Sign in to follow this  
canary2211

Squad taking shape - 1 or 2 more ....

Personally I think it is taking shape:

Keepers Green/Ward/Lewis

RB: Louis Jean - cover Flem & Hughes

CB: Shacks, Doc - cover Flem, Charlton

LB: Drury - cover Charlton and Brennan

RM: Jarrett, or Loan/new boy - Bentley? Marney?

Mid: Safri, Francis - cover Hughes, McVeigh

Left mid: Hucks  - cover Brennan, McVeigh

Strikers: Leon, Deano - cover Jarvis, Thorne, Hendo

Criticial assumption: we don''t sell anyone (bit of a leap of logic I accept).

This is a squad capable of promotion providing they settle down quickly and gel. Remember you cannot build a new team overnight (witness Helveg and others last year) and wholesale changes are disruptive.

OTBC - can''t wait!

if we got all of hughes, marney and colins signed up this week i would be really happy and satisfied with the summer transfers. An added bonus would be a new right back

Good post 2211.

Just one thing about the last point you make though. Helveg & Jonson had never played in English football, let alone the Premiership when they came here last season and they both took plenty of time to adapt.

The good thing about the three - soon to be four hopefully - players that we have signed so far is that last season they were all playing in the same League that they will be this time so adapting should be no problem to them.

we have bought all our players from within the english league which is fantastic imo! Helveg and Jonson are good examples as you say, of players taking ages to adjust. All our players have done it before.

[quote]Good post 2211. Just one thing about the last point you make though. Helveg & Jonson had never played in English football, let alone the Premiership when they came here last season and they both ...[/quote]

Nobody has a better 1st eleven than us.  Ash, Hucks, Greeno, Shacks, Leon, Drury, Saf - even Francis on his day.

We don''t necessarily need more 1st teamers, we need squad players and cover, preferably without big outlays.

We can reassess in Jan if needed.

Strangely, I think we have the makings of a potentially better side than last season, but there still has to be a bit of concern over depth - too many players in that list are covering 2-3 slots, which is fine short term but it would only take 3-4 longer-term injuries (bound to happen at some stage), or possibly more, before we would be stretched a little too far.   A couple more in defence (I''m assuming we will get Hughes and Marney or Bentley), and I''ll be more than happy.

.....one thing I did notice, though, is that you''ve not mentioned any of the Youth players who have been playing in the friendlies (Cave Brown, Halliday et al) - perhaps one or two will come on into the first team this season? 

[quote]Strangely, I think we have the makings of a potentially better side than last season, but there still has to be a bit of concern over depth - too many players in that list are covering 2-3 slots, whic...[/quote]

I also was thinking that maybe we had another crack at the prem this season we would do better.

Anyway,the squad is small at the moment, but marney looks to be on his way and colin also could be coming

We must remember also that Safri will be away for a month for the Africa Nations Cup and will not play during Ramadam. I asked Neil Doncaster this question the other night and he said he wouldn''t be playing, as he wouldn''t be strong enough to play after not eating anything during the day.

Once again it goes to show that you can''t believe a word Worthy says. In the past we''ve heard the "Can''t afford Hucks/Ashton" porkies and the other day he said not much was happening on the transfer front, then all of a sudden we''ve got a defender, a midfielder on the way and hopefully another one on loan.

i think adding hughes and marney to the team will give us the squad we need for this season. A central defender could be a bonus but i dont think we need one

Good heavens, following the signing of Colin, if we also sign Hughes and Marney I would have to say that the squad is beginning to look quite good

All credit to Worthington if he pulls all the transfers off

[quote]Here we go then:Green - WardColin - ML-JDoherty - FlemShackell - CharltonDrury - BrennanMarney (Hopefully) - HendoFrancis - JarretSafri - HughesHuckerby - McVeighAshton - ThorneMcKenzie - JarvisSORTED...[/quote]

...and with a few Youth players as extra back up, I reckon that is pretty well done Worthy on that lot - still probably a smaller squad than most others in the division but imo there''s more quality in there than anyone else has got - I just hope we don''t get too many injuries.

Does anyone know the situation wrt Loans in this division now - ie is it still 3 - like in 03/04 season - and do we have to have them in by the end of the transfer window?