Sign in to follow this  
J108

Alex and co in Marseille

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="Hairy Kenneth"]5 managers see Russ as a centre back. He has played better than Bassong so far so it''s more likely competition for him than Russ.[/quote]
5 managers? Where have you got that from? Lambert signed him as a Right Back from Peterborough where he was playing Right Back. He then spent 4 and a half season playing Right Back for Norwich. He moved to CB last summer under Adams, which by my reckoning is 2 managers that see him as a Centre Back, and Alex Neil, despite being one of the two, is looking for another CB to come in, but clearly rates Bassong and brought him in from the abyss... 
[/quote]

He played a couple of games at CB under Lambert and Hughton and I believe both said, along with him, that they saw his career progressing further down the line with him as a CB.

Then you have Strachan who is picking him at CB for Scotland and Adams and Neil who have both selected him as a CB.

And just because he brought Bassong in from the abyss doesn''t mean he is the number 1 CB- it means he is better than the others that Neil had at his disposal when he came in.

[quote user="Hairy Kenneth"]Lambert, Hughton, Adams, Neil and Strachan all played him as a CB. That''s 5 by my count.[/quote]
He played 95% of his games under Hughton and Lambert at RB. It is straw clutching in the extreme to claim they saw him as a CB rather than a RB. Neil hasn''t had much choice but to play him as he clearly doesn''t fancy Turner and Bennett has been injured. Having your hand forced into playing him at CB is different to seeing him as a CB. If he is still first choice CB at Christmas then that one will hold water. Strachan and Adams are hardly beacons of managerial nous are they?
Martin is adequate at Centre Back, but he''s not the answer long term, and I would suspect that his place is far more threatened by anyone we bring in than Bassong''s is.

my point is that many managers have picked him to play as a CB. There are a few who believe he dictates what position he plays and has some sort of hold over managers. They pick him because they see him as good enough to play CB in the PL and at international level.

Respect your opinion but I disagree.

Bennett has been fit for a while but not played, last season we had a number of options at CB but they did not replace him either.

Can see Wisdom replacing Whittaker at right back at some point in the season- I like Whittaker but is massively exposed against pace.

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="Hairy Kenneth"]Lambert, Hughton, Adams, Neil and Strachan all played him as a CB. That''s 5 by my count.[/quote]
He played 95% of his games under Hughton and Lambert at RB. It is straw clutching in the extreme to claim they saw him as a CB rather than a RB. Neil hasn''t had much choice but to play him as he clearly doesn''t fancy Turner and Bennett has been injured. Having your hand forced into playing him at CB is different to seeing him as a CB. If he is still first choice CB at Christmas then that one will hold water. Strachan and Adams are hardly beacons of managerial nous are they?
Martin is adequate at Centre Back, but he''s not the answer long term, and I would suspect that his place is far more threatened by anyone we bring in than Bassong''s is.
[/quote]

Strachan and Adams are hardly beacons of managerial nous are they?

And you are I take it?

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="Hairy Kenneth"]Lambert, Hughton, Adams, Neil and Strachan all played him as a CB. That''s 5 by my count.[/quote]
[/quote]

Strachan and Adams are hardly beacons of managerial nous are they?

And you are I take it?

Martin is a CB, KIO can state whatever he wishes but reality is current, professional managers and coaching staff see him as a CB.
I also think he''s deemed our first choice when you align his captaincy too. RM will only be dropped on poor form, there''ll be no instant sign-and-replace in my opinion.