Sign in to follow this  
Move Klose

Benik Afobe 3rd Bid Rejected

Sell Grabban and send an improved bid to Wolves one they cannot refuse. It might seem a gamble but Grabban aint a happy bunny and that will not help us at all !!

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Thats the ultimatum you''d give him? ''go to wolves or rot in the reserves.''

Imo that''s very naive and childish. The club needs to be better than that and better than the attitude that Grabban has shown. The club needs to be above all that nonsense imo.[/quote]
What''s the alternative? He clearly doesn''t want to be here. Do we roll over and sell him to Bournemouth on the cheap because he''s having a strop and refusing to go anywhere else? He''s the one backing himself into a corner, and both him and us are running out of ways out of this mess.

At the end of the day here''s the hard fact.

Not many clubs are prepared to pay £14 million for Afobe. Given he''s unproven at this level. This gives us a good chance of actually signing the player.

If he was worth £14 million, there''d be more competition and we''d struggle to sign him. Similarly if wolves were willing to accept a figure more reasonable to his current value, say £7 million, then again more competion for his signature. Thus making our chances of signing him slim.

So our like ours, has to take risks. £14 million is a risk, but one we can afford to take. Especially as we can take advantage of offering him an attractive wage packet, which will still be considerabley less than a proven £14 million striker, such as Austin.

Pay the money and get it done.

Vanwink/kickitoff:I think my original post was more a pre-emptive strike against people soiling themselves if we don''t get Afobe or someone of similar cost. I''m not in any way suggesting we should wait until January until filling the gaps, just that with the way the team is playing (dictating the tempo, creating chances, scoring goals from defence and midfield) we may well continue to be ahead of the curve without the need for that marquee striker signing a la Ashton 2005. All about options, isn''t it – if we have Jerome, RVW, Gayle and Walters-or-Murray (or similarly experienced brute), that''s plenty of options for a team that defaults to one up top. This team continues to share the goalscoring burden, and as long as we get the goals it doesn''t matter who gets them. If AN decides not to spaff crazy money on Afobe, Austin or AN Other, I''m just appealing to people to consider the above before spouting the ''tinpot'' guff. It won''t work, of course, but I wanted to say it nonetheless.

Do wolves want 10m to improve their squad, which they need, or do they want to not improve their squad and have a good forward.

It''s up to them

[quote user="lincoln canary"]At the end of the day here''s the hard fact.

Not many clubs are prepared to pay £14 million for Afobe. Given he''s unproven at this level. This gives us a good chance of actually signing the player.

If he was worth £14 million, there''d be more competition and we''d struggle to sign him. Similarly if wolves were willing to accept a figure more reasonable to his current value, say £7 million, then again more competion for his signature. Thus making our chances of signing him slim.

So our like ours, has to take risks. £14 million is a risk, but one we can afford to take. Especially as we can take advantage of offering him an attractive wage packet, which will still be considerabley less than a proven £14 million striker, such as Austin.

Pay the money and get it done.[/quote]

Pretty much this. very well put. it seems our only competition would be Newcastle, but with the money they''ve spent this summer, I doubt Ashley would shell out 14 for Afobe

But 14m is too much

I''ve seen people throw down on here. Cry bloody murder and defile each other''s patronage over a 30million stadium expansion but 14m on a striker with lots of promise but unproven at premier league level and suddenly its "come on! Stop being so tight!"

kick it off wrote the following post at 26/08/2015 3:32 PM:What''s the alternative? He clearly doesn''t want to be here. Do we roll over and sell him to Bournemouth on the cheap because he''s having a strop and refusing to go anywhere else? He''s the one backing himself into a corner, and both him and us are running out of ways out of this mess.

-----------------------

Say Bournemouth don''t meet his valuation and he doesn''t want to go to wolves (why would he). He''ll stay and buckle down like 95% of other footballers do when they don''t get the move they want. This isn''t that much of a big deal, we''ve had this before with players e.g. Wes and Holt. It''ll be fine if he stays. Now personally I''d be glad if he went to Bournemouth as it would mean they''ve reached our (overpriced) valuation of him and can spend the funds elsewhere. I still don''t think we should get rid of Hooper, though there have been very strong reports this week saying he''s off to Sheff Wed - this is a mistake and we should keep him - not only can he play behind the striker, but he can also play as a striker, with his finishing he is an asset and he showed this last season - despite having less game time he scored the same amount of goals and more important goals than Grabban. The reason why we would possibly keep Grabban is because he can play upfront on his own, therefore he should only be sold if we can find a replacement who can also play up top on his own. - Which is why I''m slightly confused about our interest in Afobe as he rarely plays upfront on his own. Wolves often get the result when he plays upfront with Dicko (posted about this on the other Afobe thread).

As I said before, Hooper could be going to Sheff Wed and therefore I can only understand getting Afobe in if he does go to Sheffield.

I''m with buh.

He looks like a talent but he only went to Wolves last year on loan from Arsenal. To go from a loanee to a £14m player is huge and I think it''s to much of a gamble for someone who has only played League 1 football with MK Dons and Championship with Wolves.

I''d have preferred Andre Gray for £9m but that ship has sailed.

If we''re gonna spend £14m then dig deeper and get that extra million for Austin, or better still use Hooper as a makeweight in the deal as QPR were keen before.

What happened to wes and holt is nothing like this.

We are talking about a player who has walked out on his team mates and manager 3 hours before a game he was due to be involved in without permission. We ain''t talking about someone leaving the ground due to not being involved in a matchday squad. Should imagine Mcnally and neil won''t be standing for that.

He won''t feature for us again and will be sold.

WE WILL NOT BE BUYING CHARLIE AUSTIN.

Will be alot of disappointed fans come Tuesday if they genuinely think this will happen. It won''t.

[quote user="Rich T The Biscuit"]I''m with buh.

He looks like a talent but he only went to Wolves last year on loan from Arsenal. To go from a loanee to a £14m player is huge and I think it''s to much of a gamble for someone who has only played League 1 football with MK Dons and Championship with Wolves.

I''d have preferred Andre Gray for £9m but that ship has sailed.

If we''re gonna spend £14m then dig deeper and get that ext

ra million for Austin, or better still use Hooper as a makeweight in the deal as QPR were keen before.[/quote]

THIS ^^^^^

Of course they won''t stand for it, but they''ll only want to sell him if a club meets the valuation, whether it be Bournemouth or Wolves

£14 million is about what the club get in total gate receipts for a season, this is just crazy.Thats the total of all the money paid by every supporter to watch the team play at home for a yearHe may go on to be a £14 million player, but he is`nt one now.

Yer which is now alot lower than it was on Monday.

You think we in a position to turn £6m for someone who don''t wana be here, who has lost the trust of fellow players and his manager.

This will drag on til Tuesday, whether they go higher than the £5.2m quoted or not doesn''t matter, he will be gone.

If they come in at 5.5m take it or leave it. After what happened yesterday he will go. Have no doubt about it. We don''t have the luxury of letting him rot in the reserves.

Lot of assumptions here about 14 mill for Afobe...in fact likely Wolves have much higher valuation...20 mill or higher..this 14 mill figure was rumoured by 1 solitary guy in the Mirror...Wolves themselves have never given out any sell price they would happy with to the public or media.

Can anyone tell me what This ^^^^^ actually means in response to my earlier post.

I''m not suggesting we will get Austin, the point I was making is that Afobe is not worth £14m and if we end up paying that I''d rather we at least tried for Austin first, unless people on here actually know Austin, Tiny Fernandes, Austins representative etc how can anyone know.

It might be that we''re the only choice come the end of the transfer window, who actually knows, please step forward......

Sure he might love London (apparently) but he''s clearly not heading to Spurs, Chelsea or Arsenal is he, therefore he''s gonna be moving somewhere

[quote user="Molly Windley"]£14 million is about what the club get in total gate receipts for a season, this is just crazy.Thats the total of all the money paid by every supporter to watch the team play at home for a yearHe may go on to be a £14 million player, but he is`nt one now.[/quote]

And if he does, we won''t be able to buy him.

Take the gamble whilst there''s little interest in him. Who cares about gate receipts anyway, it''s insignificant compared to the TV money.

[quote user="Rich T The Biscuit"]Can anyone tell me what This ^^^^^ actually means in response to my earlier post.

I''m not suggesting we will get Austin, the point I was making is that Afobe is not worth £14m and if we end up paying that I''d rather we at least tried for Austin first, unless people on here actually know Austin, Tiny Fernandes, Austins representative etc how can anyone know.

It might be that we''re the only choice come the end of the transfer window, who actually knows, please step forward......

Sure he might love London (apparently) but he''s clearly not heading to Spurs, Chelsea or Arsenal is he, therefore he''s gonna be moving somewhere[/quote]

Too much interest in Austin. He''ll go elsewhere.

West brom have been in the premier league how many years? They just broke their transfer record of 12m

14 million? Really?

I wouldn''t bet my life on it, there will be loads more to do before this is resolved and, as usual, complete ignorance and misinformation on how much money we have.

Oh Cameron Jeroooooooome wrote the following post at 26/08/2015 4:13 PM:

Yer which is now alot lower than it was on Monday.

You think we in a position to turn £6m for someone who don''t wana be here, who has lost the trust of fellow players and his manager.

This will drag on til Tuesday, whether they go higher than the £5.2m quoted or not doesn''t matter, he will be gone.

-------------------

You seem to think there''s no way back for him which is unfortunate. We are indeed in a position to turn down £6m for him, however it depends if the club value him at £6m or not. Personally I''d say he''s worth a bit more than that considering the prices that are going around atm. No way is Andre Gray worth £9m for example...if he is then Afobe must be worth the £14m Wolves want.

I''m not sure there is that much interest in Austin, there''s been rumours about people showing an interest but nothing has happened and he''s still a QPR player.

Now either people are put off by £15m and don''t think he''s worth it, or there will be a mad rush this week, or clubs will be looking to do a last minute deal in the hope of getting him on the cheap as QPR panic!?

If they come in at 5.5m take it or leave it. After what happened yesterday he will go. Have no doubt about it. We don''t have the luxury of letting him rot in the reserves.

QPR will wait until the last minute if they have any sense, they want to wait until the clubs have all their cards on the table I suspect. There will always be interest in a striker who''s scored as many goals as he has in a team that he''s in. QPR won''t be the ones panicking