Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Sun Goals

Anybody else read the back page on the money City owe on transfers ? No wonder we''re skint! £1.1 m still owed to Brugge for Vadis, £1.3m to Palerno for Lafferty and the figures for Miquelon are bonkers.

I haven''t read it but is there any explanation about what it actually means? Are they add-ons based on appearances or just a case of we didn''t have the money up-front at the time and it all still needs to be settled?

Finance!

Who in their right mind would walk into a Mercedes dealership and actually layout 50k on a car!

Same principles with footballers, the money is doing far more for the club in the bank.

Standard business practice

As per with The Sun, probably all made up anyway. As you say, standard practice with every club, but it mentions somewhere that Miquel is unlikely to play for Norwich again. Well, he''s already left, quite some time ago in fact.

As has been previously said, most big transfers are done in installments. Premier League clubs (and ones with parachute payments) can get away with it because they know they''re only 12 months away from a guaranteed windfall.

The biggest question is why we spunked a couple of million on Miquel. It was obvious at the time that he had Martin, Turner, Bennett, Cuellar and Hooiveld ahead of him, plus Bassong still contracted but in exile, so why on earth we decided to buy him for biggish money (at the time) I have no idea.

I''m knocking Miquel here, as it wasn''t his decision to sign him when we already had more centre backs than we could shake a stick at, but it probably is the worst piece of transfer business we''ve done in recent times.