Sign in to follow this  
Rich T The Biscuit

Could Lafferty be like a new signing?

I have watched Lafferty play for NI and he looks a real handful, he''s a big lad and has plenty of pace and is comfortable on the ball.

Like others we haven''t really seen the best from him, be it injuries or being played on the left wing. AN clearly didn''t see enough in him last season when he took over to select him but maybe a loan away might have done some good.

We all know he has had a reputation, but he''s settled, engaged to be married so maybe he''s now giving football his fullest attention.

He tweeted that he was fit to play last night but not selected, he was never going to be selected as he hasn''t played any games so I''d expect to see him turn out for the U21''s in the next few games if he has a future.

He''d certainly give us the different option

He is a strange one because, like you mention, he has many attributes that we are looking for in a striker - big, strong, a bit of pace, works hard and could potentially lead the line well.

His goal scoring record, however, is not the best and may prove to be too much of a risk to rely on him this season.

Would be happily proved wrong though!

I wouldn''t be upset if he was 4th choice striker at the club come end of the window, he''s pretty versatile as a bonus.

It more depends on whether AN is happy with his attitude and has space for him in the squad I would imagine as to whether he remains.

Jerome, A. Nother, RVW, Lafferty would be a bit weak for me if Grabban goes. I suspect RVW is ahead of Lafferty in Neils mind as well, so if we get 2 strikers in or Grabban stays (somehow), Lafferty seems most likely to end up missing out.

I think that many who agree that we need a consistent, i.e. in converting chances, striker, will have some doubts about the Irishman.

In the full season he had with us he was energetic and willing to challenge. The problem is that although tall he is not very strong in heading, and he doesn''t score many, perhaps because we played him wide left.

I ask myself, "If he was not already on our books, would we regard him as a priority signing, and be prepared to pay good money for him?" In my case the answer is "no", we have many good creative players, and what we need is a high scoring striker.

No, I think he could be like one of those players that you want to go but no-one wants. Someone will eventually come in for him, whether he wants to go when he''ll be on a good contract is another matter.

Going back to the original OP`s post, I too think that he does give us a different option.My big issue with Lafferty is that I have no real fixed idea of what that option is, as he does not appear to fit into any position on the field comfortably.  Other than throwing him on from the bench "up front" in a desperate attempt to score in the last 10 minutes of a game we are losing, where do you fit him in?He has talent, but its not big enough to build a side round him so how do we utilise it without upsetting the balance of the side?

That''s my point MW, maybe he is that throw him on and knock it long outlet ball that we don''t have.

I don''t think we saw a fair reflection of what he can do under NA and AN found a system that worked for him with Grabban/Jerome so he got farmed out on loan.

I get what others say, clearly we''d not be looking at signing him if he wasn''t here already, but maybe, just maybe playing to his strengths would be valuable.

As I said NI get the best out of him and he tends to play the lone striker for them.

I feel I should admit, I put a bet on him being top scorer in the Championship pre-season last year, so his poor record is all my fault. Thankfully, no such bet this year, so he''s bound to come good!

No - I will support him if he plays but he''s essentialky not very good. Never scored a lot of goals in any team he''s played in. Even at Burnley (where I thought he''d scored a few), he didn''t have a good record.

[quote user="Rich T The Biscuit"]

Could Lafferty be like a new signing?

[/quote]
Yes, he could be exactly like a new signing for the next club that signs him.
Pretty obvious he has no future here at all.

I regarded him as a league 1 striker last season so why should he make an impact in the PL. Trouble is who wants him and from his point of view who would offer him anything like the salary he is on here. Another big financial loss to get him off the books unfortunately

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]I regarded him as a league 1 striker last season so why should he make an impact in the PL. Trouble is who wants him and from his point of view who would offer him anything like the salary he is on here. Another big financial loss to get him off the books unfortunately[/quote]

How much is he earning then.?