Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Sandy Kennon RIP

Very sad news. I was at White Heart Lane in 1959 when he deputised for Ken Nethercott  in that FA Cup semi final and pulled off a couple of stupendous saves in the second half to earn us the replay. A lovely guy and an all time City stalwart, he will be sadly missed.

Ye, I was there too Ricky. To go from Ken Nethercott to Sandy and then on to Kevin Keelan, well we had some safe hands in those times.

RIP Sandy.......loved your big smile.

P.S: Did Sandy stay in the Norfolk area after retirement or, if not, where did he spend the rest of his life?

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

Ye, I was there too Ricky. To go from Ken Nethercott to Sandy and then on to Kevin Keelan, well we had some safe hands in those times.

RIP Sandy.......loved your big smile.

P.S: Did Sandy stay in the Norfolk area after retirement or, if not, where did he spend the rest of his life?

[/quote]Yes often saw him about the city. I believe he lived in Wroxham in later years.

RIP Sandy, never saw him play, but did meet him a few times and lovely man, a gentleman. And you could get a measure of him by the way the likes of Billy Punton and Terry Alcock talked about him, RIP.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]P.S: Did Sandy stay in the Norfolk area after retirement or, if not, where did he spend the rest of his life?[/quote]He worked as a rep for a whiskey firm for some years Yankee (can''t remember which one). He used to call round the Norfolk pubs in those days and I also saw him at the LVA trade fairs (I don''t think he ever dropped a bottle). [;)]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]P.S: Did Sandy stay in the Norfolk area after retirement or, if not, where did he spend the rest of his life?[/quote]He worked as a rep for a whiskey firm for some years Yankee (can''t remember which one). He used to call round the Norfolk pubs in those days and I also saw him at the LVA trade fairs (I don''t think he ever dropped a bottle). [;)]

[/quote]

Famous Grouse Lapp. That''s how I met him He used to come to the club and make sure I was selling it for at least 1p more than Bells! Grouse were tied up with a sponsorship for the rugby world cup and he brought me in a promotional rugby ball. He looked super fit in those days. I think he played a lot of golf.

RIP Sandy Kennon.

A lovely man who i last saw on a flight back from Majorca last year. I must say he looked somewhat frail and had lost weight but still a tall imposing smartly dressed gentleman.RIP to a true NCFC legend.

Lucky enough to enjoy his company over a meal at Carrow Road a good few years ago, lovely guy, from a different era for goalkeepers, when they where either brave or mad. He had a real affection for the club. RIP.

A sad loss another member of the 59ers gone :-(

Kennon part owned a small number of betting shops in the Norfolk area, i think they were taken over not that long ago by BetFred

RIP Sandy.Just shows you how time fly''s. Used to watch him from the river end as a kid. We always got sent to the front of the stand. He was like 5 foot from us.Them were the days. Football then on way home fish and chips.Wow time sure does fly !!!

Never saw him play, but approx 10 years ago a man came to view our car, with the possibility of buying it. This fella said, would I mind if he brought his Dad with him. Not at all I said. Short story long, the Dad was Sandy Kennon, and so I had the great pleasure of him sat in my front room, sharing a coffee, talking Norwich City.

RIP Sandy, a lovely man, and a legend of Norwich City

Was keeper when I first started going to matches at Carrow Road. He used to exchange a lot of banter with us fans in the Barclay end. As I recall, at that time he used to do window cleaning in his off time and we would tell him he was too small for a keeper and to bring his ladder to give him a bit of extra height!

He did indeed play golf NN I never had the pleasure of watching him play for City live, but enjoyed a few games of golf with him .

He was a real giant of a man both in build and in character and it was always a pleasure to be in his company.

my thoughts are with his family at this time

RIP Sandy.

My first City hero as a little lad, truly gutted about this. RIP Big Man. [W]

A true gentleman, and a close family friend. My grandparents and him and his wife were very close friends, as my granddad played for the club around the same time Sandy did. RIP Mr. Kennon.

I[quote user="Dave"]A sad loss another member of the 59ers gone :-(

Kennon part owned a small number of betting shops in the Norfolk area, i think they were taken over not that long ago by BetFred[/quote]Many years ago I remember he was involved with a small betting shop in St Stephen''s Square behind the Trowel & Hammer pub on St Stephen''s Rd. No idea if it''s still there but nearly all the independent bookies have now disappeared so it''ll be a Betfred if it is there.He was a bit before my time so I never got to see him play although I did meet him once at a Carrow Rd function. He looked incredibly fit for his age.RIP

[quote user="Crabbycanary3"]Never saw him play, but approx 10 years ago a man came to view our car, with the possibility of buying it. This fella said, would I mind if he brought his Dad with him. Not at all I said. Short story long, the Dad was Sandy Kennon, and so I had the great pleasure of him sat in my front room, sharing a coffee, talking Norwich City.

RIP Sandy, a lovely man, and a legend of Norwich City[/quote]that could well have been Gary Kennon who sang "canary rock and roll" in the early 90''s.Sandy obviously way before my time but older relatives have spoken of him, a top goalkeeper and nice guy all round it seems.we''ve been blessed with our goalkeepers over the years, Nethercott, Kennon, Keelan, Woods, Gunn...RIP Sandy