Sunderlands ineptitude because I for one cant remember watching a worse performance against us away by an EPL team in recent years?

When we get well beaten by one of the big boys no-one says they won because we were poor. So why the double standards.We won because we outplayed them and had more desire. OTBC.

Saturday''s game reinforced my hopes of last season that we were well above Champs standards. Our passing game and pressing worked against Sunderland as it did vs Champs teams last season, and the fact that last week we managed to put two good goals behind a Palace team that was a hard nut to crack for Arsenal fills me with further optimism. Bring on Stoke City!

It underlined on Saturday that we have a very together and very focussed team with a lot of strength of character in there.

We don''t look out of place skill wise or excessively lacking in any area.

It appears to me we need some depth but have a great bunch of lads that bringing in the wrong guy would be a mistake. The player/s we bring in need to be right for the skills we require but also have to fit into this group.

Also, shows how well prepared we are for games. Alex neil really is a superb manager I love his mentality. It interests me how/if he will change when playing one of the "big boys", I think next week we''ll start the same v Stoke. can''t say I''m not worried about shaquiri, I can''t believe we live in a world that Stoke have bought a player like that it''s absurd!

We were certainly better at moving the ball about quickly and also keeping possession. This was impressive, and a pleasure to watch. I liked the two goals scored from quick one-twos, showing a cohesion we have not had before AN''s arrival. Bodes well for the future.

But where was our defence when Watmore scored? He had so much time and space, - little wonder that AN was furious. We switched off, and copied Sunderland. It will really cost us if we do this against better opposition.