Sign in to follow this  
Barclay seats 4849 the 3rd

Norwich City bid £14m for Charlie Austin

No bid, just an approach. Apparently dismissed and has ended our interest. Would like to have seen it happen though.

Certainly not for 14 mill. Way overpriced. I''d say his "real" value in todays market is around 7-8 mill at most.

Would Austin agree to come here is the issue

And would he pass a medical?

Again all press speculation, lets all just be patience and trust Alex.

[quote user="grefstad"]Certainly not for 14 mill. Way overpriced. I''d say his "real" value in todays market is around 7-8 mill at most.[/quote]

In todays market where Gray of Brentford is worth £9 million Mings is worth £8 million and you think a forward called up to the England squad for his goalscoring feats in the Prem is worth £7-8 million ...unreal .

"In todays market where Gray of Brentford is worth £9 million Mings is worth £8 million and you think a forward called up to the England squad for his goalscoring feats in the Prem is worth £7-8 million ...unreal ."

Agreed.

QPR want 15mill, a 14mill offer sounds reasonable.

Would love to see him here (not only coz I put a tenner on it!).

Gref - he''s coming off the back of 18 Premier League goals and you think his value in today''s market is only £7m/£8m?

"If" true I really hope we can pull this one off.

Scored 18 last term in a pi$$ poor QPR team.

We are creating chances and I''m confident Austin would stick most of them away

OTBC

[quote user="grefstad"]Certainly not for 14 mill. Way overpriced. I''d say his "real" value in todays market is around 7-8 mill at most.[/quote]

Literally the opposite of what you said is true... I do wonder if people think before they post sometimes.

Whatever you think of Austin and whether we should sign him, the market value of Ross McCormack is 11m, the market value of Robbie Brady is 7m.. The list goes on. That''s the market value because that''s what people paid for them.

Austin scored goals last year in the Prem, he is on the verge of the England squad and he is only 26. How you can say he is worth the same as Robbie Brady in market value is beyond me.

The argument that other players are worth X so Austin is worth X doesn''t wash for me. Mings is never worth 8m, he did well the first time we played them but the second, third and fourth time we played them Redmond gave him a tough time and you could see he''s just an average player who is very athletic. Saw him in a few other games as well and again he was ok but I think Olson is better.

Gray isn''t worth 9m either, decent championship striker but in what I saw last season no better than Jerome who played a lot of last season with an injury and still scored more and bought for he princely sum of 1.5m.

Austin in can see why someone would maybe pay 10m at a stretch but understand why no one has paid 15m for a player with one season in the premier and one relegation so far.

There''s also no more money in the premier league than when we were last there so don''t get why prices have inflated so much. If it was next season with the new TV deal then yeah maybe. Still would find these prices ludicrous.

not sure about that; if gray is £6-9m depending on the reports even with a dodgy knee austin has to be an 8 figure fee.

I wouldnt disagree that the whole market is enormously overpriced though

Ross McCormack for 11m was a joke too. Leeds saw their desperation to make a statement and ripped them off. Fulham board are not exactly known for the running the club well and making sensible decisions. Who''s the Greek player signed for a fortune and never played?

It''s not really about what they are ''worth'' in terms of their inherent value though... The question was what they are worth in a particular market. The market concerned is arguably vastly inflated but comparisons with what other commodities in that market are being sold for is a valid way of determining how much you can expect to pay.

Therefore if a left back in the Champs such as Mings is ''worth'' 8m because someone chose to pay that then Austin who has scored 18 goals in the Prem is going to be ''worth'' much much more.

[quote user="Dead Canary"]Ross McCormack for 11m was a joke too. Leeds saw their desperation to make a statement and ripped them off. Fulham board are not exactly known for the running the club well and making sensible decisions. Who''s the Greek player signed for a fortune and never played?[/quote]Kostas Mitroglou. Still, everyone will get it wrong occasionally - Southampton paid £15m for Dani Osvaldo, and then... *coughwolfcough*.Selling clubs are taking advantage of the fact that next year''s Premier League carries such a massive windfall - they won''t sell their best players unless it''s for crazy money, and at the same time clubs looking to buy will push the boat out more than usual. In that climate, £15m for Austin is understandable, as is QPR''s desire to hold out for top dollar. We either take a risky punt on an unknown from abroad, or we buy an Englishman with recent top-flight pedigree, a ready-made goal-getter - and that is going to cost us.

As always - a player is worth the amount of money someone is willing to pay for them. Comparing players transfer fees between players is never apples to apples. There is always the players age, contract length.In regards to Austin - I think any bid would always be rejected this close to the end of the window. QPR have been padding this out all window - tarting Austin around to any media outlet that will listen with the "we won''t well if we don''t have to" facade. They know they have a wanted player. It will come down to a bidding war on deadline day - the way QPR want it..... and I think we will lose any bidding war.

Absolutely

We could offer 15m and we wouldn''t get him at this stage

QPR want last minute drama at this point

Its in the Mirror lol, thought QPR have already confirmed they only had 2 bids from Leicester and Palace ?

You have to ask the question, why, if he''s so good (which he appears to be), has nobody bought him? £15m for a proven PL striker is cheap.

My money''s on medical problems.

I see your point Mario but I think we are seeing a few players being signed for too much money and it isn''t a true reflection of the market.

Since ffp most championship clubs have signed players on free transfers and spent the money on wages instead. Ipswich have done this very well and built a decent side without spending a fortune.

There are plenty of other signings that show the values of Mings etc to be unrealistic. Brady for example has a couple of years prem experience a promotion with Hull and was schooled at one of the very best academies and we payed a full million less and he is ready to play now.

Stuart Downing was one of West Hams best players last season, broke back into the England side and has huge experience at the top level and internationally yet cost 5m.

Petr Cech one of the best keepers in the world, hitting his peak and with years left at the top level 10m. He also holds records for clean sheets etc.

Schweinsteger, World cup winning captain, champions league winner, won everything at Bayern 8-10m.

Cabaye for 10m, will be the best player at Palace and is a French international.

Ashley Sinclair from Man City for 3m. Shakiri joining Stoke for the about the same as Boro bid for Jordan Rhodes and only cost slightly more than Ross McCormack.

This is just off the top of my head. Take some time and look around and these fees look even more ridiculous.

[quote user="cityangel"]Its in the Mirror lol, thought QPR have already confirmed they only had 2 bids from Leicester and Palace ?[/quote]

It does say City didn''t put a bid in just put a package together worth £14 million , we probably offered them a million up front and a further £13 million if we remained a Prem club for the next decade with Ricky thrown in on loan for a season too .

Strikes me that it will be the usual brinkmanship. People quote values for players but so much depends on how long a player has left on his contract. With Austin if he''s just got a year to go and with a record of injury problems £15m looks pricey. They know if they leave it to the last minute we might find someone else and vice versa. Be interesting to see how this plays out.

I think if there is any truth in this bid, the £14m would have been made up with lots of payments depending on England appearances, goals and the like. I don''t think we could afford to offer £14m straight and I don''t think they would dismiss £14m straight away either.

@Dead Canary. Too right there is better value to be had out there than many clubs actually achieve and don''t get me wrong I don''t cite Mings'' transfer as a beacon of good sense! I think with him it came down to Bournemouth having the cash and him being young enough to have re-sale value but they still paid way way too much in my mind and if we''d have done it I''d have been tearing my hair out.

Also I think Brady was quite good value (depending on how the deal was structured which is detail we don''t often see). The point I was making was the ''market'' is crazy and inflated and Gref saying Austins value - looking only at transfer fee - is only 6m (and therefore less than Brady?!) was wide of the mark in almost every sense in the context of other deals and his quality and potential.

I get what you say about Downing, Cech, Cabaye etc however once you factor in wages and age/resale potential it can change the dynamic of what looks like a bargain purely based on transfer fee alone. That said I''d have Cabaye here in a heartbeat..

Truth be told we rarely have the full facts to make a call on what constitutes value as figures bandied around are often paper talk with lots of info missing. Still, good fun to speculate and debate anyway!

Enjoy the game later.

See what you are saying Mario. Seems to be a lot of stock put on resale value and other times that''s just not considered. Is probably a reason Rhodes and McCormack won''t get a punt at the premier league unless they get promoted, as no one will want to pay the amount the club''s will now expect.

I agree though Grefstads valuation was a bit under what it should be. I just don''t want to see the club caught out paying silly money just for the sake of signing someone.