Sign in to follow this  
Scottlarock

Charlie Austin, next day or two.

That 50\1 wouldn''t be available. The OP would beg borrow and steal every penny he could and put it on at those odds and the bookmaker wouldnt still be offering it if it were true.

Norwich won''t spend £15m on Austin. Just can''t see it happening.

[quote user="Dead Canary"]Had a little look round the only link I found was someone on TWTD a Jake Humphrey tweet and an hour ago Chris Ramsay saying he just wants someone to make a bid. I think the op is having a laugh.[/quote]

''Having a laugh''. Term used loosely.

Would we need to though - say if we used Hooper and Lafferty as part exchange then we would probably only have to pay circa £9 million for Charlie Austin which would be great for all concerned I reckon!

[quote user="Al Harrington"]That 50\1 wouldn''t be available. The OP would beg borrow and steal every penny he could and put it on at those odds and the bookmaker wouldnt still be offering it if it were true.[/quote]This.Nothing to see here.

£15m on Austin is a far safer punt than the £14m some sources have had us offering for Destro (altho must say i don''t believe those reports). We can''t afford another RvW. We also can''t afford another Dean Ashton situation where we end up getting stuck with nothing and having to wait until January. The madness that could surround a January scramble for Austin is not hard to imagine. What a pantomime that would be! We should stick our neck our neck out to get him now imo. Dwight Gayle is decent but how much better and how different is he to Hoops? If AN doesn''t want to use Hoops in a 4-5-1 he isnt'' going to use Gayle in the same formation. Austin however would be a viable alternative and back up for CJ.

A1 - we''re hardly going to spend £15m on ''backup'' for Jerome, are we?! I guess if we are out of other viable options and have the cash he might be worth a go, but surely seems unlikely that we''d spend so much on one player - we''d obviously be happy enough with him as a player for us, though.

I would rather give Jerome a go than bring in Austin and drop Cameron to the bench. Am far from convinced that Austin can repeat his exploits from last season and he lacks pace which seems to be more important than ever now at the top level.

Would prefer to sign Gayle who i think is a good player and would be more prepared to play second fiddle to Jerome when we go with one up front.

Doubt this is true. Still think it will be Mbokani, as he''s the most similar to Jerome and shouldn''t cost a fortune.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]A1 - we''re hardly going to spend £15m on ''backup'' for Jerome, are we?! I guess if we are out of other viable options and have the cash he might be worth a go, but surely seems unlikely that we''d spend so much on one player - we''d obviously be happy enough with him as a player for us, though.[/quote]

Well let''s not split hairs, I also said alternative. Backup in the sense that if one is injured/suspended the other can plays.

I can''t agree with you Jim that Gayle would happily play second fiddle - he has been doing that at Palace and so is leaving. He is far too similar to Hooper in terms of his role in the side, which is one where he just isn''t the kind of striker the manager wants in his first choice 11. If we got Gayle, we''d definitely have to let Hooper go, then Gayle would do just want Hooper is doing now and in my view, we''d be absolutely no better off as a squad. Then imagine Austin in the squad and ask if we''d be better off. No question. He would be a genuine starting option on a par with CJ, not as a benchwarmer. They''d be backup for each other and when both fit it would simply be a case of one having to push themselves to get in the team ahead of the other. They''re aren''t the same but you can both see them starting and offering a good threat and doing the sort of thing AN wants of his single striker. Or of course there could be times when you have them both on, and what a pairing that would be.

What if CJ gets injured? We might be alright at the moment but there''s no question we are thin at the top of the park if you assume RvW isn''t going to fire and that maybe even Grabban can''t get going in the Prem. Then we look very light. No, i think we should just go for it. Even if that means helping to bail out QPR from the huge financial hole they have doug for themselves AGAIN.

[quote user=" chaywa"]Would we need to though - say if we used Hooper and Lafferty as part exchange then we would probably only have to pay circa £9 million for Charlie Austin which would be great for all concerned I reckon![/quote]ONLY have to pay £9m!  And great for all concerned!  You''re having a laugh aren''t you?So QPR get Lafferty & Hooper AND £9m!  How much are you valuing Lafferty & Hooper at?  Rumours of Andre Gray at £9m, if that is true, then Hooper is worth more than that.It often seems that fans are quick to undervalue our players, but overvalue others.

On a five year contract his wages would be circa £25m. On top of this there is no way he would sign a drop in wages relegation clause like the rest of the squad meaning either mutiny amongst the other players or them all having their relegation clause withdrawn.

Cant see this happening

Big article in my paper at the end of last week on why Austin was ''stuck at QPR''.  One of the biggest reasons put forward, was his long-term cartilage problem in one of his knees, which will surely show up in any medical at a potential new club.  Maybe nobody wants to risk £15 million on a risky knee.

Can''t see this one happening, the money involved and the interest from other clubs... I thought Newcastle would have wrapped him up by now. 15 million to a club like ours is a huge amount, on top to that a decent wedge on a contract too for a player I''d say might struggle to make an impact in our current line up, Neil seems to like 1 up front so unless he is to be Jerome''s foil I can''t see how he would fit.

[quote user="ron obvious"]Yes, OR, didn''t he fail a medical before his QPR move? (Hull?).

Would we really spend £15m on such a player?[/quote]Yes ron, I think he did, and in answer to your question NO I would hope not..................