Sign in to follow this  
city-till-i-die

James Collins

Not a bad player. Tidy and decent for this level... For Less than 3 million I''d take him.

If true, it does make you wonder why we''ve signed Wisdom? Not currently getting in ahead of Whit, Martin or Bassong... Another Centre Back would surely limit his options more?

The way I see it, we need 8 players you would confidently play in our defence. There is room for one more CB and Collins would be an upgrade on Turner, definitely. He was until v recently a regular for west ham. Wisdom is here as competition for Whittaker.

Maybe Neil doesn''t think much to r benno and he will be off as well as Turner if we get someone like Collins?

[quote user="Lewis DW"]Not a bad player. Tidy and decent for this level... For Less than 3 million I''d take him.

If true, it does make you wonder why we''ve signed Wisdom? Not currently getting in ahead of Whit, Martin or Bassong... Another Centre Back would surely limit his options more?[/quote]

Long season though. Bassong is prone to niggles and our main back up Bennett is very injury prone. Whits deserves his place currently so Wisdom may have to bide his time.

As for Collins, he is a decent experienced centre half who is an upgrade on current back up players. The issue might be whether he is better than Bassong & Martin - that is what we need. VVD will probably go to Southampton who look in need of defensive reinforcements. After yesterday he might think again about choosing Sunderland!

I agree he is better than our back ups, would he start I don''t know tbh but he is good cover. I don''t know how much he would cost, would still prefer Curtis Davis but that maybe a finincial step too far. He does strengthen us and we can get rid of Turner.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="city-till-i-die"]Rumour : Sky sports

Norwich are leading the chase for James Collins wetspam CB[/quote]

We need a pacey centre half IMO.

James Collins is hardly much of an upgrade on Turner.[/quote]

I don''t think we need a pacey centre half at all, our centre backs are no slower than any in the league and quicker than quite a lot. Try and remember a time when a striker was through one on one against Ruddy due to our CB''s being to slow?

It''s worth pointing out that Kaboul was suggested on here as an otpion. Didn''t look great yesterday!

Collins wouldn''t be a bad addition, I thought Villa looked weak when they sold him to West Ham.

Experienced and has great character which would fit in with the team ethos. At his age he would be a short term option say a couple of seasons but does that matter if he helps stabilize us in the top flight. He would be a modest signing on fee too. Yes VVD would be great but it is apparent that we are struggling to attract bigger names. That said a few more wins like yesterday and that may begin to change

He is certainly experienced, but I had hoped that we would sign someone with a little more about them. I can see, however, what his appeal might be - a cheap, temporary stop-gap until we can get more money, establish ourselves and be able to afford more.

I am not sure that he is much better than Michael Turner, and fear that both of them are vulnerable to the kind of pace they will find against them.

What about John Terry? Old, slow, soon to be available and a very nice chap to boot.

[quote user="Fuzzar"]Wouldn''t want us to spend much on him given he''s 32 in a week''s time.[/quote]Huzzah! [Y]We should stay well clear of him.

It''s a bit stupid to judge a player on his age alone - plenty of pros look after themselves nowadays. If he''s good and fit enough I''m sure he could have a couple of seasons

[quote user="Lewis DW"]Not a bad player. Tidy and decent for this level... For Less than 3 million I''d take him.

If true, it does make you wonder why we''ve signed Wisdom? Not currently getting in ahead of Whit, Martin or Bassong... Another Centre Back would surely limit his options more?[/quote]

Because the season lasts for 38 games and you get injuries, suspensions and loss of form. It''s amazing the number of people who seem to forget these rather basic facts.