Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Left chasing the dregs

Murray, Walters etc. Looks like we''re lurching from one potential disaster to another trying to bring in rubbish that nobody else wants.We need to be bringing in young & hungry players who have ambition and can build their futures here.A bit of experience is one thing, especially at the back, but we don''t need these older players up front.If these are the best we can get for £5m then stick with what we''ve got & hope that Grabban, Hooper & The Wolf can come good should anything happen to Jerome.

Absolutely agree. There are loads of journeymen being touted around by agents who we should not touch with a bargepole. Sure McNally is on the same wavelength.

We need to be realistic as to what we can afford, and who would want to join us. This is our first season back in the Premier league, therefore rightly or wrongly we are amongst the favourites to go down, which will obviously put some players off. It strikes me if some of these media stories are to be believed, that many clubs are chasing similar players. For example if you were VVD from Celtic would you join Norwich or go to the Saints?! If we''re still in the Premier league in 2 or three years time and looking at players like Walters and Murray then i would be worried, but at the moment it may just be that these calibre of players are the best we can attract at this stage of our development.

[quote user="Making Plans"]Murray, Walters etc. Looks like we''re lurching from one potential disaster to another trying to bring in rubbish that nobody else wants.We need to be bringing in young & hungry players who have ambition and can build their futures here.A bit of experience is one thing, especially at the back, but we don''t need these older players up front.If these are the best we can get for £5m then stick with what we''ve got & hope that Grabban, Hooper & The Wolf can come good should anything happen to Jerome.[/quote]Exactly what we apparently tried to do with Afobe and Destro and indeed Austin. But if they are young and hungry AND good enough to start in the Premier League now - which is a must - then they are going to be:a) Very expensive.b) Very much in demand from what are perceived as bigger clubs.The transfer window has eight days to run. We have, by my fag-packet calculation, a sizeable pot of money unspent. Such coveted players tend to move late on in the window, for obvious reasons.

It''s a shame the link with Slimani went cold. I wonder whether RvW and a lump of this unspent cash might tempt Sporting?

Left chasing the dregs - I mistakenly assumed the op was commenting on the Labour party leadership contest.

Um, take a look at the clubs around us.

They all need players

Who''s doing business? Who''s done any business for weeks?

Think about it!

1. Not sure how RVW makes it on to every post about strikers.... Not particularly constructive - assassinating the bloke (whatever you think of him) clearly isn''t positive

2. We''ve been linked with Murray (who scored 7 in 14 (good ratio) last season in the league we''re in and Walters who''s played successfully in this league for years

I appreciate people may feel there are better options out there (myself included) but where we are as a club right now, those two would be solid signings.

Cobain he makes it onto threads about strikers because he is a striker at our club, earning a good wage and if we sign someone there is the distinct possibility he won''t make it into our squad of 25. No one here has been assassinating him. I only said that the alternatives the op has suggested are dregs would better fit our style of play.

[quote user="vos"]Absolutely agree. There are loads of journeymen being touted around by agents who we should not touch with a bargepole. Sure McNally is on the same wavelength.[/quote]

McNally doesn''t choose the players we go after, the Manager does. If AN has expressed an interest in any of these "dregs" then we''ll make enquiries, if he hasn''t, we won''t.

Any player we sign must fit two conditions, at least:

1) They must be able to fit in with the Neil style

2) They must be at a price which is manageable, that is within our budget and at a wage level which will not cause problems with other players already in the club.

Brady, Dorrans and, I believe, Lumumbu as well, are his kind of player, while some of the names which have been mentioned, and also the foreigner who came to interview, are not. Specifically, he does not want a striker who makes no contribution to build up, because such a player will not fit in with his style.

On the question of budget, any promoted side will face an upward pressure on wages, if only as they try to keep their better players. People may criticize the club for being over-prudent, but they are faced with a small number of outstanding strikers who command high wages and transfer fees and who are vitally important to their clubs. At the moment we are a "not quite made it" Premiership club - our stays our relatively brief, and therefore not attractive to established players. A longer run, with accumulated reserves, and the picture could be more rosy.

It''s all just posturing at the moment

Every club is doing it

It''s got nothing to do with lack of ambition or anything like that

It''s purely the way the transfer market works

I don''t like it, but it''s the way it is, every club has the same drama unless they''ve got Man City money and then they can effectively drop a mountain of money to force a transfer.

What is with the bi-annual amnesia of some fans as to how the transfer market works?

All these "bids" are nothing more than declarations of interest so everyone knows who to call on transfer deadline day. Every club is doing the same thing.