Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

Calm Down

There seems to be a lot of excitement over the signing and potential signing of what are (with the exception of one of the right-backs) squad players.  There have been lots of superlatives used to describe these new players, yet hardly anyone has seen much of Jarrett, Hughes and Colin and we didn’t exactly have to beat a host of other clubs to their signature.  I am very happy that Worthy has made some much needed additions to the squad but I will reserve judgement on whether these are "Great" signings for now but I am by no means excited. 

What I would like to see now is decent right-winger, Dean Marney may be the answer but I would prefer someone who has played more than a handful of games.  Before you all start getting upset by that, how long was it before most of this board wanted Bentley dropped or sent back to Arsenal after a few bad games?  It will take Marney time to get used to playing regularly.

I would like to point out I am pleased that Worthy has added to the squad, it was always unlikely that he could have added much more quality to the team given our position.

Well Saint, I think part of it maybe that on paper they all look exactly right to slot in nicely to the team/squad, shouldn''t take too much time to adjust, are generally players Worthy has had his eye on for a time, and haven''t broken the bank.

Also, no negative comment so far such as those that followed some other recent signings: Easton ( a joke at Watford), Heckingbottom (not good enogh for Darlington), Doherty (allegedly a carthorse according to Spurs fans) and Emblen (too old, slow and ineffective).

These all look like good additions offering us cover and solutions exactly where we need them. well done Nigel. They can all SOD IN.

[quote]Well Saint, I think part of it maybe that on paper they all look exactly right to slot in nicely to the team/squad, shouldn''t take too much time to adjust, are generally players Worthy has had his eye...[/quote]

Nice one..

[quote]Well Saint, I think part of it maybe that on paper they all look exactly right to slot in nicely to the team/squad, shouldn''t take too much time to adjust, are generally players Worthy has had his eye...[/quote]

Tumbleweed, I will agree that they do appear to be be good signings but I do not think they are quite the players some posters are billing them to be.  So far Colin has been described as "class" etc yet no-one has even seen him kick a ball. 

This happened last year with some signings and when players like Bentley and Helveg didn''t meet the high expectations imposed on them by us, some quarters of this board were almost baying for their blood. 

Let me make this clear, I am by no means disappointed with our signings in any way but to be already calling them class, quality etc is a bit premature.  They appear to me to be very solid Championship standard players, not class.

Indeed Saint, I know exactly what you are saying and very wise too. We do have to reserve judgement and maybe some of us were too quick when the likes of Helveg, Bentley and Jonsson appeared.

I think my impression is that, like you I will see how it all lines up on August 6th, but this comes across as a bit more measured than last close season where maybe Worthy thought "let''s get some big reputations in here and hope they work out".

Its a greater pleasure to unearth a hidden gem than to buy a gem that''s tarnished when you look closely and turns out to be fool''s gold.

I am now really really looking forward to the 6th and seeing how it turns out.

Me too, I am very excited for the start of this season with what is by far the best looking squad we have had since the early 90''s.

I think it''s testament to how well Worthy has done when you look at our signings and know they will be mostly squad players.  Even at the beginning of our promotion season all of those players would have walked into our starting 11.

[quote]Me too, I am very excited for the start of this season with what is by far the best looking squad we have had since the early 90''s. I think it''s testament to how well Worthy has done when you look at...[/quote]

Spot on Saint.  A strong squad is essential to a sucesfull season.

We''re a fizzy pop team with modest finances 120 miles from London. As such, we''re unable to make truly ''great'' signings.

The players worthy has managed to get in look very promising and he has done well so far in the transfer market. Hopefully we will see a couple more new faces to bolster the squad before the big kick off, with no-one else departing for pastures new.