Sign in to follow this  
Wiz

''We'll go with what we've got''

Uttered by AN today:

“Jon Walters or anybody else out there are not our players,” he said. “The bottom line is now we won’t be commenting on anyone. If we don’t add anybody then we will go with this squad. If we do then it gives us another player or two to give me more options. I am not overly concerned.

http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/mark_hughes_accuses_norwich_city_of_mischief_over_jon_walters_transfer_bid_1_4205813

This is my biggest fear, that we''ll try to bluff our way through the season. [IMG]http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Others/titanic-058.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Others/titanic-058.gif[/IMG]

Bluff?  What does that mean? All AN is doing is supporting his squad, in effect saying they are good enough.  Managers like Lennon - who has been complaining about the quality of his squad - do not send out good messages to the players they already have.  AN is a class act, he believes in himself and his players.

We should too.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Bluff?  What does that mean? All AN is doing is supporting his squad, in effect saying they are good enough.  Managers like Lennon - who has been complaining about the quality of his squad - do not send out good messages to the players they already have.  AN is a class act, he believes in himself and his players.

We should too.

[/quote]AN can only do so much LDC, he doesn''t control the purse strings. he himself mentioned another striker thus the Afobe bid.I just hope that dear old prudence won''t be our undoing.........again!

I would be dissapointed, but I won''t be down in the dumps about it !!! Keep supporting your team whatever happens, should be the motto!!!

We showed we are capable of competing in this league...the signings would just bolster the squad in case we have injuries to deal with

[quote user="TIL 1010"]I take it as you started this thread Wiz that Newton and Big Vince are not around today ?[/quote]

Who?[:|]

There will be movement this week both in and out with Napoli and Marseille involved to name but two clubs. [;)]

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]An injury to Jerome, Martin or Bassong and we are in various shades of trouble.[/quote]I would add Hoolahan, Tettey and Redmond to that list. Without Tettey and Mulumbu we would be really struggling in the midfield holding role, and the respective skill and pace of Hoolahan/Redmond are borderline irreplaceable. If more than one of those six players is injured at any one time, it could seriously limit our effectiveness. Olsson should be back soon to strengthen our left-hand side, but Mulumbu could be out for months given the unpredictability of metatarsal healing times...

We don''t have enough cover in key positions.

We may be lucky and avoid injury and suspensions but why are we taking that risk.

We''ve made some good signings but recent activity in the market appears to be shambolic and dissapointing.

If we sign anyone else present players will have to be left out of the 25, so I can see the logic of AN''s "only if we can find someone better than we have already."

That is unquestionable - especially if we sign some experienced bur rather geriatric Premiership player. We have Prem experience in the team - virtually every first team player.

What of injuries and suspensions? We have had two good players out in Mulumbu and Olsson, and we have not done too badly. With four or five out? That would be a problem with any squad of 25, although it could give youngsters a chance.

Don''t misunderstand me, I desperately hope that we sign the consistent striker we lack at the moment, and an outstanding centre back, but if other clubs won''t sell or else expect silly money, there is no case for buying just for the sake of it.

So long as the manager continues to achieve the performances so far, while it would be great to have what we lack we seem set on survival. Once established could be the time, when Premiership money has accumulated, when we can afford to splash out.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]There will be movement this week both in and out with Napoli and Marseille involved to name but two clubs. [;)][/quote]

So very true TIL. :-)

A good reasoned post Salopian. So many ifs, buts and maybes on here at the moment.

Every team gets injuries and even the Man City''s and Chelseas of this world struggle when key players get injuries or lose form. Remember when Yaya was at the African nations? Man city couldn''t buy a win. Terry has had a tough start at Chelsea and they have conceded what they would consider to be 10 games worth of goals already this season.

This scenario can happen to anyone but ultimately we as a small team with what will be one of the smallest incomes in the league can''t afford to carry massive squads like some seem to expect we should.

As Salopian pointed out we can only have 25 unless extra players are under 21. Players under 21 that can improve us will cost a premium. Players over 21 mean we need to move other players on.

Ultimately the club needs to sensible or prudent (for some reason a bad word on here, when some seem to prefer the shit or bust model of QPR) to ensure we are building a squad capable of progressing and becoming established. However we have to do so this way because there is no such guarantee that any amount of money will keep us in the league. So if we do go down we need to know we can maintain the squad of players we have and not hold a fire sale of all our best assets to cover debts built up or wages we can''t afford. This then gives the best chance of bouncing straight back if the worst should happen.

Relegation isn''t the end of the world as some seem to believe. I too want us to stay up and if we sign an additional striker who can offer stronger competition then brilliant I will be very happy. If we don''t I have belief in what we have based on performance last season and so far this season. Also the window opens again in January.

For me though I am happy to build over the long term. Others have thrown money at it and upon relegation have seen their clubs struggle to ever bounce back. Look how many in the championship are swallowed in debt which has hindered them long term. Leeds, Birmingham, Bolton, Sheffield Wednesday, Forrest all once established now look at them. You can add Portsmouth and Wigan to that too.

I am glad of the approach our club has taken. It''s only because of that we are in this position now hoping we can sign players for significant fees and build a long term future that looks so bright!

Here''s our squad at present, with underage players in brackets. We need to cut one player from this BEFORE we bring anyone in – either that or freeze them out post-transfer deadline and rely upon being able to loan them to Championship clubs once the loan window reopens. Our midfield in particular looks rather bloated; wonder if AN would consider loaning out any of the fringe midfielders to free up a slot in defence/attack? Maybe Elliott, Vadis or Tony? Currently you''d expect Lafferty to be the one who gets cut, and then Turner (if we sign a CB before the deadline), and Hooper/RVW (if we sign a forward before the deadline).Ruddy, Rudd, KeanWhittaker, Martin, Wisdom, Bassong, Turner, R Bennett, Olsson (Toffolo)E Bennett, Brady, O''Neil, Tettey, Mulumbu, Johnson, Howson, Dorrans, Odjidja-Ofoe, Andreu, Hoolahan (Redmond, McGrandles, Thompson)Jerome, Grabban, Hooper, van Wolfswinkel, Lafferty (Loza)

Its not difficult to remove unfavoured players though is it Turner and Lafferty would seem to be the first to be dropped but you never know if we go with what we have then so be it, dont get me wrong i think all of us would like better players coming in, so long as they perform and make us better the last thing we want is signing good players that just dont do it as per RVW.

I love that attitude from our club, if we can''t improve the team then why waste money? Save it for January and go after your targets again then!

We would all like to see another forward & CB, but not if all we can get is another Turner or Grabban.

Good on AN and it''s clear to see we have enough about us to hold our own with mid-lower table clubs.

[quote user="ruthers1"]Typo - "We''ll go with what we''ve got" It should read "We''ll go DOWN with what we''ve got"[/quote]Yeah! SACK THE BOARD!! [:@]

[quote user="tricky974"]Its not difficult to remove unfavoured players though is it? Turner and Lafferty would seem to be the first to be dropped but you never know if we go with what we have then so be it, dont get me wrong i think all of us would like better players coming in, so long as they perform and make us better the last thing we want is signing good players that just dont do it as per RVW.[/quote]You can omit them from the squad easily enough, but by itself that does no good. They are still on the books and having to be paid. As we have seen with van Wolfswinkel. It is clear Neil wants shot of him, hence the attempt to sell him back to Sporting, but the failure of that deal showed you cannot force a player to leave.I would imagine most of the players we may want to offload to free up squad spaces will be amenable, but that may not apply to van Wolfswinkel if his wage demands are out of proportion to the level of club that might be willing and able to buy him.

"I just hope that dear old prudence won''t be our undoing.........again!"

Not being prudent could also lead to our undoing and has done quite frequently in the past-and not just the recent one.

Everytime the club approaches a vaguely secure financial footing, people want it to become hellbent on undoing it all again. Are they so blase with their personal finances?

Staying up this season is vital with the massive increase in Sky''s cash available soon.......try to do it on the cheap and we''ll fail imo.

I think you''ll find it was quite the opposite of ''being prudent'' that saw us relegated last time - we were bigger spenders than ever, and look where we ended up. Buying players is partly down to luck (injuries, form etc - it can all just ''click''), but does need to have sense behind it - throwing shed loads of cash at the wrong players doesn''t work.

"If we don’t add anybody then we will go with this squad."

What else can he say? If we dont add to it I am going to walk off with the ball and not play until we get someone?

A statement of truth rather than one of concern; I am sure we will sign more; and even if we dont its not a complete disaster.

The window should be closed before the season starts.

In the last few weeks we have seen fanciful rumours and dubious reports repeatedly day after day after day.

It''s unsettling for players and teams, what''s the point?

This season the situation seems to be worse than ever, it''s a field day for the media and agents and a total waste of time for the rest of us.

Totally agree VanWink; why ever doesn''t the window shut the day before the season starts? It''s like a pantomime - an unnecessary distraction when most supporters simply want to be cheering their respective team...

[quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="Wiz"]

Uttered by AN today:

I am not overly concerned."

[/quote]

Is the most important part of the statement.

[/quote]pretty much this...I trust AN and he knows what he is doing, if he feels the squad is good enough to sustain top flight football then i''m happy with this.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="Wiz"]

Uttered by AN today:

I am not overly concerned."

[/quote]

Is the most important part of the statement.

[/quote]pretty much this...I trust AN and he knows what he is doing, if he feels the squad is good enough to sustain top flight football then i''m happy with this.[/quote]
Absolutely. Let''s not forget it''s likely AN vetoed the Larrivey and Mbokani deals after the clubs had agreed a move because he didn''t think they were right for us.
I was a bit underwhelmed by the Brady signing and was puzzled we spent so long chasing him and paid so much, but he''s already shown himself to be a good addition to the team, so AN obviously knew what he was doing when we went after him.
I don''t doubt the club has been frustrated and it''s been harder than we would have liked to bring people in, but I don''t think it''s right to say we''re desperate or we''re trying to get anyone we can at the last minute. AN clearly isn''t someone feeling under pressure to sign anyone he isn''t completely confident in.