Sign in to follow this  
Canary Legend

Will history look kinder on Hughton?

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="nutty nigel"]Indy, you''re clearly talking rubbish. You made the comment that Hughton couldn''t manage his way out of a wet paper bag and then posted another load of rubbish defending that ridiculous opinion. You don''t get managers jobs at Newcastle, Birmingham, Norwich and Brighton unless you are half decent. One job you may be able to blag but four?

This isn''t reasonable debate is it? Anyway, I thought you didn''t post on the pink un anymore.....[/quote]And responses like this are the reason I post less than I used to here.Hughton was f**king s**t - end of, and no amount of discussion about Birmingham, Newcastle, Brighton, or any other f**king club for that matter will change that.Why the f**k are people trying to defend the indefensible, instead of just admitting that the guy completely f**ked up our club, getting worse and worse as the months went on...Pathetic.[/quote]
+1. Well said Indy.
Regardless of anything else, any other club, or what the history books say, Hughton''s teams played the worst football I''ve ever watched at Norwich (Yes including the Roeder era, the Peter Grant era etc) and he took our club from an extremely strong position having already finished 12th, and had an altogether dire tenure. We had one decent 10 game spell under him, and that ultimately kept us up during the first season (although it nearly didn''t, regardless of the final 11th position which flattered us and only came about because results went our way and we won two dead rubber games against teams already on the beach). 
Despite finishing 11th, plenty wanted rid of him after the first year, he ripped the soul out of the club with his awful tactics and lack of guts.... and during his second season, many said they would rather go down and play decent football again than stay up and have to suffer watching another season of that tripe. We scored less goals during Hughton''s second year than any other season in our history. I have never enjoyed being a Norwich fan less than I did having to watch Hughton''s $hite week in and week out.
Nice bloke, but an entirely useless manager for Norwich and royally screwed the club up. If Alex Neil hadn''t come in and saved us, and returned us to the promised land, pressing the reset button on the damage Hughton did in the process, we wouldn''t even be having this conversation. We''d be talking about how Hughton had been terrible and taken us from the brink of being an established top flight club, back to the depths of obscurity in the Champs.

I''m afraid it''s unreasonable posters who, when challenged, reply with an even more unreasonable tirade of bad language including no reasonable debate whatsoever that get this forum a bad name.

[quote user="Wes Hooly Fan"]Still haven''t answered my question from yesterday LDC.

Did you HONESTLY, on the whole, more often than not, enjoy the football under Chris Hughton? Did you take pride when we went away from home, waved the white flag and inevitably lost? Try answering the question HONESTLY.[/quote] I didn''t enjoy the losses - especially the Man Utd cup game and tha ManCity game just after it - that was almost too much to take - but we weren''t good enough that season, so it was hardly surprising that we struggled in some games - but across the board after Christmas when things were supposed to be so dire, there were some excellent and enjoyable performances that got points (Man City home, Spurs home,) some lesser performances that got points (Hull at home, Newcastle, Sunderland at home) and some good perfomances that were frustrated by the lack of goals - lots of chances created (Cardiff,  West Ham away).   Seven matches - all good performances.  The rest were a mish mash of performances, some very poor I grant you, up to the West Brom game, but it was a mixture - yet still people on here insist that everything was bad, everything was unenjoyable, everything was wrong.  It simply wasn''t so!  Nothing about that season was easy - least of all, the ceaseless shouting for the manager''s head which imo was hugely counter productive - but at least people could occasionally acknowledge that sometimes things were good, sometimes we had good performances that season, sometimes we had good results.  Oh, but I forgot, anything good that happened couldn''t possibly be because of the manager, could it.......

Lakey, you''ve got to admit about 80% of the games we played in Hughton''s last season were pretty depressing. I think the problem was that people didn''t expect it to be that way, rather stupidly peole thought "oh look, we''ve spent quite a bit of money, for us, we''ll be fine" - that was never going to be the case though, it was always going to be the hardest season since we went up.

I don''t think he would Miggo. He is well capable at getting clubs up but he''d lost th e fans and we saw with Worthy how that works out.

But these tirades against him are totally unfair. He was headhunted from Birmingham to bring his team and philosophy to Norwich. If that was a mistake it wasn''t of Hughton making. I don''t get why being a football fan makes people so unreasonable. Hughton, like Worthy before him, became demonized for doing what he was paid and asked to do.

Possibly because he failed in what he was asked to do, and in the process turned our once competitive and fluent passing side into a craven bunch of hoofballers scared to pass the halfway line away from home?

So simple question for everybody, horrible scenario I know, but if Alex Neil was suddenly lured by a Sunderland (or similar) larger stadium bigger budget and only a couple of hours from his home in Glasgow,

And the board were considering options, and it came down to two, another young and possibly up and coming manager like Robbie Neilsen at Hearts or Chris Houghton, who would you be urging the board to go after?

No agenda, no swipe towards anyone, just a question, I know my answer.................

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Indy_Bones"]The football was dire, the atmosphere was dire, the results were frequently dire and yet still some fans want to defend Hughton despite all this???[/quote]Now young Indy, how could you tell this when by your own admission you rarely ever go to games?However, I assume you''ll be there tonight as the game is in your home town. [:D]A match report would be good (and should be quick). [Y][/quote]

Naughty naughty Lapps

I really don''t want to think about it. I really hope Neil gets tied down to a long contract soon.

I imagine when the PL manager heads start to roll Neil will definitely be in the thoughts of those looking for potentially the next big thing.

I actually think he has more than the usual element of loyalty about him but trying to replace him is going to be a tall order. He will have ups and downs, but from what I''ve seen we need to keep hold of him as long as we can.

Monty I don''t think you need to worry. Can you point to any PL club who realistically would see AN as the ideal replacement for their manager? However much he is admired for what he has achieved so far with us and Hamilton, he is far too inexperienced and unproven. The spectre of Lambert''s failure at Villa will make owners additionally cautious.

@Lessingham - I''d probably take the guy from Hearts right now. Anyway, its not a good idea to have a manager back.

But surely the more relevant simple question is if we were back in 2012, Lambert had just left, and the board were considering an unknown from Scotland or Chris Hughton from Birmingham, which would you have chosen?

How can anyone defend Hughtons second season, it was awful and the most boring football I can ever remember, given the money he spent on what on paper was our best ever squad.

Just didn''t fit our club.

Not sure he deserves all criticism as other managers he bought in a couple good players, but ultimately couldn''t get them to perform. Additionally his first 6 months was fantastic, great run of results.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Hughton was f**king s**t - end of, and no amount of discussion about Birmingham, Newcastle, Brighton, or any other f**king club for that matter will change that.Why the f**k are people trying to defend the indefensible, instead of just admitting that the guy completely f**ked up our club, getting worse and worse as the months went on...Pathetic.[/quote][quote user="Indy_Bones"]you appear to have lost the ability to engage

in a sensible debate anymore, which is pretty sad tbh...[/quote][:D]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Indy_Bones"]Hughton was f**king s**t - end of, and no amount of discussion about Birmingham, Newcastle, Brighton, or any other f**king club for that matter will change that.Why the f**k are people trying to defend the indefensible, instead of just admitting that the guy completely f**ked up our club, getting worse and worse as the months went on...Pathetic.[/quote][quote user="Indy_Bones"]you appear to have lost the ability to engage

in a sensible debate anymore, which is pretty sad tbh...[/quote][:D][/quote]

[:D] Lapps doesn''t miss a trick.....The animosity goes deep, but unfortunately for the "he''s sh*t, end of" people, there is a lot more to it than simply that.  He did ok at Newcastle, he did ok at Birmingham, he did ok in the first season at Norwich and surprise, surprise, he''s starting to do well at Brighton. Now he may not be a Brian Clough or a Mourinho, but if he carries on doing well at Brighton, the time at Norwich will be seen as a blip in his career, rather than a marker that he was "sh*t, end of" kind of  manager. 

I just find it crazy that some of you lot don''t think the booing and personal attacks on players etc didn''t have an effect on the players performances. Never felt so ashamed to be a Norwich fan and being associated with so many morons. Likely the same one''s that are having panic attacks over every media report linking us with a player and booing water breaks in 30 degrees heat.....

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="nutty nigel"]Indy, you''re clearly talking rubbish. You made the comment that Hughton couldn''t manage his way out of a wet paper bag and then posted another load of rubbish defending that ridiculous opinion. You don''t get managers jobs at Newcastle, Birmingham, Norwich and Brighton unless you are half decent. One job you may be able to blag but four?

This isn''t reasonable debate is it? Anyway, I thought you didn''t post on the pink un anymore.....[/quote]And responses like this are the reason I post less than I used to here.Hughton was f**king s**t - end of, and no amount of discussion about Birmingham, Newcastle, Brighton, or any other f**king club for that matter will change that.Why the f**k are people trying to defend the indefensible, instead of just admitting that the guy completely f**ked up our club, getting worse and worse as the months went on...Pathetic.[/quote]
+1. Well said Indy.
Regardless of anything else, any other club, or what the history books say, Hughton''s teams played the worst football I''ve ever watched at Norwich (Yes including the Roeder era, the Peter Grant era etc) and he took our club from an extremely strong position having already finished 12th, and had an altogether dire tenure. We had one decent 10 game spell under him, and that ultimately kept us up during the first season (although it nearly didn''t, regardless of the final 11th position which flattered us and only came about because results went our way and we won two dead rubber games against teams already on the beach)
Despite finishing 11th, plenty wanted rid of him after the first year, he ripped the soul out of the club with his awful tactics and lack of guts.... and during his second season, many said they would rather go down and play decent football again than stay up and have to suffer watching another season of that tripe. We scored less goals during Hughton''s second year than any other season in our history. I have never enjoyed being a Norwich fan less than I did having to watch Hughton''s $hite week in and week out.
Nice bloke, but an entirely useless manager for Norwich and royally screwed the club up. If Alex Neil hadn''t come in and saved us, and returned us to the promised land, pressing the reset button on the damage Hughton did in the process, we wouldn''t even be having this conversation. We''d be talking about how Hughton had been terrible and taken us from the brink of being an established top flight club, back to the depths of obscurity in the Champs.
[/quote]See, like I said, even when we won he didn''t get the credit he deserved. WBA were on the beach apparently, yet scored 5 goals the week after. Given no team had anything to play for on the last day surely everyone were on the beach so the teams around us should have won their games? We had the toughest of the lot, City away, and still won. Guess the players "ignored" Hughtons instructions again though..... (feel stupid saying it, let alone believing this rubbish!)

He''s a more than decent Championship manager- his record with Birmingham, Newcastle and the job he''s done so far with Brighton show that.

He was however, rubbish at managing Norwich City.

He started well at us, and credit to him on the 11th place finish. It wasn''t the most pretty but it was job well done.

He went completely flat very quickly in the second season though. He can sort a defence out, but his attacking tactics are very basic and it cost us and him dear.

Funnily enough, he is mainly responsible for the purchases of our best players. Redmond and Bassong moved here for him, both are vital players. The deals he got for people like Tettey and Olsson were absolute steals.

[quote user="ellis206"]I just find it crazy that some of you lot don''t think the booing and personal attacks on players etc didn''t have an effect on the players performances. Never felt so ashamed to be a Norwich fan and being associated with so many morons. Likely the same one''s that are having panic attacks over every media report linking us with a player and booing water breaks in 30 degrees heat.....[/quote]
I was far more ashamed of our supporters behaviour when Worthington was hung out to dry.  Houghton got off relatively lightly, but that was perhaps because he''d becalmed the crowd into a near-comatose state with his own diabolical brand of football.

Strikers aside his transfers were generally good- Turner, Bassong, Redmond, Whittaker, Olsson, Tettey, all good signings.

[quote user="Herman "]He''s looking good to me at the moment. Will he settle for a draw though?[/quote]Yes,yes he will[:|]

[quote user="mrs miggins"]beat the scum 2-3 away. Hope he gets Brighton promoted.[/quote]

[Y]