Sign in to follow this  
rich

why are we all big doc fans this season?

so he loses a few pounds, so he''s not craig fleming,
so it looks likes he''s gonna get a few games, but why are
we all big doc fans now.

last season he was a joke, he looked out of shape and not a
premier league quality player. he''s too slow and doesn''t
read the game well enough to be a centre back.

I say if doc and shackell are our centre back partnership
then we''ll still let in those goals and people will probably
bring green or something.

how long does it take to get a decent centre back here, we''ve waited
a long time for one, don''t lets give up now.

firstly, i never thought he was as bad as everyone said. but anyway.......

he has lost weight - a big problem for him last year was he was too fat and clumsy. He is now slim and hopefully less of a donkey.

also, to go to all the effort he has gone to shows he means business. So its promising

I think you''ve hit the nail on the head I''m afraid beds
canary, I hope very much that the doc proves me wrong,
I''m worried he may not though.

I think this is harsh.

I didn''t see him not reading the game, in fact he looked in total control in the games that I saw - and let''s not forget, he was playing alongside the Flem-meister.

Strong in the tackle, great in the air, good passer (comparatively) and a lot of top level experience.

I think this is just another Svensson case - the face doesn''t fit, and people have already decided he''s not going to do the business.

PS - I was a Doc fan last season too. I hope he shows what he''s capable of, because he''s played at a higher level than EVERY single other member of our "illustrious" team! I''m sure he will be great alongside Shack or Charlton.

Is there any reason why we should not be ''doc fans''? He has the potential to be a bloody good defender, (try reading some of the Spurs fans opinions on him before he got injured) who was Player of the Month at one stage last season and then promptly dropped. He is better than Fleming, and should definitely be lining up alongside Shackell this season.

I am not sure we are all big doc fans this year - I think the support he has comes from a couple of factors

1. The reality of facing a far lower standard of striker this season combined with

2. an acceptance that the club has a limited transfer budget and other areas of the squad need strengthening have 4 centre backs at champs level    

3. recognition that Doc out-performed Flem when partnered and is at an age when he can still improve and charlie is totally out of favour.

He deserves a chance and is a far better option than using flem or blowing our limited? transfer budget on a replacement...

OTBC 

Respect to the Doc. He was overweight and not on top of his game. He knew he needed to do something about it and responded in the right way to the club''s orders to knuckle down and sort it out. If only Mulryne had done the same.

I think he and the Shack could form a very solid championship centre pairing. They''re not prem quality, but we can''t expect that in the championship.

However, we all know that the flemster will start against coventry and will soon be glaring at his fellow defenders after a mistake of his own.

:

I''m a Doc fan this season. If the guy has buckled down and improved his fitness and gives his all in the yellow shirt – all power to him. He seemed to cop some unfair criticism IMO last season when I personally thought he performed solidly considering his lack of matches/ fitness. While Jonson seemed to be impervious to criticism despite a string of poor performances. A fully fit, motivated and confident Doherty playing in position will be fine for this season – alternatively we could fork out on someone such as Darren Purse who I think is no better than the Doc.

The only thing that really annoyed me about the doc was that he couldnt clear a ball if his life depended on it. Every clearance is sliced or goes straight up in the air. Other than that I didnt see much wrong with him, and I admire the fact that hes buckled down and lost the weight. Good luck to him.

The doc is clearly a much better defender than Flembo and has a height advantage over Charlie.

He certainly didn''t look match fit last season, but now he''s rumoured to be fit, he could be our new centre half.  I certainly think he has the potential to be a lower-half prem player.

Its amazing how a lack of fitness can affect player''s concentration and maybe this season will give Doc the chance he needs to work his way into the team.

OTBC!

Chunky

I''ve got a good friend who''s a season ticket holder at Spurs and he laughed his nuts off when we signed the Doc for 750k.The guy''s a lumbering fool - always has been.Really dont understand what Fleming has done to upset you guys so much.

Have you forgotten that 14 months ago he was picking up the Barry Butler trophy for his ever-present , 100 per cent consistent performances at ''this level''. Ok , so Flem may have struggled in the Prem , but not too many of our players covered themselves in glory either, did they ? The fact is he was playing at a standard too high for his ability.Same could be said of all of our squad last year excepting Hucks , Greeno (and Leon and Deano , given time).The Premiership is probably the toughest top division in Europe right now and the quality of strikers that you end up facing week-in week-out is phenomenal.

Fleming will be fine in the Championship next season just as he was in our promotion year.The things that you can say about the guy are that he is Norwich through and through,never dodges the press after a poor game,always makes himself available (played games while carrying injuries last year)  and always gives 100 per cent.

I still feel that if the Doc had played the last few games of last season we may still have been in the Premiership. He wouldn''t have been out jumped on several occassions like Fleming was conceeding goals. Doc was dropped because he made mistakes Fleming made more mistakes and was ever present!

The Doc and Shackell in central defence would suit me if nobody else was signed.

Maverick, just like we forgot about Fleming''s performances, your Spurs supporting friend forgot just how highly they rated Doherty before he got a bad injury.

Since then he has definitely suffered from confidence problems and the odd fatness .... sorry, fitness issue - but he can be, and in my opinion will be a good player for us in the Champ and hopefully on into the prem.

And anyway. Even if he is a "lumbering fool" surely a lumbering fool that can head a ball and doesn''t rollock his team mates for his own mistakes is better than one that does?!

You make an interesting point , Mook.Im just saying that I didn''t see too many people slating Fleming before last season.

No, he played well last season, but was two years younger and playing against a much lower standard of opposition. We need to get the Doc in there, put up with a couple of howlers (everyone makes them!) and let him grow into the defence with Shackell. It''s the partnership for the prem...