Sign in to follow this  
Samwam27

RVW v Grabban

Well it''s RVW for me. Simply put he''s scored more goals for ncfc this season than Grabs!!!!!!!!!

LOL

[quote user="Samwam27"]Well it''s RVW for me. Simply put he''s scored more goals for ncfc this season than Grabs!!!!!!!!!

LOL[/quote]Grabban for me, much more accurate puncher.

Well two things go for me, RVW has always been dignified and motivated by the sounds of the manager, he also took his chance tonight......Grabban is just an average championship player with a huge ego.

I know the City fans will back someone who puts the effort into the club and I really hope RVW gets on the bench for Southampton.

The problem we have is ricky is $hit atm. He can''t play on his own and he can''t finish like Hooper and he also has no physical presence. Grabban is obviously better for us atm, The question is - can we get £7m for him to add to the pot to buy a really decent striker.

Ricky has been a millstone round this clubs neck since he arrived. Not his fault but he cost a fortune in fee and wages and we can''t get shot of him as no one is prepared to match what he''s on.

He can''t play up front on his own which is the managers prefered style so to get him in the team we would need to drop Wes which would be ridiculous.

Grabban is a better player. Let''s be honest there will not be £5m bids for RVW from a premiership rival will there. Having said that if the stories coming out tonight are only half true then Grabban has serious issues that might not be possible to fix.

If as looks possible Grabban and Hooper are not going to be around after Tuesday then we absolutely have to get someone else in. Whatever it costs!

Well our manager thinks different now! I bet he thinks RVW better for us then Grabban.

To me the fact is everyone knew Grabban is 2nd to Jerome and AN didn''t want to risk our back up unless needed so why not give RVW a chance to get some minutes under his belt and the fact Grabs threw his toys out of the pram says a lot to me.

AN said the way players earn their places in the team was by good attitude. The last time RvW played for us was against Man Utd, and he''s clearly been trying his best to get back into the first team squad ever since. Grabban''s reaction to being left out of the starting lineup when he has frequently been playing for the first team ever since he joined is not acceptable. RvW also has a little bit of premier league experience, which Grabban has none of

Grabban is the better player. Neither are of PL quality. Dispose of these and Lafferty, retain Hooper, and bid realistically on one quality striker to compete with Jerome. Without quality up front relegation is inevitable.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Grabban is the better player. Neither are of PL quality. Dispose of these and Lafferty, retain Hooper, and bid realistically on one quality striker to compete with Jerome. Without quality up front relegation is inevitable.[/quote]
Maybe, but thank god we didn''t get Lennon as manager. Unlikely we''d even be in the Prem now..

I thought Grabban was a player who would have a good attitude, maybe a little quiet and undemonstrative, but I put that down to his character and that maybe it was a good thing to be like that.  However, when he has been left out before, when he has come back into the team he hasn''t always been that good straight away.  It seems like he is one of those players that needs mollycoddling - needs to feel he is the main man and finds it difficult if he is not.   Maybe Eddie Howe is more likely to make him feel "loved" than AN, who although obviously is a good man manager, doesn''t suffer fools gladly - but if this is the case it would be a reason why Grabban could be itching for a move back to Bnmth.

I like the way he plays football when on form - all action, difficult for defences to handle - but that punch in an important game indicated a character flaw to me - an indication of petulance that just should not happen if a player has his head in the right place - and this latest show of petulance is a further indication.  Don''t transfer him to Bnmth - otherwise it is giving in to him and his behaviour will have been rewarded - loan him to a championship team where he can reflect on his stupidity and maybe he will learn from it.   Bassong came back from the cold, so anyone is redeemable, but if the reports are true - Grabban needs to sort himself out.

LDC I believe this is different and one where you do move on and out very quickly. He has publicly shunned his team mates, he has shunned the manager and club but actually his team mates. Bassong''s spat with NA was private and although he has come out of the cold we knew we needed him as he was our best centre half.

Grabban has been highly disrespectful, wonder how he feels this morning. But the club should move quick ship out somebody that has now lost team mates and publicly gone against the ethos of the club.

I thought the bids from Bournemouth were suspicious and I think his actions have proved that there were discussions between former club, aides and Grabban. This is a saga we quickly move on, not a loan... we have other targets that we now move quickly on.

RvW pros:

Doesn''t fu ck off from the hotel.

Nice hair.

RvW cons:

Goal scoring record.

Grabban pros:

Better goalscoring record.

Grabban cons:

F ucks off from team hotel.

S hit beard.

Can you see anybody wanting to take him on?

He will sadly get his way and end up at Bournemouth I can''t see any other way this can be sorted IMO

One thing that keeps coming up is that Ricky cannot play up front on his own.

I agree, he could not play up front in a Hughton defensive-minded approach where the front man was completely isolated and balls were always played into him rather than having anything to move on to or create space for. But Ricky was not alone - Hooper also found it almost impossible, GH was half the player even with Premiership experience that the others did not have, Harry Kane ... well, and even Elmander who had both Premiership experience and experience of playing a lone role, found it difficult.

The comparison of playing one up front under Hughton and playing one up front under AN who likes to attack and support the front man is so different and should not be made.

It''s like saying that they both played four at the back ....... but did we see Hughton''s fullbacks ever getting into the opposition''s last third, shooting and scoring, or did they rarely venture over the halfway line?

I am still not convinced by RvW but many of his failings of his last experience of the Premiership may be greatly helped by a change in approach by the manager.

The problem is that we have 4 strikers who at the moment are not anywhere near PL level. And by that I mean the lower half of the PL.Hooper - it is clear that either he wants out or that AN wants him out. I don''t have a problem with either because his game is too limited for the PL. If, as many people will tell you, he is "our most prolific goal scorer" then that just about sums up where our problems are. Clearly his days at NCFC are numbered - 6 days at a guess.Grabban - has not totally convinced me that he''s the real deal since day 1 and the more I see him the less he impresses me. Clearly he doesn''t want to be here either and now that he''s spat his dummy out he won''t be here next week either. As long as the money is right I don''t care if he goes back to Bournemouth - they deserve each other.Lafferty - has potential but we haven''t seen it yet. Clearly part of AN''s plans else he wouldn''t still be here. My big worry is that he''s always a red card waiting to happen. Not one to rely on should Jerome get injured or suspended.RVW - unfortunately his form in Portugal has not been repeated either here or in France. Nevertheless, out of the 4 he still remains the one with the most potential. Strikers can, and often do, come back from droughts and he is still relatively young.

That goal is exactly the kind of goal that you would be expecting RVW to score. Good runs and an early ball in. In that situation he can be a lone striker.  That kind of ball in is what Beckham was so good at, an early curling ball in round the back of the defence for the striker to run in to.  Now we all know that ball never arrived in his first season for whatever reason (Hughton/Snodgrass) but if played to his strengths and with good quality early balls in, RVW will score plenty.

LDC''s reading of Grabban''s character was pretty well identical to mine. He seemed to be a bit like Efan Ekoku, quiet, thoughtful, undemonstrative. This does not now appear to be the case.

If he really has behaved as reported I think he''ll be an un-person so far as Neil is concerned. I hope the board back him in whatever he wants to do (even if it means refusing a lucrative sale to Bournemouth).

I am warming to Ricky. He certainly does seem to have the right attitude. I don''t think he''ll ever start though, but could be good in the last 20 minutes of a game to replace a tiring midfielder if the situation demands we need some movement upfront. Who knows, he might even score!

Good point about the change in manager/system having an impact on RvW''s ability to play up front on his own. I wasn''t at the game last night but from the Radio it sounded like he had a decent game, particularly in the second half.
Do I think he''s the answer to our striker problems? No, but while he''s here he could do a job for us particularly if he''s able to adapt his game to better fit our system, much like Jerome did under AN.
As to Grabban, all the power is with the players these days and if he is that desperate to leave and another club want him then the only sensible course of action is to sell.

Grabban can go back to Bournemouth and Championship football for next season. While I remain to be convinced by the Wolf (and have previously said we should get rid of him) if he''s staying for now we should get him some match time to try to build his confidence back up. In any case, a player who wants to play has got to be better than a sulky, petulant a*se (with a crap beard).

Apples  

[quote user="Mr Apples"]

Grabban can go back to Bournemouth and Championship football for next season. While I remain to be convinced by the Wolf (and have previously said we should get rid of him) if he''s staying for now we should get him some match time to try to build his confidence back up. In any case, a player who wants to play has got to be better than a sulky, petulant a*se (with a crap beard).

Apples  

[/quote]
+1. RvW showed flashes of real quality last night. We haven''t got another player in the squad who could have plucked Rudd''s wayward goal kick out the air like Ricky did last night. I agree, I don''t think he is the answer to our striker situ, BUT I can see him being a key contributor and chipping in with some goals this season under AN. Hughton''s brand of anti-football was so poor that Van Basten in his prime would have struggled to score in it, so I don''t hold that season against Ricky as imo, the problem wasn''t his ability, it was Hughton''s system and the confidence draining the longer his drought went on. Certainly worth keeping him around for me.

Tend to agree with posters who think RvW was hampered by Hughtons tactics. With the likes of Brady, Redmond, Olson, and now Wisdom, who are all attack minded, and capable of crossing the ball, I think he will come good. Was really pleased he scored last night.

Reality is, as nice as it is to see RvW get on the score sheet, he still doesn''t rank as good enough in my books, nor Alex Neil who''s yet to include him in the 18 for a Premiership game. Might change with Grabban now, we will see.
However, whilst he had a good second half by all accounts, he was completely ineffective in the lone role in the first half, as commented by (I think) Mark Rivers during the commentary. Some good touches and link play in the second half is promising (as link play will be vital if he wants to play up front for us on his own), however I still think he''s unlikely to get much game time for us.

Grabban has been an idiot. You can''t do something like that and seriously hope to get away with it. He won''t play for Norwich again so the sooner he gets another club the better. If that club is Bournemouth we all know that going back somewhere rarely works out so he may live to regret this.Yes, Bassong did come back into the fold but only after Adams had gone. There''s no chance of Grabban getting back onside with AN in charge.

If he hasnt moved up front london it suggests he hasnt settled.   It happens.     Its seems clear now that bournemouth only made an offer in the knowledge that Grabban was unsettled and in doing so have increased the unrest.    Add in moving to the second choice striker having been ANs preference and its easy to see how the situation has gotten to where it is.  That unrest also probably explains why RvW started yesterday;   a chance for AN to see a competetive performance knowing what was going on in the background with GH & LG likely to depart.

The timing,  with us wanting to move hooper on, is unfortunate but it seems we are interested in several strikers and I expect us to land a couple,  allowing the unhappy pair to leave.   That will be good for us in the long term.   If in the meantime RvW can push his own case from the bench on sunday then its a win win for the club all round.

Interesting days ahead.