Sign in to follow this  
Move Klose

Benik Afobe 3rd Bid Rejected

Robert Barnes wrote the following post at 27/08/2015 9:43 PM:

According to the sun and other papers.we have been told by wolves that 15 mill is what it will take to get him, do we go for it or not?????

Not at that price!

15 mil for a completely unproven youngster who''s so far only performed at Champs level at best and they only paid a couple of mil for less than a year ago - seriously, just f**k off.If we pay that, then we are being taken for a bunch of c**ts, regardless of whether or not the player ended up performing to the required standard.Roma only paid 14 mil for Dzeko - a proven, premiership striker who''s also performed at the top level internationally, and whilst I can concede that wages would be a sticking point, the fact is that there''s no way in hell that Afobe should be priced at a million above this, despite having done jack all to justify it.Please, just walk away from this one, because we are simply getting mugged off, and whilst the likes of Chelsea and Man City can afford to dump millions on players and write them off if it doesn''t work - we can''t...

That would depend on if we sell Grabban for 7 million then we''ve upgraded to a young hungry striker fo 8 million.

But tend to agree 15 million for an unproven youngster is a big gamble for a club at our level.

Indy Bones, no need for that kind of language.
This is the market we are dealing in, unfortunately.
We need to sign a decent striker, and will be held to ransom by the selling club.
WBA turned down £22m for Berahino FFS!
Connor Wickham, a hardly used Sunderland player, signed for £9m by Crystal Palace.
Brown Ideye - £10m for WBA - scored 4 goals.
It''s bonkers.
And I do wonder how many posters here would sh*t themselves with rage if we paid more than £12m for a striker, and would also sh*t themselves with rage if we didn''t.

Providing a percentage of the £15m is dependant on NCFC remaining in the PL at the end of this season, then the purchase of Afobe would appear to be, at this late stage of the transfer window, a necessary gamble.

He is a more exciting prospect than Murray and Gayle, both of whom would equally represent a gamble, if somewhat cheaper.

Berahino has already proved himself at this level, as has Wickham to some degree, I''ll give you Ideye, but even then he was a full international who''d already performed in other top leagues across Europe (and was STILL cheaper than Afobe is being touted at).The money situation may be bonkers at the minute, but we''d need to be just as bonkers to pay that for Afobe.As for the language, I will apologise, but this sort of thing really frustrates me and it was the easiest way to express that frustration quickly.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]Indy Bones, no need for that kind of language.
WBA turned down £22m for Berahino FFS![/quote]lol! [:D]

No worries, I know what you mean.
Just because I hate Wolves - It would be brilliant if we were using Afobe as a smokescreen for another signing, meaning he is unsettled and annoyed at the club, they are annoyed with him, and we buy someone better for less money.
I would be okay with him as a signing though, he is strong, quick, links midfield and attack and would feast on the service Brady and Redmond can provide.
It is a lot of money - a lot - but we spent a combined £13.5m (14.5m?) on Hooper and Van Wolfswinkel and I suspect this deal is better thought out.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]Indy Bones, no need for that kind of language.
[/quote]
What on earth is profane about For Football''s Sake?

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]
It is a lot of money - a lot - but we spent a combined £13.5m (14.5m?) on Hooper and Van Wolfswinkel and I suspect this deal is better thought out.
[/quote]
This is about my position on it. Quality now costs exorbitant amounts. I would rather have one Afobe than two Grabbans.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]Indy Bones, no need for that kind of language.
[/quote]
What on earth is profane about For Football''s Sake?
[/quote]

I assumed Bor was referring to Berahino, frighteningly fast striker!

If you listen to Kenny Jackett from BBC WM in the last hour he reiterates what hes  been saying for ages that Afobe will be a Wolves player come deadline day. I have said on these forums many times last few days that Afobe would not come here. I hope City finally get the message and put no more bids in, its time we accepted enough is enough.

[quote user="Dead Canary"]£30m a pittance! That made me smile. Andy how much money do you think we get next season if we stay up? You do realise the club have to pay wages too on top of that?[/quote]

I accept ''pittance'' probably isn''t the word I should have used; however the point is still valid I think - the facts are out there for anyone to find... If we stay up this season, we get £65m (assuming 17th place). Next season even if we finish bottom, we get a guaranteed £97m. So that''s £162m minimum guaranteed income if we stay up this season.

Clearly worth investing 30m to win over 5X that amount, given that the majority of that 30m investment could be recovered by selling the players in the event that we don''t stay up (so in effect we''re only risking £5m or so to win $162m). Yes, we have to consider wages - but if we''re going to become a consistent Premiership club, we have to accept that we need to increase wages for certain key players.

[quote user="andyc24_uk"][quote user="Dead Canary"]£30m a pittance! That made me smile. Andy how much money do you think we get next season if we stay up? You do realise the club have to pay wages too on top of that?[/quote]

I accept ''pittance'' probably isn''t the word I should have used; however the point is still valid I think - the facts are out there for anyone to find... If we stay up this season, we get £65m (assuming 17th place). Next season even if we finish bottom, we get a guaranteed £97m. So that''s £162m minimum guaranteed income if we stay up this season.

Clearly worth investing 30m to win over 5X that amount, given that the majority of that 30m investment could be recovered by selling the players in the event that we don''t stay up (so in effect we''re only risking £5m or so to win $162m). Yes, we have to consider wages - but if we''re going to become a consistent Premiership club, we have to accept that we need to increase wages for certain key players.[/quote]No, simply not correct because we would get £65 million even if relegated and there are also the parachute payments to consider.It is certainly a win situation if we stay up but it is by no means a win of £162 million.

[quote user="andyc24_uk"][quote user="Dead Canary"]£30m a pittance! That made me smile. Andy how much money do you think we get next season if we stay up? You do realise the club have to pay wages too on top of that?[/quote]

Clearly worth investing 30m to win over 5X that amount,
given that the majority of that 30m investment could be recovered by selling the players in the event that we don''t stay up (so in effect we''re only risking £5m or so to win $162m). Yes, we have to consider wages - but if we''re going to become a consistent Premiership club, we have to accept that we need to increase wages for certain key players.[/quote]I really don''t think so. Very roughly, our income this season will be £95m, with £65m of that coming from TV money. What we spend in the transfer market this summer, or in January, will have no serious impact on that.The only predictable effect of spending £30m now will be to provide us with the same amount of extra income by way of the new TV deal (pushing the total to £130m) IF it means we stay up this season. In that case we will not quintuple our investment. We will roughly cover it.Beyond that, if £30m-worth of signings were to continue to help us to stay up, or we sold the players on at a profit, might be another matter.

A £15m player is actually a £25m player.

Too many posts here refer to purchase price as the cost to the club.

It is not.

£15m player = (say) £50k per week = £10m contract over 4 years.

Let us leave our signing on fees, bonus clauses, staged payments et al, the club must account for the £25m.

This £25m player might look cheap in the Premier League, though he must also be paid in the Championship where he looks like an expensive white elephant.

As we have seen withe perfectly pleasant RvW, high purchase fee and high wages are no guarantee of resale value or resale at all.

A business simply cannot do what cheapskate fans do and nominate every player they can think of as a roaring success. The alternative must be prepared for. Mitigated against via research, scouting, analysis and due diligence, but the reality of the cost is far, far beyond the initial outlay.

Parma

That''s all well and good from Jackett, about not selling, but let''s wait until Tuesday afternoon, and see what Afobe has to say about it....................

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

I really don''t think so. Very roughly, our income this season will be £95m, with £65m of that coming from TV money. What we spend in the transfer market this summer, or in January, will have no serious impact on that.The only predictable effect of spending £30m now will be to provide us with the same amount of extra income by way of the new TV deal (pushing the total to £130m) IF it means we stay up this season. In that case we will not quintuple our investment. We will roughly cover it.Beyond that, if £30m-worth of signings were to continue to help us to stay up, or we sold the players on at a profit, might be another matter.[/quote]One should never post while entertaining...[<:o)][:D][:$]That paragraph should read something like this:The only predictable effect

of spending £30m now will be to provide us with an income in 2016-17 - IF those signings help us stay up - of £130m, thanks to the new deal. That is opposed to the (very) guesstimate income of £80m in the Championship next season. So spending £30m (bearing in mind Parma''s caveat) would not quintuple our investment but less than double it.

All gone suddenly very quiet on this one. Considering that all of the ''leaks'' have come from Wolves'' end perhaps we''ve finally snared their interest and work''s going on behind the scenes to sort the replacement etc?

Alternatively we haven''t bid again ... Yet!