Sign in to follow this  
Northern Canary

Holt type players

Why does everyone have a problem with Holt type players? does nobody remember how useful he was last time in the champ. I agree he was useless in the prem but players are offered very little space in the prem. Holt was an important part of the team that got promoted. We did not really have a play maker last time, although one would be good, but play makers are more common in the prem where as in the champ i think 3 lung players are very good members of a team.

[quote]Why does everyone have a problem with Holt type players? does nobody remember how useful he was last time in the champ. I agree he was useless in the prem but players are offered very little space in ...[/quote]

Agree totally.

[quote]Why does everyone have a problem with Holt type players? does nobody remember how useful he was last time in the champ. I agree he was useless in the prem but players are offered very little space in ...[/quote]

Totally agree - holt was superb in the 3 season prior to the prem and hughes will be invaluable if he can perform to that level.

However on ability Jarret appears to be ahead of him and I would say both safri and damo are too.  However they give us four very capable midfield players.  That holt was first choice when here and hughes likely to be 4th shows how far the central midfield has grown in the last couple of years.

My only concern is that all 4 of them are hardworking grafting type players and at some stage we willneed a player who can unlock defences or create a chance for the strikers instead of relying on hux to do that for us.  One central player to do that for us will give us a far greater balance.

OTBC 

[quote]holt is old, slow, cant run and he''s got rubbish awareness. do i have to say anymore to make u think he''s not worth having?[/quote]

Holt can''t run???? He covers more of the pitch than most and although he is 30+ his fitness is tremendous. He didn''t do much in the prem but he''s a solid Champ player and played a big part in our promotion season. The time may have been right for him to leave to bring is greater quality but saying he isn''t worth having is slightly harsh I think!

[quote]Totally agree - holt was superb in the 3 season prior to the prem and hughes will be invaluable if he can perform to that level. However on ability Jarret appears to be ahead of him and I would say b...[/quote]

I''m sure there are many who''d object to you calling Francis a hard-working, grafting player ZLF (Though I''m not necessarily one of them, just thought I''d get there before the Francis Out Brigade jump on it...), however I think he''s more of a playmaker, personally, which is good. Safri will be the one sitting back this year and doing the Holt work, scoring the odd wonder-goal here and there... Francis will be the one breaking forwards and unlocking defences...

Anyway, yes, in response to the original thread, I agree, there''s nowt wrong with Holt-type players - Claude Makalele, though light years ahead of either Hughes, Safri or Holty himself, does a similar job for Chelsea and was probably an unsung hero of last season - getting stuck in, protecting the defence, and snuffing out the danger so that Lampard and co. could work their magic further up the field.

And Andrew, just because Holt was out of his depth in the Prem, doesn''t mean we should forget that he was absolutely immense for us in two of the three seasons he was with us in the Champ, and will probably be a key member of the Nottingham Forest squad in Div 2 (sorry, 1, whatever)... Whenever you think of Holt''s poor season in the Prem, just think back to the wonderful run and cross at Portaloo Rudd that led to Leon''s second, and all your worries will just fade away into fits of laughter...