Sign in to follow this  
funny old game

Mike Dean

Thought he had one of his better days yesterday, there will always be decisions missed but I thought he got most of the major calls correct & tried to let the game flow.

I''m going to disagree, I thought he was generally poor. He carded all but Brady in our back four, he didn''t card players for Stoke for similar challenges.

Which of the bookings for us did you feel he got wrong ?

for the record three of them came from kamikazi defending !

Yep, last ditch tackles and holding a player that has beaten you will inevitably clock up the yellows. We''ll have tougher tests ahead so the defensive side of our game needs tweaking a little. The high press that we employ must have a ''second phase '' if the opposition get around the initial period of ''win ball back quickly''.......especially when Seb or Russ have committed to forward runs.

But Yeah cant really complain about the refs performance.

I''m with the last two posters- just because a ref books four of our players, doesn''t mean he made four wrong decisions. Cynical plays to stop an opponent''s attack will always be a yellow.

I didn''t even notice the ref yesterday. Must''ve meant that he had a good game with no major balls-ups.

Also agree with the last posters. Martin''s was the only yellow that was borderline. The rest were the old cliche, "took one for the team" yellows.

Mike Dean had a good game, he''s one of the better refs if not THE best.

Let''s not forget the way he reffed our Play-off final and stood firm against Boro''s nonsense. Many others would''ve given Vossen a penalty in that game which could''ve changed everything.

All of our booked players were booked for the right reasons. They were all yellow card offenses. However, I do believe that a few more Stoke players should have gone into the book. Whoever fouled Hoolahan (repeataly) and whoever fouled Redmond twice in the span of a few mins. But overall he had a good game.

The only problem with Mike Dean, for me, was the same as all Premiership referees if a player is getting closed down with nowhere to go he falls over a gets a free kick, it''s frustrating !

Thought he had a good game. Certainly not full of his own importance and was part of the reason we watched such an enjoyable and exciting match.

I had a word about overhead kicks when he first came out to warm up. He smiled and said something about 5 o''clock. However he saw nothing wrong with the overhead kick when it happened. The guy IS like Jasper Carrot but he''s a good ref nonetheless.

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]The only problem with Mike Dean, for me, was the same as all Premiership referees if a player is getting closed down with nowhere to go he falls over a gets a free kick, it''s frustrating ! [/quote]Totally disagree with this. Dean lets the game flow wherever he can, there were probably a dozen ''fouls'' yesterday where he simple waved play on (or just casually shook his head) and let the game flow. People know they won''t get soft free-kicks off him, so generally they try to stay up. There were loads of times where a player was shielding the ball under heavy pressure from an opponent, but he let them get on with it, and more often than not it worked itself out. Much rather that than an over-vigilant type who blows for every minor infringement. It''s a man''s game, and Mike Dean referees it as one. Top performance from a top ref yesterday, as in the play-off final.As other have suggested, he might have booked one or two Stoke players, but I can''t think of any flagrant yellow-card tackles that he missed. All of the yellows we were issued were correct in my eyes.

[quote user="Baywing"]Which of the bookings for us did you feel he got wrong ?

for the record three of them came from kamikazi defending ![/quote]

My point being, there was very similar challenges from a physical Stoke side that went unpunished.

He let the game flow by for us by playing on but failed to book at least two Stoke players for pulling shirts after that playing on. He should have gone back and booked those players at the first opportune moment.

In this way he was not even-handed as he was very quick to book our players for the same offences.

I agree with first steps and Paul moy ,, often exactly the same foul committed within seconds sometimes by a Stoke player received no punishment ,, a push in the back was indicated by the ref when a question was asked about an awarded free kick to stoke , a Stoke player pushed hooligan fully in the back with both hands a minute later , right in front of the dugout ,, with nothing forthcoming ,,, suffice to say ,,, AN was jumping up and down and confronted the fourth official immediately ,, presumably about this .

Anyway , poor ref ,,,, I guess I see it differently because I was actually there .

[quote user="Barclay seats 48 49 the 3rd"]I agree with first steps and Paul moy ,, often exactly the same foul committed within seconds sometimes by a Stoke player received no punishment ,, a push in the back was indicated by the ref when a question was asked about an awarded free kick to stoke , a Stoke player pushed hooligan fully in the back with both hands a minute later , right in front of the dugout ,, with nothing forthcoming ,,, suffice to say ,,, AN was jumping up and down and confronted the fourth official immediately ,, presumably about this .

Anyway , poor ref ,,,, I guess I see it differently because I was actually there .[/quote]Yeah, I think you were the only one who went to the match yesterday, and the only one who understands refereeing, and therefore you''re obviously spot on.Holy cr@p - manager is unhappy with refereeing decision shocker! I challenge you to find evidence of one single match, in the whole history of the Premier League, where neither manager showed any displeasure with a single refereeing decision.If you analyse any performance, by any player, manager or official, closely enough, you''ll find perceived mistakes. Unfortunately, the game is played by humans, who are disappointingly prone to instantaneous and instinctive decision-making and judgement calls. If you think yesterday''s refereeing performance was poor, you will probably say the same or worse for every single match this season.Just out of interest, have you ever tried to referee a football match, at any level?

Premier League referees, officially, get 95% of decisions right. I suppose you can never be totally accurate with that figure, as there are a lot of decisions that are open to interpretation, but the vast majority of decisions are clearly correct.95% isn''t a bad strike rate at that level, with the speed of the game and the external pressures. Referees are only human, like all of us, and they''re obviously a lot better than us, which is why they are out there and we are not.Unfortunately, sometimes important decisions (mostly regarding goals, and to a lesser extent red cards) fall into the 5%. That''s when the problems arise (Palace at home) but Dean yesterday didn''t get any big calls wrong, so realistically, what more can we expect from a human being?