Sign in to follow this  
magic_eyes

Captain?

Do you think Drury is the right man to be captain? Or would we be better served by having someone like Malky, Flem or Holty, real battlers who can lift and lead the team when the going gets tough?

I think Drury''s performances have suffered a bit this year since he has been captain, and he always strikes me as being a bit quiet on the pitch and I''m not sure he is the type of character to lead from the front.

OTBC

This was a topic of discussion on this board a few months back and most of us were unsure about it then. Now, after half a season, i definitely feel it has been a mistake. His performances have been below the level of last year''s and we haven''t had anything back in return for that like inspired leadership or anything. I think the feeling was that he could do a Beckham - grow into the role and lead by example. Fair enough, but he hasn''t done either of those things.
Defenders do usually make the best captains and our most ever present, consistent defender without question is Fleming. And he has a bit more authority about him.

Fleming for captain!

I''m too far away to form an opinion on Adam''s performance change but it does sound like it''s a subject needing pretty quick attention. By all accounts something is going on with Drury because prior to the captaincy almost everything I read about him was glowing. Although I hope there is open dialogue going on between Adam and Nigel as to what''s required ( if anything ) if such communication is not taking place it it certainly wouldn''t hurt for Nigel to initiate a quiet dinner with Adam to discuss. They are both big boys and, in their respective roles, can figure out what''s in the overall best interest of the team.

I would have Roberts as our captain but he cant coz he doesn''t play enough games so i would say 1 of the 2 centre backs or even Greeno. He has got a lot of respect from the players!

Drury is the furture of the club and hopefully he will be here for some time yet. He will probably get more assertive as a captain with time. My other choices would be Flemming or Holt, providing he signs a new contract that is.

It would be very difficult for Drury to match the outstanding performances from last season. Nigel must also have had his reasons for making him captain. As far as I am concerned we are 3 weeks into the new year and clear at the top of the division, so the captain can''t be doing too bad a job.

One for the future would be young Shackell.

Shackell has a captain''s authority about him, in the way he plays and carrys himself - definitely one for the future.

The "natural" Captain is without doubt Malkay...he demonstrates more leadership and authority than any other player on the team. The choice of Captain has little to do with playing ability, but it is about being able to get ordinary players to do extraordinary things, and "Braveheart" has that ability.

If the captaincy was to change hands, I''d go with Malky too. He''s done it before successfully (he was captain in the playoff run, wasn''t he?) and is the sort of player that can give Mulryne a kick up the backside for a poor performance, and can also lead by example. Having said that, Fleming and Holt would both be good alternatives. However, as was mentioned earlier, we''re top of the league and the team is in the best shape it''s been in for a number of years. I''d happily concede a Drury loss of form if it ensured promotion.

if that''s your attitude Kolin, there''s no point joining this board!
what do we know about who should be captain? the same as we know about formations, about who should go right wing, about who should play up front...
not much, but it''s still fun to have a go!

I also go with Malky - looking at the ruck at Rotherham, he was right in there trying to sort it out, protecting Hucks. Not sure where Drury is but he''s not as prominent