Sign in to follow this  
Robert Barnes

Hooper loan

Makes sense for him to go. For whatever reason he''s never been a major part of AN''s plans so he deserves the chance to kick on at a club that can make better use of him. I personally don''t rate him as this wonderful finisher like some of you but his record as a goalscorer speaks for itself. Good luck to him if he goes.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]He''s been the most prolific striker at Norwich.[/quote]

Yes, while not once being prolific.

Now if you want to talk about prolific forwards then both Jerome and Grabban are more prolific.

Why the surprise? we have been trying to offload him all summer.

Anybody calling Jerome and Garbage prolific has got to be a wick short of a candle . Jerome ,Garbage and Murray is a forward line that screams relegation and that''s what it will deliver and well deserved it will be too .

Norwich really take tinpot to a new level

Stupid, shortsighted decision.....if true! [IMG]http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Confused/crazy.gif[/IMG]

This Hooper love-in from some is crazy: he has been with us a while now, wasn''t even considered a first choice starter in the Champs last season, and certainly isn''t this season. He can be a decent finisher, but is pretty slow and has the turning circle of an oil tanker - IMO he is not a PL striker. It makes perfect sense to loan him and replace with better if we can, so we just have to expect that we will get that better player in.

It is difficult to suspend one''s disbelief in respect of our approach to this transfer window. Dispose of RvW, Lafferty or even Grabban but not our best finisher.

I''d like Hooper to have a decent little run under AN with the sort of support which CJ and LG got last season. The last time I saw him, against Fulham in May, he was excellent- didn''t score but a constant nuisance and created space for others. The goal at R''ham in the game before involved some good fast breaking interplay between him and Redmond.

Unlike RVW there is some evidence to suggest he can do a job for us and frankly some of the other names mentioned do not seem to me to be any better than him either, just different names and wishful thinking.

We should be looking at bringing in genuine improvements, not just equivalents to what we have already since in that case we may as well stick with what we have, at least they are known quantities.

Where on earth has this "best finisher" tag come from? I like Hooper but have seen him miss plenty of chances. Plus there''s little point in being the "best finisher" if you don''t put the effort in often enough to get into position to score - I think we can trust the judgement of 3 managers who have always seen others as a better bet and seem to regard Hooper as a bench warmer.

Bit of a tightrope letting a striker go before getting one in.

I''m not too fussed with him moving on IF we can be sure of getting a replacement in that is more suited to the AN style of play.

Obviously the worry is if he goes and we can''t get someone in before Tuesday we are going to be way too short of quality and options in the forward areas.

Does also give some credence to the idea that we need to release some existing wage bill to be able to attract one/some of our targets

Hooper is not quick enough or mobile enough for the PL. In short he is not good enough for the PL.How many PL clubs have been interested in him - when he was at Celtic & scoring the odd goal in the CL there was hardly a queue of PL clubs wanting him.And even now, when it''s pretty general knowledge that he''s available, the only interest has been from Hull, Celtic & now Sheff Weds.And that is just about his level

Would much rather get rid of Grabban and keep Hooper.

Hooper offers something entirely different to the rest of our strikers. If we are 1-0 down with 10 minutes to play, Hooper is the ideal striker to put on to play alongside someone else in the hope of snatching a goal.

At the moment, I would suggest pecking order as follows:

Jerome, Grabban, Hooper, RvW

However, If we sign another striker to compete with Jerome, I would suggest the pecking order to look like:

New Striker, Jerome, Hooper, Grabban.

Hooper offers something very different and is a great option from the bench.

Cash in on Grabban, sign someone to compete with Jerome (Austin or Mbokani, ideally) and leave Hooper as a plan B.

It may be interesting to see what transpires if Celtic qualify for the group stages of the Champs League tonight? VVD out for £10ish million, £16ish million for qualification and Hooper back to them?

Apples 

Hooper has got a good skill set but he doesn''t have what we need to lead the line in our setup. He isn''t going to start and get lots of football and that''s what he maybe wants.

Sheffield Star last night states that the deal depends on Norwich bringing in another striker. I would think with our other worthless striker, and I don''t mean Ricky, playing up that loan may not happen for certain unless we get a move o.

this would be suicide if we let it go through before the Grabs situation is resolved and we get another striker in.

I agree he can be a little lazy, but HE IS the best and most natural finisher at the club just doenst fit the way AN wants to play. Grabs needs five chances often before he hits the target never mind scores.  I''m really suprised Bournemouth are so keen to get him back, they got the better out of the Grabs/Wilson transfer triangle imho.

I''ve said in previous threads, if we cant get the players in AN wants then we must come up with a system to get the best out of what we have, including Hooper.

If only we could somehow morph Jerome and Hooper together we would have one hell of frontman on our hands.