Sign in to follow this  
carrow77

How can we work to attract bigger names to our club?

Whilst it appears that countless names are not willing to come to our club or that their respective teams appear to block any attempted move, the fact remains we need to overcome our "small club image/mentality" and the stigma associated with coming to "little known Norfolk".

I am aware we can''t read too much into reports from media outlets however their inept coverage of us over time and overall lack of it doesn''t help us right now. Everything that attracts us to Norfolk & Norwich as insiders is not shared by outsiders/the media unless they date to take the plunge and actually take a closer look.

For me we need time to establish ourselves in this league again for people to take us seriously and to attract a wider range of players from around the world....although unfortunately time is what we don''t have.

If we can see this season out by adding a few more names we''ll be in far better shape to build stronger for next and so on....here''s hoping!

[quote user="Trawling canary"]I would through in a night of uncontrolled passion with our femail majority shareholder as part of any deal[/quote]I think someone needs extra time in spelling class.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]We only become attractive when we aren''t a relegation candidate.[/quote]^^^Pretty much this.

How many years has it taken Stoke being in the premier league to sign Shaqiri?

Takes a long time. Second season in we''ll have loads of "quality" players offering their services though, just like last time.

Got to be smarter this time.

If we stay up (which I fully expect us to), there will be loads and I mean loads of money from the new TV deal that will kick in next summer. I imagine there will be some record fees broken across Europe next summer.

"Perhaps we become a bit more attractive when we stop conducting transfer activity like a bunch of penny pinching amateurs" it could be argued.

It''s about staying up and showing progress season upon season. After 2 or 3 years of survival players will see us as a premier league club and we will be less of a risk because lets face it no one wants to take a 40% wage cut if the team gets relegated. Unless of course this is your only real shot at playing at this level.

Playing football in an attractive style can only help attract better quality players too. Something that potentially made it a little more difficult for Stoke to make the quality signings they have made recently even though they have been a big spender over the last 6/7 years.

Most importantly quality costs so we need to build sensibly and not spend next seasons budget this season. Something it looks as though a lot of other clubs are trying to do with bigger fees but spread over longer periods of time.

When we can afford to pay the going rate, whatever that is, then we will be able to attract the top players. And that will take a few seasons in the top flight.

a good scouting system would help not to attract bigger names but to grow / turn unknown players into bigger names

I believe that this year alex neil has not got his scouting team as he would like that will take time to bed in he is looking at totally different players than he was last year at Hamilton we lost ome of our scouting team last year ewen chester etc so neil has to build trust a new team to find some gems

I know for a fact our overseas scouts have struggled and we have contacted scouts of others clubs for players they recommend ( they do not have same targets as ours !! )

Our "scouting system" is as amateurish as it can get. I have written about this several times in this forum, and ofcourse been shot down by the hurting local boys.

This club must make a few choices:

1. Attract top players, but pay top dollar

or

2. Buy lesser known "gems", ala Redmond, which is more of a risk, but may be fruitful in the future. This requires a much better scouting setup than we previously have ( or have had in the last 30yrs..)

or

3. Buy only British, at sick inflated prices. Sadly, quality does not always follow the inflated price for British players..

we need to become an established club and we also need to re-evaluate our wage structure (increase it). Luckily this is all very achievable if we play our cards right this season (reference to next seasons new deal which will see us with a lot more money)

The fact is we are not a ''safe'' bet for quality players looking to play top flight football

Our best effort is 3 consecutive seasons in the PL.....

although we have managed 6 consecutive seasons in the top flight when it was the old Division 1....

On average since reaching the top tier of English football back in 1972 we have managed to change divisions every 3 seasons

To become an established PL outfit I think you need to be finishing mid table without the mandatory relegation battle we suffered each of the last 3 seasons we were at this level.

Fact is we are viewed and quite rightly as the stereo typical yo yo club !

We need to expand to 35,000 and I think that the 3-year season tickets recently announced is a hint that the club will go for it if we stay up this season.

As you say it only appears ie you don''t know. You even further accept that we shouldn''t read too much into media reports. Perhaps you should follow your own advice.

How can we become a big team ? Each player over 6ft 3in or have more than 11 players on the pitch. Or should they be big gutbuckets ? That would make the team big. I think.

simple.. establish ourselves...Stoke have signed Bojan from Barcelona and shakiri in recent years.... they aren''t a fashionable club, nor with huge resources.. but these players have picked them over much more desirable locations as they are a safe bet...Stoke aint going anywhere, play well for them and the big boys come knocking... the alternative is sign for a big club with no real experience and get found out...we need to be the next Stoke.