Sign in to follow this  
ur just a man in a jacket

Whittaker bashers are quiet........

You seem to have a very black and white view of the world. I don''t think Whittaker is good enough, but I am old enough to recognise a decent performance. Players get criticised when they play badly, or make crucial errors. If you feel Whittaker received a lot of criticism last season, then maybe you should look at why. He is decent going forward but he is pretty terrible at defending. Watch through the highlights from last half of last season, and tell me who is directly responsible for the majority of goals we conceded... He is the weakest link in our defence, and gets abused by anyone with a bit of pace.... That doesn''t mean people have some vendetta against him and will criticise him even when he has played well though. What a weird thread.

[quote user="kick it off"]You seem to have a very black and white view of the world. I don''t think Whittaker is good enough, but I am old enough to recognise a decent performance. Players get criticised when they play badly, or make crucial errors. If you feel Whittaker received a lot of criticism last season, then maybe you should look at why. He is decent going forward but he is pretty terrible at defending. Watch through the highlights from last half of last season, and tell me who is directly responsible for the majority of goals we conceded... He is the weakest link in our defence, and gets abused by anyone with a bit of pace.... That doesn''t mean people have some vendetta against him and will criticise him even when he has played well though. What a weird thread.[/quote]

The opposition.

I think Whittaker is playing in a position we should improve after a CB and ST are bought followed by buying a CAM to improve on Wes.

All our players can show Prem quality on their day, it''s just slowly buying players are are more consistent.

I''m all for improving every position but I cant think of a player we could buy who woudnt struggle against the more skilful PL wingers. Anyway, I think with Whits, Wisdom and Martin we''ve got what we''re going with this season in that position. But I guess you never know...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I''m all for improving every position but I cant think of a player we could buy who woudnt struggle against the more skilful PL wingers. Anyway, I think with Whits, Wisdom and Martin we''ve got what we''re going with this season in that position. But I guess you never know...[/quote]
Think you''re right Nutty, may be a case of RB by committee with Wisdom coming in against the quicker wingers to stop Whitts lack of pace being exposed.

I think Whitts gets less cover behind Nathan than Olsson does behind Brad - leaving him a bit more exposed.

He is great going forward, but a downside to that is that he can be caught out of position.

Other than when played out of position, he has done well for us, never gives less than 100%, and doesn''t hide when the fans get on his back.

Alex obviously rates him as well.

He''s just a good player.

Yeah, he''ll get done by a bit of pace but his positioning and reading of the game far better than many give him credit for.

Less pace than Olsson but more of a football brain.

didnt have to defend against such a poor team. So had the freedom of getting forward.

Hope it has built his confidence but he still ain''t quite good enough defensively for the prem

[quote user="kick it off"]You seem to have a very black and white view of the world. I don''t think Whittaker is good enough, but I am old enough to recognise a decent performance. Players get criticised when they play badly, or make crucial errors. If you feel Whittaker received a lot of criticism last season, then maybe you should look at why. He is decent going forward but he is pretty terrible at defending. Watch through the highlights from last half of last season, and tell me who is directly responsible for the majority of goals we conceded... He is the weakest link in our defence, and gets abused by anyone with a bit of pace.... That doesn''t mean people have some vendetta against him and will criticise him even when he has played well though. What a weird thread.[/quote]

Erm, name one goal he was directly responsible for us conceding because from the top of my head I can''t think of any. Since Neil came in we haven''t actually conceded many goals and had the best defence in the championship. Unfortunately some people have a vendetta and won''t recognise any of the good work he does and will concentrate on him getting done by a winger or something because "he has a lack of pace". Well personally I''ve only seen him get destroyed once and that was by Jordan Ibe at Derby, still didn''t cost us a goal and popped up with an injury time goal. The only player I''ve seen in our defence who really struggles against pace is Olsson, and I think you''d find he has cost us a lot more goals than Whittaker and was even being targetted by opposition managers as a weak link at Carrow Road.

Player plays well, people don''t say he''s crap- what a shocker.

He was poor against Palace so people said so, he played well against Sunderland and people have said so. Hardly rocket science is it?

Was alright against Palace too.

That wasn''t rocket science to see either.

Can''t say I agree with that- Zaha, Puncheon and Bolasie all had him on toast at different points during the game. All they had to do was drop a shoulder and run at him.

They had him "on toast" at some points during the game but actually at other points he defended against them quite well.

He did ok defensively and he was good going forward.

It was nothing like a "poor" performance. He did alright.

Strongly agree that Olsson cost us far more goals last season than whitts by switching off at the back post! A fact neglected by many because he has pace! Olsson is poorer in a one on one situation, think Adam drury proved you don''t need to be quick to defend one on one against a winger!!

[quote user="GJP"]They had him "on toast" at some points during the game but actually at other points he defended against them quite well.

It was nothing like a "poor" performance. He did alright.[/quote]

This, as so many of your other posts do, reflects the game and performances I saw. When I look at the stats they rarely agree with the Whits criticisms either. I think that for whatever reason, could even be because his face annoys fans when we''re losing, as soon as Whits makes a mistake the crowd are howling like they have been waiting for it. Olsson made many more last season without a murmer.  

In defence of the Whits haters, to sound like my old mate Rickyyyyyyy, this has always been the case for certain players since I started going and probably always will be.

Whits must have enormous strength of character to continually play through it and never react.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

as soon as Whits makes a mistake the crowd are howling like they have been waiting for it. 

[/quote]

I never understand why fans do this. It''s certainly not going to help the player play better. Alough they are paid a lot of money, and are seen as fair game by some, they are still human and it''s going to likely have a negative effect of them. It''s likely to lead to them either trying too hard which leads to mistakes, looking for the easy option so not to make a mistake, or trying to hide by not wanting the ball.

Any player giving 100% should be encouraged by the fans as hopefully that will give them a bit of extra confidence and help them play well.

Maybe this is just a nandy pandy hippy view of the world!

Always strong attacking but clear weaknesses as a defender;   consistent and reliable is always a plus,   as with brady for left mid there are cost effective options out there to improve on him (or martin) but its not a priority position for me,  accepting that he will struggle at times in most games he will be fine for the season,  and we can look to strengthen when we stay up next summer.

I think the main problem is his new hair, there''s a lot of hair envy taking place [;)]

He''s solid, reliable, unspectacular and always puts in a decent shift but will get found out from time to time (as will the whole of the current defence).

Apples

[quote user="mre2"]Any player giving 100% should be encouraged by the fans as hopefully that will give them a bit of extra confidence and help them play well.[/quote]

Totally this. ^^^

[quote user="mre2"]

Maybe this is just a nandy pandy hippy view of the world![/quote]

Maybe it is and maybe it isn''t, but give me an NPH over the player bashers any day.

What I fail to understand is the selective faith in AN. He is regarded pretty much as the New Messiah, but when he announces that Whitts is his first choice RB and shows by his selections and lack of urgency in recruiting a replacement CB that he has every confidence in Russ M, it apparently doesn''t register with their critics. If they''re good enough for AN why would anybody not get behind them as they do our other players?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="GJP"]They had him "on toast" at some points during the game but actually at other points he defended against them quite well.

It was nothing like a "poor" performance. He did alright.[/quote]

This, as so many of your other posts do, reflects the game and performances I saw. When I look at the stats they rarely agree with the Whits criticisms either. I think that for whatever reason, could even be because his face annoys fans when we''re losing, as soon as Whits makes a mistake the crowd are howling like they have been waiting for it. Olsson made many more last season without a murmer.  

In defence of the Whits haters, to sound like my old mate Rickyyyyyyy, this has always been the case for certain players since I started going and probably always will be.

Whits must have enormous strength of character to continually play through it and never react.

[/quote]

I think its pretty reductive to reduce people who disagree with your opinion on a player to a ''hater.'' I don''t hate Whitts, far from it, I just don''t think he''s all that great at this level. Maybe because I sit in the Jarrold near the halfway line I get a good 45 minutes a match watching him up close means I''m paying closer attention to him than others.

[quote user="GJP"]I also sit halfway line in the Jarrold.[/quote]

Oooh are you the friendly fellow who called me a see you next tuesday last time for calling the ref a bad word?

Whittaker reminds me slightly of Aaron Wilbraham.   Doesn''t look as elegant as some footballers - but boy doesn''t he try hard, just like Wilbraham does.  People said Snodgrass''s main asset was his effort and heart - well to me that''s what  Whitts does - never shies away from a challenge, even if things don''t always work and always gives 100% - and he is capable of scoring top quality goals, like Saturday - and the one a year or two ago at Swansea, amongst others.   He has been playing better since AN arrived (haven''t they all) and defensively he looks much more assured, as well as going forwards.   He will be found out occasionally, as will they all, but after his excellent performances towards the end of last season defensively and in attack, which he has continued with this season, he is rapidly becoming one of my favourite players.