Sign in to follow this  
Katie Borkins

The beginning of the end of Home advantage?

Yes, of course it''s too early to jump to any conclusions, but  the premier league games so far this season have been notable for the lack of home wins...
One theory discussed yesterday (Radio 5, I think) was the home crowd expectations, built up over the summer period, are stifling home sides and (in turn) allowing away teams to play with freedom and less pressure. 
I can see a point of view which says there is less pressure & expectation away from home, but I don''t know if it is any substitute for having 30,000 people yelling at you.
Thoughts?

Admittedly, we have seen a freakishly high number of away wins this season in the Premier League- 17 away wins compared to seven at home. Also, nine out of 11 matches in the Championship yesterday were away wins.However, there have been only 38 games so far this season in the Premier League, which is a fairly small sample size in the grand scheme of things. Chances are it will balance itself out by May.Hopefully the trend continues though for the immediate future, i.e. today.

"Thoughts?"

You bring this up today?!!

Get your money on a Saints

Home win folks now Bore has jinxed it for us.

^ Exactly. It''s obviously a deliberate attempt to do so. I see Southampton are available at just over Evens today. That price looks massive!

How often are matches lost from a corner or free kick being punished by a counter attacking goal?

It seems to me the hardest thing at this level is to play sustained attacking football because most sides are set up to hit on the break. That was what Palace were waiting for and because Grabban failed to take the chances our early attacking play created their patience paid off as we over committed.

As well as away wins what we also get are stale matches where neither side will commit for fear of getting caught out and the EPL can be a dull place at times.

Neil likes to play one up front as do most sides and that single striker has to have pace, power, movement and a significantly higher chances to goals ratio than Lewis Grabban who has the other characteristics. It leaves strikers like Hooper with nowhere to go although I''ve always fancied he could play in Wes''s position if anywhere.

But Norwich are also set up to play with their full backs pushing forward in a high line. This will impact on the central defenders which is why I think ours get unfair criticism. It also means the role of the defensive midfielder is vital and the likes of BJ, who for all his attributes is inclined to give the ball away in dangerous positions, may see their chances far more limited at this level. When Olson is fit he will struggle to get a look in.

Norwich''s performance against Stoke after going a goal down was, therefore, outstanding pressing play. The success of this tactic is the key to our success this season.

[quote user="ruthers1"]"Thoughts?"

You bring this up today?!!

Get your money on a Saints

Home win folks now Bore has jinxed it for us.[/quote]
Superstitious and stupid.  Who''d have thought it.

Southampton are available at just over Evens today. That price looks massive!

It''s too big Al - has to be backed - call it a bit of unwanted compo should we come unstuck!