Sign in to follow this  
Move Klose

Benik Afobe 3rd Bid Rejected

My concern is that when we finally have a bid accepted it gets matched by Newcastle and he goes there leaving us screwed

Grabben will never play for us again whether they match our valuation or not. Ricky will be on the bench Sunday

Grabban has to go.

Simple he has been disrespectful to club, manager and most importantly his team mates. You cannot have him anywhere near the fringes of the team. He can jeopardise what we are building.

This isn''t a petty spat, this clearly is not a rash decision by him, the voices from Bournemouth would have only come with foundation that the player was unhappy. He will be second fiddle to Wilson at Bournemouth, still think many cherries fans would rather fresh blood as they know his weaknesses as do we.

This guy is mustard.

Take a look at the video on the EDP site of the goals he scored last season, some 30+ in all competitions but it''s the variety - we''re not talking RvW tap ins and penalties here it''s the full range - left foot,

right foot, near and far, screamers, pile drivers, headers, penalties AND taking the ball round the keeper with confidence before slotting it in.

When did you last see a Norwich striker round a goalkeeper - in any league?!! Darren Eadie maybe the last? Always the mark of a top, top player.

Only young too so can only better - £14m? In today''s marketplace it''s about right and even a bit of a bargain if Grabbans £5.5m is anything to judge it against.

Doing a bit of a disservice to RVW there, admittedly it was in the Portuguese league which I think is probably a lower standard than the Champs, the Youtube compilation people posted before he joined had him scoring some absolute crackers, IIRC with both feet and his head.

Who knows maybe we''ll see it this season?

[quote user="ruthers1"]

When did you last see a Norwich striker round a goalkeeper - in any league?!! Darren Eadie maybe the last? [/quote]Grant Holt v WBA at home and in league One i think it was against Swindon.

didn''t Howson do it against Man City a few years ago? and he isn''t even a striker.

Things have gone too far for us to go back now. £14m will get him and other options are running out, add to that we have now in effect lost a striker with the Grabban saga as he will be no use or ornament for us now and has to be sold. Wolves hold the aces and they desperately do not want to sell so if we want and need him then we just have to pay the asking price and take it on the chin

[quote user="tired"]didn''t Howson do it against Man City a few years ago? and he isn''t even a striker.[/quote]If you mean the goal on the last day of the season when we won 3-2, he ran through the entire defence and then slotted it under the keeper rather than dribbling round him. Must''ve watched that clip 100 times... [:)]

"Grant Holt v WBA at home and in league One i think it was against Swindon."

Well I knew you''d prove me wrong again Tilly! But I think I''ve proved the point nonetheless - it''s a pretty rare thing is it not?

[quote user="ruthers1"]"Grant Holt v WBA at home and in league One i think it was against Swindon."

Well I knew you''d prove me wrong again Tilly! But I think I''ve proved the point nonetheless - it''s a pretty rare thing is it not?[/quote]
Jerome - Cardiff away last season.

[quote user="ruthers1"]"Grant Holt v WBA at home and in league One i think it was against Swindon."

Well I knew you''d prove me wrong again Tilly! But I think I''ve proved the point nonetheless - it''s a pretty rare thing is it not?[/quote]

Jerome v Cardiff away last season.

If AN thinks Afobe is worth £14m I have no issue with it, but will always wonder why if we are willing to spend that much we just don''t go for Austin?

My only thought is that AN is not sure he is the right character for us.

Perhaps another telling thing is , there doesn''t seem to be any huge statements from the player himself, or have I missed these?

If Afobe had stated he was extremely happy at Wolves (a phrase that the word oxymoron was invented for) then ok, but he seems to have been very quiet on that side of things, so me thinks this deal is far from dead in the water

That we have been back twice with increased bids suggests that we know that the player is interested in joining us. 

14m is a lot for a player not proven in the Premiership, but at 22 he has time on his side in terms of development & possible resale value.

Also noticed that Bournemouth have been linked with Austin this morning. Given up on Grabban after making him throw his toys out of the pram?

All in all, I''ll be glad when this transfer window is closed, it''s been nothing but a distraction.

We would not be going back with 3 bids if the whole thing was dead in the water from the outset. It seems a bigger repeat of the Brady saga and after a lot of huffing and puffing i suspect we will get our man but at the price the selling club want so it will be close to £14m

I honestly hope the board open up the purse strings and sign the both of them; even if we have to borrow a little and risk a small level of debt to do so. The way the board has turned the club''s finances around has been nothing short of incredible; but there is a case that sometimes borrowing to invest IS the correct thing to do - Afobe and Austin together would increase our chances of survival significantly, and it would be worth the risk of going big and getting them both I think. I understand 30m is a lot of money; however it''s an absolute pittance in comparison to how much we will make if we stay up next season; and both players are young enough to have major resale value - if we went down, we would be certain of being able to sell them and recouping 25m of that 30 I would imagine.

^ Sums up how intensely and dangerously ignorant a lot of our fanbase are to football finance

I agree a lot of people presume we have spare capital to invest in players and I am a fan of afobe, but at 14-15 million I''m sure Austin would be a better purchase.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2015/08/27/norwich-consider-fourth-bid-for-benik-afobe/?
Local Wolves rag says we are considering Bid #4.
Two interesting points coming out of this article.
One: They''re now referring to their "belief" that Wolves will sell for 14mill
Two: At the end of the article, they have a bit of filler about Bright Enokabahare saying he has unlimited potential (according to the font of striking wisdom Adam LeFondre) and generally bigging him up. Almost as if the groundwork were being laid for Afobe to depart and Wolves to say "well we didn''t have enough time to replace him, but look at this other wonderfully talented young striker we have"....

[quote user="Adycakes"]Also noticed that Bournemouth have been linked with Austin this morning. Given up on Grabban after making him throw his toys out of the pram?[/quote]That is a frightening scenario. What if Bournemouth''s sole intention was to unsettle Grabban and they were never serious about buying him, thus leaving us with a poisonous and unusable striker and making every club inflate their prices accordingly? They would strengthen their own position (by then buying a much better striker than Grabban) and weakening ours. Could be a Machiavellian masterstroke...

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]Bournelona have only done this to rattle us before our next home game WITH THEM!!![/quote]Disgraceful – and I thought they were supposed to be a nice family club. You''d never catch us doing something like that.Sorry Mark Hughes, I didn''t quite hear that...