Sign in to follow this  
NCFC198

Aviva to end main sponsorship deal

Aviva will end their sponsorship deal with NCFC from the start of 2016/17 season and become the new community partner of Norwich.

does this mean new sponsor on the shirt for 2016/17 season?

Let''s hope that we get a new sponsor who is willing to have their logo integrated into the kit designs instead of ruining them.

Mr. Mcnally says that work is in progress with regard to a new main sponsor but i suppose unless an announcement is made pronto the Nancy Negatives will be out in force on this thread.

"Mr. Mcnally says that work is in progress with regard to a new main sponsor but i suppose unless an announcement is made pronto the Nancy Negatives will be out in force on this thread. "

Did someone call my name? I''ve heard it''s going to be Poundstretcher. Steve Bruce''s recommendation apparently.

[quote user="kick it off"]Let''s hope that we get a new sponsor who is willing to have their logo integrated into the kit designs instead of ruining them.[/quote]

Yeeeeeeaaahhhhhhhh! How dare they give us absolutely millions and expect to do things their way! Unfortunately if you want corporate sponsorship, expect corporate behaviour. They pay to advertise their brand.

Steady on Howson. Thats a bit over the top (of the heads) for some contributors on this board.

If I had any control of Aviva''s promotional spend and seen some idiotic, thick comments regarding the company, I would have pulled the plug long ago.

Hopefully there will be a local mobile phone company banging on the door of the CEO wanting to be our new sponsor

Although a big name - the amount we have received from Aviva is tiny compared to a lot of Premier league clubs.

Hopefully whoever replaces them will put in a large amount of money - lets hope we stay in the PL as this will attract more sponsors.

My main dread however is the naming rights to Carrow Road sold with a new sponsor - Lets hope not, although I could cope with Carrow Road, sponsored by......

Wont be Coral, they are looking to do similar deals at other clubs. Personally I think Aviva is a great sponsor for Norwich, they present a great image and there are quite a few sponsors out there that I wouldn''t want to see on our shirts, box or no box, eg Wonga !

I should imagine this is a bit of a blow to NCFC. Aviva are by far  the biggest company in Norfolk, with a turnover in excess of  £15 million.  The second biggest (Greene King) only has a turnover of  £1 million.   Quite a difference.    I presume we will need to get a sponsor from outside  Norfolk who can afford enough to make it worthwhile - it will be interesting to see what happens and will probably depend on how we do over the next season or two.  We probably won''t know until the last minute because any possible big money sponsor would want to make sure we are going to be in the premier league before committing. 

I''d look at it as an opportunity, especially if we are still in the Premier League.  I can see an auction scenario developing with McNally on three phones negotiating the highest price.
If we are still in the PL, Sponsorship money is almost an irrelevance.  Maybe some other local financial companies like Marsh or Virgin Money would come in for us - VM having previously sponsored Newcastle. 
If not a local company then we would have global appeal if still in the PL, and could probably find a decent sponsor in any number of business sectors.
Not really a major issue unless we lose our PL status, basically.

I certainly see it as an opportunity too if we''re still in the Prem next season.

How about a cool sponsor like Lotus again rather than Digital Phone Company (or whatever they were called) or Flybe!

There was a business expert being interviewed about this on Radio Norfolk this evening. He reckoned our deal ( and any deal with local companies ) was a thing of the past for PL teams and we were one of the few left. Next year the PL will be a huge global product with the enormous Chinese and American deals so Companies appealing to these countries are queuing up to offer enormous sponsorship deals.

He also pointed out however that tv money from next year with the global deals will put any sponsorship into the small % of income bracket and stated that the money would be so huge that teams could almost do what Barca did and not have a sponsor.

Interestingly he also said gate receipts would be a minor part of clubs income.

Not too surprised by this personally, the man responsible in the main part for the deal left shortly after the last extension....and I suppose everyone is now familiar with the rebrand from Norwich Union to AVIVA so the outlay is quite substantial given the Rugby, Athletics, Sailing etc. Sponsorship they also do.

Remain a key partner and I am sure the club can get more money with a new sponsor. I personally have no care for who it is, as long as they are a moral company and give us a lot of money :)

If we stay in the PL I''d like it to be left blank or given over to a charity. The last thing I want is some random dodgy gambling site like half of the other PL teams have!

However if we were to get relegated then I understand the need to maximise income but it would be preferably to keep local..

As a point of interest here''s a list of the biggest companies in the East (NCFC are 55th)

http://www.edp24.co.uk/business/top-100-2015/table

[quote user="Well b back"]There was a business expert being interviewed about this on Radio Norfolk this evening. He reckoned our deal ( and any deal with local companies ) was a thing of the past for PL teams and we were one of the few left. Next year the PL will be a huge global product with the enormous Chinese and American deals so Companies appealing to these countries are queuing up to offer enormous sponsorship deals.

He also pointed out however that tv money from next year with the global deals will put any sponsorship into the small % of income bracket and stated that the money would be so huge that teams could almost do what Barca did and not have a sponsor.

Interestingly he also said gate receipts would be a minor part of clubs income.[/quote]I didn''t hear the interview but if correctly reported I am dubious about some of this expert''s views, in general and as far as they affect Norwich City.The TV deal that comes in next season is massive in terms of extra money for the clubs, but it doesn''t actually make the Premier League that much bigger a global product. It has been that for a while now, with coverage in the American and Asian markets, including China.As far as I am aware the deal doesn''t significantly increase the number of countries that can watch the PL, so companies will not be getting extra exposure as such. Multi-nationals may be lining up to sign deals, but they probably would have done anyway, and on the face of it there is no logic to them offering vastly greater sums of money.Then there is the question of whether such companies will want to sponsor the likes of us, and whether we would want to move away from a local sponsor.As to the idea that sponsorship will be a small percentage of income, given the increase in TV money, that is partly true, but not that true, if the expert is right about how massive these deals are going to be! An element of contradiction there. In any event, as far as we are are concerned, everybody gets the TV money, we get less than most, and we would certainly want to negotiate as lucrative a sponsorship deal as possible. I cannot see us doing a Barcelona.The argument here is similar to that over stadium expansion. Because everybody does get the TV money the way in which we can keep up with or gain a march on our rivals in the bottom half of the table is by increasing non-TV revenue, such as ticket sales, catering, and commercial, including sponsorship.Finally, the expert''s arguments, such as they are, apply to PL clubs. But they fall to pieces in the Championship, where we might again be, because of the vast drop in TV revenue (parachute payments notwithstanding) and the consequent increase, in percentage terms, of non-TV income.

[quote user="lake district canary"]I should imagine this is a bit of a blow to NCFC. Aviva are by far  the biggest company in Norfolk, with a turnover in excess of  £15 million.  The second biggest (Greene King) only has a turnover of  £1 million.   Quite a difference.    I presume we will need to get a sponsor from outside  Norfolk who can afford enough to make it worthwhile - it will be interesting to see what happens and will probably depend on how we do over the next season or two.  We probably won''t know until the last minute because any possible big money sponsor would want to make sure we are going to be in the premier league before committing. 

[/quote]

not sure if I''m reading this right LDC, but if you are suggesting the 2nd biggest company in Norfolk has a t/o of £1m , we might as well close the county down. At least two of the other sponsors of NCFC have turnovers far in excess.

You are missing three 000''s off your figures. Aviva will turnover about £14 billion this year.

Here are some facts on Norfolks business, Grant Thornton produce an annual report that shows the following facts, Norfolk PLC (all Norfolk business''s last year reported a combined turnover (source companies house) of £5.7 billion an increase of 10.7% over the previous year.

These numbers exclude likes of Aviva (worldwide) but include Anglian Home Improvements who increased t/o last year to £230m, Robinsons motor group were £283m, my own business is 5 years old and last year had a turnover of £16m, Norfolk has no shortage of successful business''s.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]LDC, you may be aware, that Greene King are Suffolk based, registered in Bury St Edmunds[/quote]

I didn''t dare mention that Lessingham :-)

Good news to be honest, No disrespect to Aviva who have done us proud in the past decade but we can and should be doing significantly better with sponsorship deals in this day and age. Football has moved on significantly since the Aviva deal began, and the £1m they''re paying us is nowhere near value for money considering the exposure they get from the Premier League worldwide. Assuming we stay up, there will likely be no shortage of firms keen to have their logo on a PL shirt. I wouldn''t be remotely surprised if our next sponsor isn''t even from the UK; let alone from Norfolk.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]LDC, you may be aware, that Greene King are Suffolk based, registered in Bury St Edmunds[/quote]

Yes, I was aware of that (having stopped at the Brewery Tap many times on my way back from London on my moped when I was a student) and was surprised at the list I was looking at - and thought their registered office must be in Norfolk somewhere.   On second looking, the list was for Norfolk and Suffolk. My mistake.