Sign in to follow this  
danielsroundabout

I'm important, I've got a flag.

For the second consecutive home game, we have been the victim of decisions from a linesman (RA) who has intervened when he has been in a far worse position to judge than the referee.

In the CP game, the referee immediately signalled the "goal", cancelling his decision after taking a message from his assistant, a guy who was three times his own distance from the action.

Today, and I am not saying the decision was right or wrong, but it came from a guy who was behind our player and would have been unable to say whether it was chest or arm. Again, the referee was well placed to see what the ball hit, allowed play to continue until flag-happy started waving madly.

I really feel these assistants should stick to their "out of play" and off-side decisions except when they see something blatant that the main man may have missed. For me, that would not include guesses about which they haven''t any real idea.

Somebody said on the way out of the ground that the Jerome/CP decision and today''s Brady handball were both made by the same linesman. I really do hope they were just trying to wind me up.

According to the refereeing appointments website, yes Mr A Garratt was assistant referee today and for the Palace game. Whether he was responsible for both decisions though I don''t know

Correct Crabby. Also, to my mind the Jerome decision in the Palace game was that of Simon Hooper, not the assistant alone. He blew his whistle and pointed (for the free kick). Refs rarely whistle when signalling a goal.

I initially thought that the ref had allowed Jerome''s goal and then changed his mind but on seeing a replay it looks like he disallowed it almost immediately-I doubt that the linesman made the decision for him.

(Sort of) interesting that just two weeks after Mr Hooper''s heralded Premier League debut, he ''earned'' himself the Yeovil v Luton game in League Two yesterday.

Mind you, Roger East (reffed in the Prem fairly recently) was doing the Portsmouth game in the same League, yesterday.

Mike Dean was pretty good today, streets ahead of the travesty that was Simon Hooper. Any minor shortcomings he had were inflicted on ourselves and Stoke, but as I say, they were small in magnitude and few in number.