Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Who's next?

So we''ve now been interested in, made enquiries about or put in offers for umpteen strikers who, for one reason or another, won''t be coming here.We''ve even scoured Europe without success.There can''t be many strikers left now who are (1) good enough, (2) the right price, (3) available or (4) willing to come here.So my money is on us getting nobody new upfront, unless it''s some sort of loan deal.Would hate for us to gamble and squander good money on a last minute panick buy who might not be any better than what we''ve already got.Look like it''s going to be down to Jerome and RVW, Hooper, Lafferty and Grabban extracting the digit & doing what they get paid for, although I wouldn''t be confident of that happening.Oh for another Grant Holt.

It is frustrating to keep getting your hopes dashd but I think we are being hindered by Championship clubs clinging on to their finest in hope of winning the biggest jackpot in history next season and foreign players unconvinced about relocating to an unfashionable newly promoted team.

We may still have Mbokani in the pipe line but the interest in expensive forwards like Destro and Afobe must put this in doubt.

I would predict we''ll sign a raw striker on loan from a Premier League reserve side and no one else.

Well charlie Austin is still floating about... Know any other strikers who scored 18 in the prem last season at an affordable price?

Umpteen?  How can you know for certain which strikers we have definitely been interested & which ones are just speculation/rumours or even those that were perhaps just a small initial interest, but which we decided to not take further?

[:^)]

The more I think about it, the more important Jerome is to us IMO - he contributes well when we''re in possession, but more important if anything is what he contributes when we don''t have the ball, in closing down/catching our defenders. It means we can afford to have two attacking midfielders like Wes and Redders on the pitch because when we don''t have the ball, we have 10 outfielders who are all pressing the ball for much of the time.

Grabban is obviously the next choice, but I''m not sure if he can contribute well enough at Prem level - he was looking really good mid-season last year but jury''s still out. But our other strikers would just worry me if Jerome got injured at any point, so what I really want is someone who could cover/challenge him for a place.

People keep mentioning Mbokani but I very much doubt whether he is still in the picture, if he ever was. Why do we keep getting continually linked to other strikers?

Have we tried bundesliga yet? That Alex Meier would be a good fit... Still dicking about at Frankfurt afaik. He is 32 but smashed it last season! Reckon he would be affordable and by the time he gets too old for us, we will be an established side. Excellent stop gap.

Lol scrap that! He''s out for a while injured, thought it was strange I hadn''t heard his name all summer, remember seeing his name ever week banging goals in last season!

The melodramatic comments of "ooh we ain''t got a striker in"  "ooh it''s embarrassing" "laughable" etc etc do not help anyone.We have goals throughout the team.  We create chances and we score them.  Three on Saturday.  Four goals in two matches, should have been five with the CJ overhead.   So goals are not going to be a problem this season (assuming referee decisions balance out)  and they will come from whoever is on the pitch, from defenders to attackers.  Yes, it would be nice to buy a big money striker, but lets not start going on about it being laughable - that is just embarrassing. 

Sorry but what a pathetic OP

reeks of knobhead I''m afraid

"Oh to have another grant holt"

[quote user="Vanwink"]It sadly looks as if the club is not prepared to back AN in the transfer market.[/quote]

Come on waveney change the record

I think we should be having a look at Ideye Brown. Out of favour at WBA looks to lead the line and seeing footage playing for Dynamo Kiev he is a good finisher.

Why do you think that ? What just because we aren''t prepared to pay 15 million pound for a guy who has played 1 season in the premier league and managed just 3 goals more than holt did in his first season ? Or because we won''t pay about 10 million pound for a player who has only played half a season in the premier league and was on loan at mk dons this time last season ? Just because we aren''t prepared to pay way over the price we should do, doesn''t mean the board isn''t backing him. I''d love afobe here. But not for an astronomical price

All good players now cost astronomical sums , if you want to become an established top flight side you pay them , if you want one or two seasons up and then back to the Champs then you go for cheaper players . I doubt you could buy a player for £5 or 6 million that would improve our starting line up . 

[quote user="Vanwink"]It sadly looks as if the club is not prepared to back AN in the transfer market.[/quote]

You mean "Looks to me as if". Big difference there Vanwink. No evidence it looks that way to Alex Neil, which is all that matters.

Today, 7:20 PM

westcoastcanary

Joined on 15/08/2014

Posts 79

Re: Who''s next?

Vanwink wrote:
It sadly looks as if the club is not prepared to back AN in the transfer market.

You mean "Looks to me as if". Big difference there Vanwink. No evidence it looks that way to Alex Neil, which is all that matters.

AN will never come out and say that, it''s a measure of the man.

All you can do,is look at the facts, we desperately need signings and they havnt been made.

How can that been interpreted as supporting the manager WC

You know absolutely FA about Alex or what his ''measure'' is Winky. As to the facts.The board have backed him with a good chunk of the signings he wanted, and are still trying.

Great thread, and well worth debate.  
It was not all that long ago when I would have put "Who''s Next" in my personal top ten.  Ah, but even with those heady days of blind classic rock worship over, even with the days where I  considered my three favorite bands to be the Beatles, the Rolling Stones and the Who (with Pink Floyd coming in fourth, naturally) long a part of the past, with me now staying up late to cram a few more Sonic Youth or Leonard Cohen songs in there ("Love Calls You By Your Name" holdin it down) rather than a few more Cream or Queen songs (a yawn to the both of them), I still really enjoy this album. For roughly the same reasons, too.

What can I say? These guys had chemistry. Other than Entwistle, none of the Who''s three instrumentalists were virtuosos, but oh, did they play well together. Townshend, besides being a great songwriter (I''ll get to that part), knows his way around the guitar, playing powerful, economical leads that feel more like rhythm parts than solos. A big chunk of "Won''t Get Fooled Again," this album''s justly famous closing slab of unrestrained rock bombast, has long stretches of the guy simply playing his guitar. But his solos move the song forward, to the point where you don''t even notice the long running time - they feel like an essential part of the song''s framework, to the point where it just wouldn''t be the same without them. And Keith Moon, bless his heart, kicks out the fucking jams all over the place. He might''ve had trouble doing things like drumming below a certain speed or playing in a time signature other than four (the latter of which are mostly useless anyway. R.E.M. never used 17/8, did they?), but he could drive a song like no other. And Entwistle? Well, this doesn''t have any of the truly mind-boggling fretwork of Quadrophenia, but the guy''s combination of technique, melody, and finesse made him the best damn bassist of his generation. Slap Daltry''s roaring, tuneless but charismatic vocals on top of it, and you''ve got a recipe for guaranteed greatness.

Energy, chemistry, and economy are three things the Who have going for them, and three things that lift them far above that other British quartet popular in the early ''70s (far, far, far, far FAR above - sorry, Iai), but the real thing these guys had going for them was Pete''s songwriting. Pete might''ve grown more bombastic since early Who days (let''s all get together and face it, Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy is the most entertaining thing with the Who''s name attached to it, since you get the kickassery of the early singles without the filler of the early albums - I still think "The Kids Are All Right" is their best song, easily), but he hadn''t lost his way of carving great songs out of the most basic of chord progressions. Take "Baba O''Riley," for instance. The riff is as follows: An F (or G, or C, or D, I just learned it in F) chord, a C (D, G, A) chord, a B flat (A, D, E), each played once. Dah, dut duh. That''s the framework of the song. What are you gonna do with that?

I''ll tell you what. You''re gonna underpin it with a brilliant synth loop that''s repetitive without being monotonous. You''re going to give it a vocal melody roared by a newly minted badass - Roger''d been the weak link of the band''s earlier work, but he hit a peak around Live at Leeds, evolving into a fierce, charismatic singer with the best classic rock voice this side of Springsteen. And you have my favorite part, the completely random, completely awesome fiddle solo near the end. Most of these songs follow this formula - take a simple riff and beef it up with synths, prominent bass lines, and whatever other instruments Pete and pals felt like throwing on top - and they play it to the hilt, cranking out one taut, muscular classic after another. "Bargain," "Going Mobile," "My Wife" - irresistible rockers all, often with clever, humorous lyrics (Entwistle''s black comedy routine on "My Wife" never gets old). 

And if a song doesn''t start out rocking, fear not, because it probably won''t be long. This band is great at rocking, after all, since they seem to have touched upon what the other bombastic rockers (sans Springsteen, who I quite enjoy) failed to realize: that if you''re trying to be a big, bombastic, kick-ass rock band, it works best if your songs have some speed behind them, so people will describe you with adjectives such as "explosive" instead of "plodding." If you slowed this album down at all, it would probably sound a series of like (even more) boring, atypically synth-heavy outtakes from their turgid dinosaur contemporaries, Zeps and Sabs and Purps alike. Instead, the Who fire on all cylinders, the softer moments - the acoustic guitars that begin "Behind Blue Eyes," the pretty synth-heavy verses of "The Song Is Over," the stately piano that kicks off "Getting In Tune" - serve both as contrast (always an interesting thing to have around) and a chance for Pete to flex his melodic muscle. 

In fact, the only song that really doesn''t get off the ground, "Love Ain''t For Keeping," does so because its purely acoustic nature is ill-fitting within this context, although it''s the kind of song I''d totally go for (straightforward rock n'' roll not usually being my bag, and why was the phrase "my bag" ever allowed to go out of style?) - Roger and tender sex are two things that simply don''t go together in my head. Other than that, you can''t really go wrong here. This one has dimmed for me a little, but shit, it''s still great, one of the few examples of the bombastic arena early ''70s style succeeding.

Herman wrote the following post at 19/08/2015 7:43 PM:

You know absolutely FA about Alex or what his ''measure'' is Winky. As to the facts.The board have backed him with a good chunk of the signings he wanted, and are still trying.

You know no more than me Herman, I''m making a judgement on what I''ve seen so far, if you don''t wish to form an opinion that''s fine.

He has been backed with the easier signings, the crucial ones are still to be made.

A classic subverting of a thread Bor! Lol.

Live in Leeds is one of my favourites plus Moon''s fluid drumming on "Bargain"

Yeah, Brady was an easy signing.My opinion is that he has worked and played for very small clubs, so knows exactly what financial obstacles are in front of us, so won''t be throwing his toys out the pram just yet.

Herman wrote the following post at 19/08/2015 8:08 PM:

Yeah, Brady was an easy signing.

My opinion is that he has worked and played for very small clubs, so knows exactly what financial obstacles are in front of us, so won''t be throwing his toys out the pram just yet.

That''s fine Herman, it''s your opinion and I respect it, maybe show a bit more respect for the opinions of fellow posters eh?

[quote user="sonyc"]A classic subverting of a thread Bor! Lol.

Live in Leeds is one of my favourites plus Moon''s fluid drumming on "Bargain"[/quote]
"My Generation" on Live at Leeds, where it goes into Tommy and then just goes mental, plus "Magic Bus", is a joy to listen to even now.  Seek out the re-issue if you can find it, you get most of Tommy live on Disc 2.
Personally I never really "got" the Who but Quadrophenia is very good too.  More of a Small Faces/Stones fan personally.

I don''t have respect for the opinions of some fellow posters, Winky. I''m too old and tired to suffer fools.