Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Match thread v Southampton

[quote user="iron_stan"][quote user="Making Plans"]Sad thing is that Southampton aren''t that great. Would have an interesting match if we had turned up & we had 11 men for 90 minutes.[/quote]theyve dominated this game since kick off, we were under the cosh from the minute the whistle went, we had one chance, even before the red card we looked 2nd best, we looked nervous and were struggling to pass to other players in a yellow shirt.if they ''arent that great'' then we are in real trouble

[/quote]

They aren''t that great but then we''re nothing compared with how we played in the first 3 games.

So no, even though you''d like to be as negative as possible, we''re not in real trouble.

I would say this performance has been Hughtonesque but i genuinely can''t remember a performance this bad under Hughton, regardless of Whittaker''s moronic behaviour.

[quote user="Kurious Oranj"] even though you''d like to be as negative as possible, we''re not in real trouble.[/quote]they owned us today, from the kick off, there was nothing positive about it

Jesus, it''s a wonder some of you make it through the day without ending it all. It''s one game, the result is entirely understandable in the light of the red card, there have been plenty of positives from the other games, and it looks like we will be strengthening the squad before the transfer window ends. Have a bit of faith!

We made them look a lot better than they were, we couldn''t cope with their wingers and couldn''t even make simple passes in the first 15 minutes. Bad day at the office but as long as this is the exception rather than the norm I can live with it...

Considering how generous the opening fixtures have been to us anything less than 3 points against Bournemouth and it won''t be too soon to suggest we are bang in trouble already.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Jesus, it''s a wonder some of you make it through the day without ending it all. It''s one game, the result is entirely understandable in the light of the red card, there have been plenty of positives from the other games, and it looks like we will be strengthening the squad before the transfer window ends. Have a bit of faith![/quote]

Well said, I consider myself to be quite a pessimistic fan (always expecting the worst!) but some of these people are something else entirely.

Today was a total disaster from top to bottom, but let''s look at the bigger picture.

Four games played, with three good performances, one bad. Just write off today as a bad day at the office, learn lessons from it, and be better again in the next game.

One dreadful afternoon isn''t enough to reach for the panic button.

[quote user="iron_stan"][quote user="Kurious Oranj"] even though you''d like to be as negative as possible, we''re not in real trouble.[/quote]they owned us today, from the kick off, there was nothing positive about it[/quote]

I agree. but 1 bad performance out of 4 does mean we are in real trouble.

If our Scottish management/coaching team can''t improve on Hughton then we should have a complete clearout. At the moment we''d struggle to beat the likes of Celtic and Aberdeen.

[quote user="juicy plams"]If our Scottish management/coaching team can''t improve on Hughton then we should have a complete clearout. At the moment we''d struggle to beat the likes of Celtic and Aberdeen.[/quote]hahahaha oh piss off would ya?

[quote user="juicy plams"]If our Scottish management/coaching team can''t improve on Hughton then we should have a complete clearout. At the moment we''d struggle to beat the likes of Celtic and Aberdeen.[/quote]

It''s a good job our Scottish management/coaching team have and are then isn''t it.

Not an Alex Neil display by a long way. Whittaker will be nursing a couple of black eyes tonight and a few others will have burst ear drums.

Couple of weeks off to regroup hopefully get some signings and come back stronger.

Anyways, the wankers are out in force on the forum so time to avoid this place and get pissed instead.

This was my biggest worry about today- our own fans'' reaction to the defeat.

Despite a poor start to the game, we remained very much competitive with plenty of possession and actually created the best chance of the game up until the sending off- Southampton having a few long range shots/half chances but we seemed to have at least a fair grip in the game.

The sending off and the goal before halftime were always going to be severe blows for us. Those that watched on Sky would surely have noted the numerous occasions in which the commentating team put the whole outcome of the match down to the sending off. He even went on saying words to the affect of ''they''ve got a good squad and you''d think they''ll be alright this season''..Carragher also acknowledging that we should have been 1 up and that there is not much cause for concern from this 1 bad day at the office.

A bit of a frustrating note to go out on before the international break, but still a more than reasonable start to this campaign and I think we''re all agreed its very difficult to judge a performance after a sending off. Especially so early on in the match.

We move on!

tired wrote the following post at 30/08/2015 10:16 PM:

good performances from Ruddy, Brady, Bassong and Tettey today.

I disagree. Ruddy, Brady, Jerome played average.

All the rest way below average!

Not the best day at the office and the balance of play inevitably changed after Whittaker''s needless sending off.  We need to bring in reinforcements but we won''t be spending stupid money. As AN has said for us it''s about team spirit and that money can''t buy. A chance over the international break  - how pointless are they - to put some things right and bed new players in in time for that small team on the south coast  - Bournemouth. 

Todays performance was going to be as predictable as a wet bank holiday monday. Playing  good and having confidence to have a go as we did in our first 3 games can get you points as weve seen, but we still shipped in 5 goals in those games, and its a case of papering over the cracks of a defence we all have know hasnt been prem quality for 2 or 3 seasons. I dont know if Olsson and Wisdom as the backs and Seb and a new CB will be the answer, but sorry Whits and Martin, not good enough.Even so, Alex i trust in, and he has now seen enough in the last 8 months im sure to know that change is sorely needed. Still early in the season so no reason to get to down.Our midfield and up front  just didnt fizz today either, all round pretty insipid display. No performance like this is ever great, but maybe its come at a good time, early in the season. Overall 3 really good performances and one tepid  one from today, but our defence needs a shake up. Over to you Alex.

We are defensively poor, anyone that thinks the existing squad is good enough to keep us up needs their head examining.

I was hoping that Odjidja would have been in the squad to day, supposed to have played well in the cup match, after that performance he is proberly glad he wasn''t included.

Alex Neil has progressed and developed the team every time we''ve lost, probably moreso than following any of the much more numerous wins under his tenure. The man rarely seems to suffer the same mistakes twice.
I am unmoved by this loss, just one of those days. I think we''ll be fine.

I think the performance will justify some changes. The point of the squad is, if you don''t perform, or are suspended, others get the shirt.

I would have concerns if the only change next time out is at right back.