Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

One concern from Saturday

In both matches this season Howson has played as a wide player. He is talented enough to perform there, but I rate him as better than Dorrans currently, although AN seems to prefer Scottish players.

There is a real problem when Olsson returns, and AN will presumably wish to play Brady, his big signing, further up the pitch. If Redmond plays as well, and Wes, either Dorrans or Howson will start on the bench. There is also the problem of Tettey v. Mulumbu soon.

People say that it is nice to have so much good cover for each position, but not picking Howson could weaken our swift passing game.

Agree Salopian, but would rather have an abundance of riches, horses for courses etc than be wondering'' what do we do now ?'''' when injuries/suspensions kick in later in the season. Alex is building a squad, not a team, and every player and supporter must buy into this. Or jog on.

What a load of crap, AN prefers Scottish players ? wrong he prefers players that buy into his philosophy, to suggest otherwise is total bonkers, and cant believe I just read that ! start backing your manager, unless you don''t want to because he is Scottish ?

Cant believe AN favours Scottish players, he surely picks the best available for the job in hand. This is a non starter as a theory. Utter tosh.

What a fantastic headache to have;

Ofoe, Bennet, Andreu, BJ, Brady, Redmond, Howson, Tettey, Mulumbu, Dorrans, O''Neil, and Hoolahan all fighting to be one of 5 across the middle.

Surely that must be one of the strongest midfield''s to pick from as a manager.

[quote user="Salopian"]In both matches this season Howson has played as a wide player. He is talented enough to perform there, but I rate him as better than Dorrans currently, although AN seems to prefer Scottish players.

There is a real problem when Olsson returns, and AN will presumably wish to play Brady, his big signing, further up the pitch. If Redmond plays as well, and Wes, either Dorrans or Howson will start on the bench. There is also the problem of Tettey v. Mulumbu soon.

People say that it is nice to have so much good cover for each position, but not picking Howson could weaken our swift passing game.[/quote]

A real problem. A problem is not having players. It may be a problem to you but it won''t be for AN.

Dorrans has an excellent range of passing, is very classy and also quite underrated by a lot of Norwich fans. I''m hoping to see him in our first eleven more often than not this season. Can''t see where Johnson is going to fit in on a regular basis, especially when Brady reverts back to midfield.

Johnson had more bad games than good last time in the premier league, I seem to remember. He''s a hardworker but take away his goals and he doesn''t offer as much as the other midfielders in the fluid way we now play. Progression right there!

I wonder whether we''ll ever see Vadis. Neil said he needs to work on his play when we don''t have the ball. Not accustomed to the pressing we do, i''d imagine. Certainly has some vision and passing when we are on the offensive. Can only see his opportunities coming in cup games and, maybe, dislodging O''Neil on the bench if he performs well!

The midfield certainly looks strong these days!

Much rather have the dilemma of Tettey vs Mulumbu than:

Arsenal:

Walcott, Chamberlain, Ramsey, Cazorla, Ozil, Sanchez, Wilshire, Welbeck, Rosicky, Flamini, Arteta, Coquelin

Chelsea:

Oscar, Hazard, Ramires, Fabregas, Moses, Matic, Willian, Cheek, Mikel, Traore, Cuadrado

Even Palace:

Zaha, Cabaye, Bolasie, Lee, Jedinak, McArthur, Sako, Puncheon, Mutch, Ledley, Kaikai, Bannan, Guediora

IMO Dorrans has be excellent so far this season, and was immense on saturday totally bossed the midfield. The premier league suits Dorrans game and the way AN sets the team up also suits Dorrans . He has been a great buy, at a snip of a price when you look at the silly money being thrown around ATM.

Howson is, in many ways, the ideal midfielder for Alex Neil''s system. He has great energy and mobility which means he flourishes in our hard-pressing defensive style but is also very good technically. We''ll see plenty of him throughout the season and, more often than not, in central midfield. 

Dame to Blame wrote: IMO Dorrans has be excellent so far this season, and was immense on saturday totally bossed the midfield. The premier league suits Dorrans game and the way AN sets the team up also suits Dorrans .

...........................................................................................................................

From what I saw he was directing a lot of play by shouting and pointing to team mates while to pass it - like a traffic cop on points duty - not sure if that''s bossing midfield ??!! He was the least effective of the front 6 and if he didn''t have those other players around him he would be shown up big time ! Like when he was in those friendlies, each time (or half) he played the team struggled.

Look we don''t need a quarter back that does nothing but thinks he calls all the shots. I prefer Howson who uses his all action football do the talking.

Dorrans played well against Palace so I''m ok if he continues in the side. But if its at the expense of one of our better players then forget it !

-------------------Ruddy-------------

Whittaker--Martin--Bassong--Olsson

-------------------Tettey-----------------

Redmond--Howson--Johnson--Brady

-------------------Jerome----------------

Is the system that I think we''ll settle on not including additions which are likely to come. However, I must say that I also think Dorrans has done really well at the start of this campaign and atm is the obvious starter.

I think its great - and not a concern at all. 

Its all about opinions but for me dorrans was a revelation on sat,  particularly in the first 60 mins, on sat;   great energy,  crisp passing and was the stand out player for me in a whole team playing well;  easily his best game in a city shirt - and one where he was mainly centre right  - further across than I have seen him before. 

Howsons flexibility is great and while not naturally a wide left player he showed that class will perform wherever,  and was a def step up in ability over BJ there.  

Its a great position for AN to be in,  Mulumbu, Tettey, Howson, Wes, Dorrans, Brady & Redmond all genuine prem class players;   they wont all play every week and thats the managers headache - managing their expectations and picking those in form;   add in great cover in BJ, O''Neil & VOO and midf is not a problem area.

Personally my preferred midfield right now & based on what I have seen this season is Mulumbu behind Redmond, Dorrans Wes & Brady; That we are playing well with injuries means it is would be hard on both Howson & Tettey who have played very well so far and at least they have the advantage of having a starting place and playing well making it hard to be.   Thats what a prem quality strength in depth squad is all about - having confidence in whichever 5 from 7 are chosen.  And I do

mrs miggins'' preferred eleven:

-------------------Ruddy-------------

Whittaker--Martin--Bassong--Olsson

-------------------Tettey-----------------

Redmond--Howson--Johnson--Brady

-------------------Jerome----------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you think the BJ substitution for Hoolahan on Saturday was a good one Miggins ? It was on 62 minutes.

I thought it changed the game completely. We had our foot on Sunderland''s throat. Sunderland having to attack was well & truly open to the counter attack. Hoolahan having been involved with 2 goals already was starting to run at them as well. We could have had 5 or 6 but instead the substitution killed our momentum and they got a goal back.

Jerome & Redmond also went off and we did attack afterwards but these were uncoordinated. Hoolahan is a key player and should never be left out.

ZippersLeftFoot wrote :

Its all about opinions but for me dorrans was a revelation on sat, particularly in the first 60 mins, on sat; great energy, crisp passing and was the stand out player for me in a whole team playing well; easily his best game in a city shirt - and one where he was mainly centre right - further across than I have seen him before.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coincidence isn''t it Zipper ??? - Hoolahan is subbed off (62 minutes) and suddenly Dorrans becomes average - oh dear what''s happened ??

[quote user="Six Pack"]Dame to Blame wrote: IMO Dorrans has be excellent so far this season, and was immense on saturday totally bossed the midfield. The premier league suits Dorrans game and the way AN sets the team up also suits Dorrans .

...........................................................................................................................

From what I saw he was directing a lot of play by shouting and pointing to team mates while to pass it - like a traffic cop on points duty - not sure if that''s bossing midfield ??!! He was the least effective of the front 6 and if he didn''t have those other players around him he would be shown up big time ! Like when he was in those friendlies, each time (or half) he played the team struggled.

Look we don''t need a quarter back that does nothing but thinks he calls all the shots. I prefer Howson who uses his all action football do the talking.

Dorrans played well against Palace so I''m ok if he continues in the side. But if its at the expense of one of our better players then forget it ![/quote]Umm well i must have been watching a different game to you S/P.  He was certainly not the least effective of the 6 and was driving the team on, and as for been shown up without the others LOL im sure AN would be having a good old laugh at the comment