Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Whittaker in Team Of the Week

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33954348"There were some impressive displays for the Canaries and probably the

best was from full-back Steve Whittaker. A fabulous move resulted in an

excellent finish by the adventurous Scot and this was no fluke. I''ve

seen the defender score goals like this before"

Well would you adam and eve it?!

He did have a good game but Wes was my Overall MOTM. However with all the quality attacking midfielders in the PL, none of ours would get a shout by the pundits unfortunately

I''m not a big Whittaker fan, but credit where it is due, he scored a fantastic goal (if only Wolfy displayed that kind of strength and finishing once in a while!), and sounds like he had a very good game (couldn''t get a TV stream as had weak wifi when game was played, so had to listen to Goreham).
Hopefully he will turn in displays like that more often, although I am concerned at the prospect of him coming up against the Hazards etc of the bigger teams.

[quote user="city-till-i-die"]Sun dream team gave Wes a 6 rating lol Which is just laughable. Thought he was outstanding[/quote]

Just based on his two assists alone he was worthy of at the very least a 7. If David Silva had produced those touches we wouldn''t hear the end of it.

Whitaker was very very good, he is our best defender going forward

His only weakness is against pace and Sunderland did not have any

Whits deserved his place in TOTW, we see flashes of that side of his game every season, lets hope against the weaker sides at least, that we see more of it. Watching the Man City v Chelsea game last night and thinking about our right back berth - we all agree I think that Whittaker is better going forward than defending and some have said he isnt good enough and we need to upgrade, but how many full backs in the division are actually equally as good at doing both? How many wouldnt get caught out like Ivanovic did last night against the pace of Sterling and strength of Kompany? Im not too sure there are any that dont have weaker sides to their game, and maybe after Saturdays display we should embrace the fact we''ve got Whittaker and try and play to his strengths as we did rather than complain about his weaknesses. He''ll be on toast against Sterling, Hazard etc but against most he''ll do OK and if he can chip in a couple of goals and assissts as well then so much the better.

He came to play PL. Other PL clubs were interested. I''ve said before - if he belonged to another club he''d be touted by fans as a good target for us. I wonder how many team''s fans aren''t concerned of the prospect of their right back coming up against the Hazards etc of the bigger teams....

Thoroughly deserved for Whitts, thought Redmond and Wes could have made National recognition, but then again with 2 weeks left of the window maybe we don''t want any spotlights on our players.

"Sun dream team gave Wes a 6 rating lol Which is just laughable. Thought he was outstanding"

How do you get 2 assists and get a 6??

[quote user="city-till-i-die"]Sun dream team gave Wes a 6 rating lol Which is just laughable. Thought he was outstanding[/quote]......

Yes, Sun rating laughable, I checked his point tally (Sun Dream Team) and he currently scores 6 pts despite two top quality performances and assists. To get a score of 6/10 after his Sunderland efforts makes me want to write into the Sun with a formal complaint.

nutty nigel wrote the following post at 17/08/2015 10:29 AM:

He came to play PL. Other PL clubs were interested.

-------------------

do you have any sources for this?

[quote user="mrs miggins"]nutty nigel wrote the following post at 17/08/2015 10:29 AM:

He came to play PL. Other PL clubs were interested.

-------------------

do you have any sources for this?[/quote]

It''s a long while ago Miggo and there was a lot of acrimony at the time towards the players who didn''t want to hand around. But there were a lot of clubs inclding PL clubs reported to be interested in all the rebels. Whits hadn''t long signed an extended contract because Rangers wanted to hang on to him.

That''s the only source I have. Has anyone got any sources to say Norwich were the only club in for him? Or do you remember what was said at the time to that effect? It would be much harder to believe that an international right back from the Rangers of that time only had Norwich interested in him.

You''re talking about when he first came to us, I was going to say, I couldn''t remember him being linked with any PL team whilst he was with us.