Sign in to follow this  
Irn Bru Canary

If anyone is in any doubt........

"Could you do a quick copy and paste please? Don''t want to sign up to the Times just to read one article."

Agreed, but it''s difficult with the Times as they manage to prevent access.

I used the old Snipping Tool on W7 to cut and paste via Photobucket but I don''t think this tool exists now.

Nuisance.

To much to post full article

"I GO into this office. I see this young, bald guy. Serious face. As weird as it sounds, I already kind of liked him.” A smile spreads as Sebastien Bassong recalls his first meeting with Alex Neil.

“I like tough people,” Bassong explains. “And I’m an observer. I don’t know him; he doesn’t know me. We just look at each other. Straight in the eye. For a long time.”

Neil spoke, “and the way he was talking, even if it was a bit . . . threatening . . . that’s what made me think, ‘I can get along with this guy.’ Because there’s no bull****.”

This was January and Bassong was back from a loan at Watford, having left after a fallout with Neil Adams, the previous Norwich manager. But their new one said: “I don’t know what went on before and I don’t give a ****. You’re a good player. Do your job and you’ll play.’” Threatening? There was one more thing. “Before you go, Seb.”

“Yes boss?”

“If you **** around I’ll break your balls.” Bassong left, laughing gently to himself. “Ah, gosh, that was good, I thought. He’s a man,” the defender says.

End of article

At Norwich’s promotion party, while standing with his partner, Bassong suddenly saw his boss pointing and crossing the room towards him. Neil put an arm round his neck and drew him in. What he said was “mostly Scottish” but Bassong got the gist: well done. And then there was one more thing: “But remember. I’ll break your balls.”

Speaks highly of Norwich as well.

And now AN finds himself in a similar, albeit more public, dispute with a senior player at the start of the season.

Adams loaned Bassong to a promotion rival. A relegation rival (for want of a better phrase) wants Grabban. Will history repeat itself? There is a world of difference between a loan and a sale. You can''t recall that player but then you do rid your club of the stink?

Adams took a lot of stick from many for his dispute with Bassong but no manager can afford to be undermined and the fact Bassong was retrievable turned out to be a big advantage to his successor.

Personally, I think a good manager keeps a professional distance from the players and to an extent even the club. Paul Lambert did this and Alex Neil seems to me to be exactly the same. Neil Adams was too familiar from the start so had a big disadvantage.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out but for me it isn''t worth keeping a bad apple and if you can get good money for him then let him go and bring in someone who wants to be here.

If Grabban could finish he would be a top half Premiership player with his pace, movement and ability to play up front on his own but he is too profligate and remains a gamble at this level.

For me there are two options:

1. Keep him, have him train with the youth team so that he doesn''t affect the team spirit of the first team

2. Sell/loan him to a championship club

We cannot allow players like Grabban to force moves by acting in an unprofessional way. Grabban is of championship standard and could have ruined his one chance at the premier league., having said that - if he scores one goal for Bournemouth, it could send us down.

I prefer option 2, but think you are right with the two options.