Sign in to follow this  
alex_ncfc

Jonson interview

Anyone else read the interview with Matty Jonson on the official site? Sounds gutted that he couldn''t stay longer. He says the 3 and a half year contract in Sweden tempted him, but it''s clear he never wanted to leave in the first place. I know we have ''replaced'' him now, but I can''t help wondering how he would have done this season having fully settled in.

Ah well, all the best Matty!

he would have been disappointing, unwilling to take people on, unwilling to get down the flanks and would not contribute a single goal, just like last season...why some feel he would have been any better after 12 months in this country compared to 10, and any better against say Wolves defense than Fulhams leaves me slightly mystyfied

I read it and it does seem he is upset that he couldn''t play for us this season and show us all what a quality player he is. Like it said in the article, you don''t score 7 goals at international level without having a fair degree of talent. Always liked him when he was with us because like the two other Scandinavians who also got needless stick from fans, was a really nice bloke. He worked hard and when we played with that silly formation over the christmas period he was one of our best players. Probably because he was playing in what was pretty close to his natural position. Ah well, its a shame he''s gone and I hope he goes on to be sucessful with his new club. Be interesting to see what happens when him and Svenny go head to head.

Just because he''s playing in a lower division would not compensate for the obvious lack of qualities he has to be a successful English winger.

All in all, I think the move was beneficial for all parties. We got some cash, he got a longer contract and we don''t have to pretend having a 31 year old striker as a winger who worked with no produce to show would be good for this division.

yes Jonson wasn''t very good last season and needed to move on, but at least he was honest enough to say he didn''t play well enough and to thank the fans and the club. Arrogance seems such an integral part of football and it is refreshing to read Jonson''s comments.

That he was still positive after the difficult season he had says a lot about his character.

I wish him all the best.

I agree with this thread and also take the opportunity to belatedly respond to a posting made before the transfer after which I was asked by another poster why I though Matt was quality and would come through this season..

It is true that he had no outstanding games and generally disappointed.  I felt tat he showed enough flashes to demonstrate that there was talent there even if he couldn''t tap into it and apply it consistently.

The standard will be lower this season.  Fulham would be too good for most sides just as we should be so that is not a valid point IMHO.  Anyway, he was a substitute right back on the day we took a hammering.  Hardly a situation to demonstrate his winger qualities!!

However, what led me to think that he would pull it round this season is precisely what there is to admire about his farewell interview.  It makes an interesting contrast with the criticism of others on these boards especially about Fleming where the concern is about him blaming others and not accepting responsibility for mistakes.

Jonson has maturity and integrity.  He does know he disappointed and admits it.  He apologised to the fans.  We all have indifferent and bad days at work.  We all have the opportunity to go in the next day and put it right.  Matt was clearly up for that and would have done his best to put things right.  He is brave and committed and never hid.  We could have done with less commitment against Man City but again these boards are full of criticism of other players for not tackling or trying (see Fleming, Holt, Francis etc.).  If only for the sake of consistency can we at least acknowledge that Jonson did both and gave his best however off colour on the day that might have been?

There have been criticisms of foreign players as a genre by the Wiz and others.  We lost three Scandinavian players all of whom left, for different reasons, a sense of unfulfillment behind them.  I wish them all well.  They all tried their best.  What I miss about them as a group is the intelligence, maturity, responsibility and dignity they showed when here and especially in their departure.  When the collective stock of British footballers is tainted by the immature, dysfunctional and irresponsible off field behaviour of a too large minority, it is good to know the younger Norwich players have had the example of these three to aspire to.  Men not overgrown spoilt boys.

Farewell Matt, Tomas and Matt.  Sorry it didn''t work out.  I hope you recover your form, pride and pleasure in the game.

"So long, it''s been good to know you"

Jonson or Hughes is a no contest Jonson every time , International player against run of the mill Championship plodder. To those who say Jonson was not very good last season ,well he was played out of position in a struggling side if he was played at all and that was in the Premiership.Can anybody even envisage Hughes getting a game in a Premier league side ? no way .

[quote]I agree with this thread and also take the opportunity to belatedly respond to a posting made before the transfer after which I was asked by another poster why I though Matt was quality and would come...[/quote]

Brought a tear to my eye...

I can''t beleive people are still saying he was a c*** winger - that''s like saying Brennan is a c*** striker.   HE WAS PLAYED OUT OF POSITION ALL SEASON LONG, END OF!!

Therefore you cannot judge him this way.   I will miss him because I thought, even though he was out of position, he was getting better and always tried harder than most.   IMO he was a better winger than Hendo, yet the same people that slate Jonson want Hendo on the right, weird when they are both strikers.   Helveg and Jonson both good players that have left the club underperforming, but because they were used incorrectly by the management, a massive, massive shame.

Well said Cambridge Canary, specially your paragraph 5, spot -on!!! especially when we witness the drunken and loutish behaviour of many of our British players and fans both at matches, of whatever colour or creed.  Many show little responsibility or respect for law and order on or off the pitch.

[quote]Jonson or Hughes is a no contest Jonson every time , International player against run of the mill Championship plodder. To those who say Jonson was not very good last season ,well he was played out of...[/quote]

actually is between hughes and colin, or jonson.

Hughes and colin every time no contest.

Jonson was quite frankly useless last season, he was a nice person. but a proven midfielder and a fantastic young prospect is a great return for an ageing forward who would never play in his real position

I can''t stand these people who slag one player off then say that another should be playing who not so long ago also had "supporters" on their backs. Jonson was played out of position. Like some nice person said, you wouldn''t play Owen or Johnson out on the right because they''d be hopeless. Jonson is a striker and when he was played in a more central role during January we saw the best of him. Against Tottenham and Liverpool I thought he was one of our best players... wasn''t he voted player of the month at that time? Strange for a player who was "crap"!