Sign in to follow this  
Old Shuck

Jon Walters Bid By Norwich Rejected By Stoke

If McNally has sanctioned this move then as many of us suspect he does not have the best interests of the club at heart.

He is only interested in his bonus.

McNally out

I''d take him as back-up to Jerome, but he is not the maverick striker we need to relieve relegation pressure over the course of the season.

Walters as well as someone that slots into the first 11 please.

I love our squad and Alex Neil but we really have been poor this transfer market, a lot of time and resource wasted so far.

[quote user="trawler canary"]This is disgusting and completely unacceptable having a binner at the club is not on.

I would be forced to Boo one of my own players constantly.

This is how desperate our transfer policy has become.

I am now serious questioning what is going on at the club![/quote]Lapps, quick! Another alias to add to your list!

I don''t know why people are thinking this is the main striker that we are looking at. He seems to very rarely play as a striker anymore unless as last resort. Has been used more often than not on the right of midfield. If we was to sign walters, I''m sure it would purely be as cover in midfield and at last resort, another option we could throw on up front if we need a goal. We have loaned out both Murphys, so are short on wide options. We may well get walters, which as our main striker would be bad business, but as cover is a good piece of business. He is the sort of player who would run through brick walls for the team, and that''s the sort of player Alex Neil seems to like and want. I''m sure we will have another striker joining before the end of the window. If we get walters aswell then that''s just an added bonus

A solid players who works tirelessly, doesn''t score many goals but very effective as a team player I dont care that he was a binner years ago he would be a player that would fit into AN type of play and although plays in a different position at Stoke i could see him as a back up to Jerome.

Better than some we have been linked with.

crispy wrote: "we really have been poor this transfer market, a lot of time and resource wasted so far."

Really? Five signings completed, four of them several weeks ago. Only our quest for a striker is unresolved. Getting a good striker of exactly the type you want is notoriously difficult for any club.

This is getting a bit embarrassing for us now. Not that I don''t rate Walters as a player, in fact the opposite.

A £1.5m is just offensive to Stoke and to the player, he has played pretty much every game of the last six PL seasons for them. Why on earth are they going to sell him for that...

A bit underwhelmed at first, but coming round to the idea, especially if cheap. If we get a really good CB and Walters in, I''d take that.

Couldn''t care less that he played for Ipswich tbh.

Solid Premiership player for years and gives 100% every game, I would take him for that price every day even if he was a winner.

We have had a poor transfer window it is clear we have worked very hard however, but it has been a little too public.

brady was crazy, destro and mbokani... the list continues.

We may have had a lot of dross added by many on here or other forms of media that have gone nowhere, but it has been a very poor window.

Again Mulumbu is a great signing, brady (time will tell), Dorrans is solid but again no other prem club would look at him and Kean does the job.

Wisdom on loan works, yet I would still like a centre half and forward, it seems we are now looking at agents and clubs who are highlighting their players. But also putting in bids where these are leaking out.

This has been a disruptive window and we still need a number of results.

Walters is a solid player and one that fits AN ethos, could od a job but not a player that offers much in flair or match winning ability. A great solid player but nothing more at the moment.

Ah well lets see what happens

[quote user="smooth"]We have had a poor transfer window it is clear we have worked very hard however, but it has been a little too public.

brady was crazy, destro and mbokani... the list continues.

We may have had a lot of dross added by many on here or other forms of media that have gone nowhere, but it has been a very poor window.

Again Mulumbu is a great signing, brady (time will tell), Dorrans is solid but again no other prem club would look at him and Kean does the job.

Wisdom on loan works, yet I would still like a centre half and forward, it seems we are now looking at agents and clubs who are highlighting their players. But also putting in bids where these are leaking out.

This has been a disruptive window and we still need a number of results.

Walters is a solid player and one that fits AN ethos, could od a job but not a player that offers much in flair or match winning ability. A great solid player but nothing more at the moment.

Ah well lets see what happens[/quote]A baffling post. How can it so far have been a poor transfer window when you approve of all the players we have got in?As to being too public, as far as I am aware we haven''t been public at all, as is our policy. But we have no control over how public agents and the selling club want to make a potential transfer.The one mistake you can argue we made was over Brady, by seemingly doing what we have previous for, which was starting with absurdly low bids that were never going to be accepted and gradually working our way upwards.With some clubs that might have stayed private, but Steve Bruce is a very media-friendly manager, and there was always a danger he would complain about our  low-ball bids. That was something we might have seen coming.

[quote user="Herman "]Quite literally would prefer Julie Walters.[/quote]

I think the world is about to stop spinning. The arch happy clapper is not happy clapping.

I am going to have to go for a lie down

Its been a terrible window and we now just look completely desperate , the two areas of our team that needed strengthening were defence and strikers and nothing has been added apart from a loan who wont get more than a handful of games all season . Targets are now getting poorer by the day ...Walters no thanks old ex binner on the downward slope ,would rather sign nobody .

Really underwhelmed by this apparent bid. In terms of premier league experience Walters is head and shoulders above all in our squad but in terms of quality I''m not so sure. We don''t need ''back ups''! We need to add quality and in my opinion this signing would be just another number.

Can one of you please explain how we are "scraping the barrel" with Walters?

Doesn''t particularly excite me but he''s been good enough for a team that''s stayed in the prem for six or so seasons running, and he''s been a pretty consistent figure in that.

Norwich fans seem to think we''re going to sign some 20 goal a season striker. That is unlikely, unless we get lucky .

3 years too latei expect the next time i look on the bbc football rumours page its going to say ''Norwich City have been linked with a move for anyone they can get for under 3 million, regardless of their ability, age or form''

[quote user="hogesar"]Can one of you please explain how we are "scraping the barrel" with Walters?[/quote]34 goals in 178 games for Stoke, and I think a fair few of those were penalties. If we''re buying him as a backup/rotation player for various attacking positions, fair enough. If he gets the number 9 shirt, how can it be interpreted as anything else?

Who said he''s our number 9 target? The club certainly haven''t.

Who do we have with a better Prem record? I''d see him as competition for Jerome.

You were probably the same lot moaning when we signed Jerome last season!

I never suggested anyone at the club had said he was our number 9 target. I offered my opinion based on the signing of Walters as a rotation player (fair enough) or a front-line striker (scraping the barrel). Jerome, while brilliant last season and well worth his place at present, has a similarly poor strike rate at the top level. If we are only going to buy one striker, we should buy someone with a better goalscoring record than Walters. If we buy Walters and a quality number 9, that''s fine by me.

I am not against him particularly, especially at a bargain price.

But my concern will be the impact on the current players. Presumably, if we buy him it is with a view to him being in the match day squad. If he replaces another forward it could see either Hooper or Grabban being totally dropped. This would destroy Grabbans fragile confidence and really hack off Hooper.

I therefore only want us to sign someone who is to definitely challenge Jerome for the starting place or is a lot better than we already have and I''m not convinced Walters is either of these.

Signing Walters might just break the long-standing Neil Emblen Award for Least Inspiring Signing in a Transfer Window record... The guy was distinctly average at his peak; he''s now well past his best. If we''re signing Stoke''s third-rate cast-offs then we thoroughly deserve to be relegated. There are much better players (eg Austin) who we know for a fact are available, we just need to spend the damn money.

CanaryOne wrote the following post at 21/08/2015 2:46 PM:

Its been a terrible window and we now just look completely desperate , the two areas of our team that needed strengthening were defence and strikers and nothing has been added apart from a loan who wont get more than a handful of games all season .

Targets are now getting poorer by the day ...Walters no thanks old ex binner on the downward slope ,would rather sign nobody .

It looks increasingly desperate and bungled, no wonder players (allegedly)don''t want to come here!

How is he a Stoke cast off ? He has played the majority of games for Stoke over the last 5 or 6 seasons. If he was only playing like 5 or 6 games a season then yes, but when he is playing over 30, every season, then you can''t call him a cast off. People want us to sign someone, and then when we go for them, they moan. Can''t win with some people. If you think we are going to go sign some world class international striker, then you are going to be waiting a long time. And as for austin, he is much a proven premier league striker as grant holt or michu. He had 1 good season. Doesn''t make him proven. When they are hitting double figures every season in the premier league, then they are proven.