Sign in to follow this  
king canary

We have a problem out wide

Quite a few of our goals conceded have come from wide areas- first against Palace, all three today. Is it the fullbacks, are the wingers not covering enough or are we just not defending as a unit?

Teams aren''t generally passing through us they are getting round us.

as decent as hes looked brady isnt really a defender, you can see hes itching to get forward all the time, we desperately need olsson back then we can move brady forward

apart from that weve needed a ball playing centre back with pace and an even pacier right back for the last two years, our defence has been a problem since even as far back as when lambert took us up, the reality is martin, whittaker and bassong arent really premier league quality defenders, not as starters anyway

[quote user="iron_stan"]as decent as hes looked brady isnt really a defender, you can see hes itching to get forward all the time, we desperately need olsson back then we can move brady forward

[/quote]This.. witnessed by the fact the commentators on the stream have said everything’s come down that side and Brady is struggling.

Agree re Brady- he clearly wants to be playing further up the pitch. I don''t agree re Bassong, think he is more than good enough at this level.

For Brady we really need whoever plays in-front of him to cover him more or we need to put Toffolo in.

I agree. We look hugely iffy against any team that has genuine pace out wide, especially without Olsson because he is our only top level quality fullback.

Whitaker does some good things going forward but has too many games like the half an hour he had today where he was getting beaten all ends up even before the yellow card. Brady has filled in well enough but he is not a full back. We are hugely weak in these areas. It will help though being able to push Brady up ahead of Olsson and have two genuine left sided players because Howson is also wasted out there.

The Brady stuff is really noticeable when you watch Palace''s first goal- about 5 yards higher than the rest of the back for so Palace play a simple ball in behind him. This drags Bassong out wide and Martin and Whittaker get too narrow leaving a simple dink to Zaha free at the far post.

I''m one of those who doesn''t rate Whittaker as his lack of pace is easily exposed and he doesn''t have the brain to adjust his game to make up for it. Against Sunderland they didn''t apply any pressure so he was free to do what he does best, get forward. Those games will be pretty rare at this level though.

[quote user="king canary"]Agree re Brady- he clearly wants to be playing further up the pitch. I don''t agree re Bassong, think he is more than good enough at this level.

For Brady we really need whoever plays in-front of him to cover him more or we need to put Toffolo in.[/quote]

bassong has been relegated with us, newcastle and wolves, doesnt really qualify him as ''top flight'' quality in my opinion

And their second today. he ran away from the man with the ball and just let him have a free cross. Not enough pressure on the ball.

It''s not a one man game though is it? He was only with Wolves half a season and I think most Wolves fans will tell you that was down to the terrible change of manager.

Bassong was Newcastle''s Player of the Season when they went down, so I don''t think he was the problem.He joined Wolves in January on loan when they were already doomed, and appointing Terry Connor soon after Bassong joined sealed their fate.He was also our Player of the Season in a Premier League season, and there were plenty of other more significant factors in our relegation.

Bassong is the best centre back we have in my opinion, and has been since he joined. He would certainly be in demand by other Premier League teams were he to leave us. He''s certainly Premier League standard.

Brady is clearly an attacking full back and I thought we might get away with him taking over from Ollson, although it would need a very vigilant Bassong to cover him. However today it was clear to see that against a good winger he is not the answer. I do not actually feel he would be any improvement on Johnson, Dorrans and Howson as a midfielder. I do not think his delivery from set pieces is that great. Time will tell.

Brady had Howson in front of him and Howson had the worst game I have seen from him in a City Shirt.Whittaker had a shocker, not at the races at all today but Redmond in front of him was just awful today and no help at all.Wisdom found himself trying to mark both Pelle and Tadic twice as centre backs pulled out to help Brady.Just a shambles today, too many players not turning up,  but we move on.