Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Stoke

It was hotter than hell in Norwich this afternoon and the long stroll to CR felt more like a trek across the Sahara minus the camels. City fielded an unchanged side and kicked off with the blazing sun at their backs. Stoke looked a competent side and in the early stages treated us to a long session of keep ball. It wasn''t until the 5th minute that City finally came forward on the left earning a free kick and then a corner. On both occasions the delivery was poor and never beat the first man.With ten minutes gone Brady''s needless handball presented Stoke with a dangerous free kick and my worst fears were confirmed as Diouf stooped low to nod past Ruddy while the City defenders stood rooted like statues. Apart from a couple of long range efforts way off target there was little for the fans to get excited about as Stoke exerted a measure of control. It was a disappointing start and City were certainly playing second fiddle when the ref stopped play for a water break mid way through the half. It must have been magic water because City suddenly sprang to life and finally put some pressure on the Stoke defence. Butland did well to turn the ball away as a cross came in but City continued to press and suddenly Martin was clear 8 yards out and made no mistake with a low shot under the keeper.Stoke still looked the better side and Brady did wonderfully well with a couple of last ditch tackles as Diouf threatened to break away. City continued to fiddle too much at the back and only an offside flag saved them after Diouf again netted following Tetty''s faux pas. There were few further alarms at either end and at half time I was thinking that we were rather fortunate to be on terms with what looked to be a fairly handy Stoke side.From the off there was much more of a sting in City''s play and Redmond''s low shot was only a yard wide after good play down the right. Then in the space of a minute City really should have gone ahead. Neat passing left Jerome clear centrally and just inside the area, Butland was out quickly but the shot was past him only to curl agonisingly wide of his right post. Then Howson''s cross from the left found Wes unmarked on the six yard line only for the little Irishman to glance a header wide when it seemed easier to score.City were really upping the pace now and it became one way traffic as first Dorrans low strike was brilliantly turned round the left post by Butland and then moments later it was Redmond holding his head in disbelief as Butland then produced another flying save to his right. There was little coming back from Stoke now apart from the odd breakaway and Ruddy was a virtual spectator. What a difference a good referee makes, Mike Dean missed very little but was really allowing the game to flow.Wes was spent after 75 minutes and left to generous applause for another great performance. Johnson nearly got in on the act as City again sliced through the Stoke defence but was marginally offside. With time swiftly running out constant pressure earned a series of corners which were scrambled away with difficulty then Dorrans found himself in the clear on the right. His low effort looked a goal all the way until Butland once more flew to his left to palm it away. It was almost too much to bear as on the balance of play, City were now well worth all three points but the goal they deserved would not come.In injury time Johnson headed down and Jerome''s overhead flick seemed to have broken the deadlock only for Butland to again claw it away from point blank range. There was still time for Dorrans to strike what looked like a goalbound effort only for a defender to get enough on it to deflect it over. At the final whistle there was probably the loudest applause I''ve ever heard for a 1-1 draw. City had done enough to win any game but unfortunately they came up against a keeper who gave one of the best displays of goalkeeping seen at CR in many a long year.Yes, it was disappointing not to pick up all three points but it was a magnificent game and City look to be well equipped to do well in this league. They won''t always come up against a keeper in that kind of form.

A bit tighter at the back and a little more luck and we could have put a cricket score up against them. We weathered the first half storm, and for all their flash it was all Norwich by the end.

Excellent report as always Ricardo, and an accurate record of events as always, thank you. I am intrigued do you make notes during the match ?

A game we could have / should have one all except for one big BUTland, he was exceptional, was nice to Brady get MOM champagne, thoroughly deserved thought he was our best player over 90 minutes and did well against Shaquiri who looks some player.

[quote user="Herman "]Excellent as per.MOTM??[/quote]Either Brady or Dorrans for me but in truth it was a good team performance.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Excellent report as always Ricardo, and an accurate record of events as always, thank you. I am intrigued do you make notes during the match ?

A game we could have / should have one all except for one big BUTland, he was exceptional, was nice to Brady get MOM champagne, thoroughly deserved thought he was our best player over 90 minutes and did well against Shaquiri who looks some player.[/quote]No mate, I don''t make notes but I run through the game in my mind as I stroll home and think what I am going to say. I have been known to get events in the wrong order or the wrong goal scorer but as long as it gives a taste of what happened for those exiles that can''t attend then that''s good enough I think.

[quote user="Vanwink"]Herman wrote the following post at 22/08/2015 6:59 PM:

Excellent as per.

MOTM??

Dorrans[/quote]Good to hear that Dorrans and Brady were both vying for the man of the match award. Two players, funnily enough, picked up in what I gather has overall - and so far - been a farcically bad transfer window. Still, I guess even the most misguided transfer policy can get it right by accident once every so often.

PurpleCanary wrote the following post at 22/08/2015 9:20 PM:

Vanwink wrote:

Herman wrote the following post at 22/08/2015 6:59 PM: Excellent as per. MOTM?? Dorrans

Good to hear that Dorrans and Brady were both vying for the man of the match award. Two players, funnily enough, picked up in what I gather has overall - and so far - been a farcically bad transfer window. Still, I guess even the most misguided transfer policy can get it right by accident once every so often.

Perhaps you should give a bit more credit than that ?

Two very good signings.

Great report Ricardo, was a fantastic team performance, the entire team including manager, coaching and crowed......awsome day a FCR.

I had to laugh at Bassong in the second Halsey turned in Ryan Giggs, taking on their entire team, once nearly opening Stoke up, once nearly ending in disaster!

Great day great report, good to be a city fan today!

[quote user="Vanwink"]Herman wrote the following post at 22/08/2015 6:59 PM:

Excellent as per.

MOTM??

Dorrans[/quote]Dorrans had an excellent match but for me, Alex Tettey stole the show. I thought he was immense today. 

[quote user="Indy"]Great report Ricardo, was a fantastic team performance, the entire team including manager, coaching and crowed......awsome day a FCR.

I had to laugh at Bassong in the second Halsey turned in Ryan Giggs, taking on their entire team, once nearly opening Stoke up,
once nearly ending in disaster!

Great day great report, good to be a city fan today![/quote][:D]That was good. He paused halfway through his run, hoping to get rid of the ball, realised nobody was challenging him, so just carried on and ended up on their six yard line. Probably had a nosebleed.

lappinitup wrote the following post at 22/08/2015 9:51 PM:

Vanwink wrote:

Herman wrote the following post at 22/08/2015 6:59 PM: Excellent as per. MOTM??

Dorrans

Dorrans had an excellent match but for me, Alex Tettey stole the show. I thought he was immense today.

He was, has 3 yellows now, hope Mulumbu makes a quick recovery.