Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Glenn Murray

Andy, what on earth are you rambling on about?

You are the one who stated that "Murray is a good solid player that has done well wherever he has played" . You immediately followed this with "So Cameron Jerome gets injured and we play whom exactly?" What does this imply to you? You are now talking about not having the ability to see into the future when asked whether you thought Murray would be a good replacement for Jerome. So you pose these questions that you''re not really prepared to answer yourself.

You have now finished it off with a bit of sarcasm "RVW worked out well didn''t he?"

No RVW has not worked out well. And???

You also stated "I dunno what you are all expecting but a dose of realism wouldn''t go amiss...."

What is this dose of realism then?

So the guy scores 7 in 14 towards the back end of last season and isn''t good enough to get in our squad/team? He''d be a good solid signing, wouldn''t get us in Europa league but could (and I think would) contribute to us staying up which is where we are as a football club right now.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Andy, what on earth are you rambling on about?

You are the one who stated that "Murray is a good solid player that has done well wherever he has played" . You immediately followed this with "So Cameron Jerome gets injured and we play whom exactly?" What does this imply to you? You are now talking about not having the ability to see into the future when asked whether you thought Murray would be a good replacement for Jerome. So you pose these questions that you''re not really prepared to answer yourself.

You have now finished it off with a bit of sarcasm "RVW worked out well didn''t he?"

No RVW has not worked out well. And???

You also stated "I dunno what you are all expecting but a dose of realism wouldn''t go amiss...."

What is this dose of realism then?[/quote]Sweet Jesus… this needs spelling out does it?I''ve seen Murray play for three seasons now, both in the flesh and in live TV coverage. From what I have seen he is good enough to play the lone striker role. He holds the ball up well and is very good at bringing other players into the game… noticeably wingers that play off him. This has worked well for Palace with Zaha and Bollasie (sp?) in particular.We have a very capable pair of wingers in both Brady and Redmond. Brady will undoubtedly move into his preferred position once Olssen is back and playing. Ergo, we will be able to utilise both wing players in a similar fashion. As happens with Palace… and other teams utilising this type of system, your target man then gets himself into the box and tries to get on the end of a cross or ball played low across the area. Jerome does it. Murray does it. Holt did it. As did Iwan Roberts.We appear to be playing a system where Jerome or Grabban plays alone up front. We have looked better in this league with Jerome spearheading the attack than Grabban. Personally I think that of our centre forwards, only Jerome can play this role well. Its not really Grabban''s game nor is it Hooper''s. I strongly doubt RVW will prominently feature for us again… and besides, he looks far too lightweight to play that role also.So Jerome gets injured… and who do you play? If you had Murray, he could slot straight into the same system could he not? As for his pace, he didn''t seem to have any trouble getting past our centre backs did he? Besides, we don''t appear to be playing the ball through the centre where Jerome''s speed can be used do we?  Alternatively you start with Grabban or Hooper… and have to change the tactics. Do you think we look better with Grabban up front or Jerome?As for the RVW commenrt, forget sarcasm. It was a rhetorical question. When we signed him this board went into meltdown with absurd and unrealsitic anticipation of us finishing in Europa league places. The big name and costly centre forward that would bag 20 goals a season.As a rhetorical question it didn''t need answering., It didn''t work out well. Simple fact. We would have been better keeping Holt for another season for all the use RVW was.Realism: the attitude or practice of accepting a situation as it is and being prepared to deal with it accordingly:Apply the above definition to the amazing levels of vitriol spouted on here and other outlets over a rumour from a sports outlet that continually stirs the ''transfer rumour'' pot for commercial gain and the request seems wholly appropriate does it not? Unless, of course, you know our intimate trasnfer dealings and can fill in all of the gaps.

Now then… what about the opprobrium dished out over Holt and Jerome when they signed… the point that you haven''t yet got round to picking me up on? Was it warranted? Did it work out to be correct? Can you see that the same outcome could apply to Murray? Or Walters? Or whomever we might sign that doesn''t tick the boxes for the big name, big money tantrum throwers?That, you see, is the bit about not being able to see into the future.But please, feel free to dismiss it as simply the rantings of another ''little ol'' Norwicher''.

I''d be okay with Murray actually.
Can clearly fit the system, as can Jerome.  Don''t know who would be first choice but we would have two decent forwards who are strong and muscular plus Grabban if the worst happened - he''s okay but not strong enough physically for the PL in my view.  Murray is strong in the air which would suit Brady and Redmond''s delivery.
As for the price - signing a £5m player to safeguard another season''s PL income sounds like good business to me.

Could well do a job. Palace fans clearly rate him highly. My only question is is he a much better finisher than Jerome? As so far with him or Grabban up top we''ve created chances, just not taken them. A deadlier finisher could have made all the difference.

I''d take Murray as a squad player he is an improvement on Grabban/Hooper/RvW and offers some cover if CamJam got injured. However I would be underwhelmed if he was the only striker we signed. If we do sign him, then I would still want another in.

Oh dear Andy, you''re making several big assumptions here.

Your ''argument'' also appears to still be based around Glenn Murray being the only option???

There are no guarantees with any player and yes, that includes Murray!

An ''expensive'' player can be a flop. But what do you do then if you sign an expensive flop? 5hit your pants for the next 10 years and sign only cheap joe bloggs'' and slip down the leagues? - a la - "little ol'' Norwicher".

Yes a cheap player from the lower leagues can come good, and whilst there are no guarantees generally the more money you spend, the better quality you get. That''s why they cost more.

RVW hasn''t put us off signing the ''expensive'' Brady? So why would it put us off signing an ''expensive'' striker?

Murray at 32 and at £5m+ is, imho an ''expensive'' option. I also don''t think he could successfully fill the lone striker role long term if Jerome was out injured for several months.

Yes, nobody can see into the future, but that still doesn''t change my opinion on Murray. You don''t know he''d be good, any more than I don''t know he wouldn''t be a good signing. But at £5m+ for any 32 year old, especially one with relatively little PL experience, that''s a massive risk.

Who is saying they want a "big name" player? Is a big name player automatically "a tantrum thrower"?

People have opinions and you can never please all of the people all of the time. Some people will be shown to be right and some will be shown to be wrong. The facts remain though that Holt & Jerome weren''t 32 when we signed them and they also didn''t cost £5m+. Glenn Murray is not the only option for a striker and at his age you''d have little if any chance of getting any transfer fee in the future so he''d cost you £5m+ whatever his wages are (20k - 30k+?) over what 3 years? A huge, massive gamble.

This is a bit like the deja vu with Adams as manager and those who defended him, saying if your not happy with him and want him out, then who else is available? We aren''t going to get anyone better.

It comes across like you''re saying should be realistic, what do people expect, Glenn Murray is as good as we can expect, look he might come good like Holt and Jerome, and just be grateful we haven''t spunked millions on an expensive johnny foreigner with a bad attitude who could be a flop like RVW. - Little old Norwich, if ever I''d saw it.

Palace Fan here in peace

We have all loved Murray over the years but for £5m I think the majority would be happy to sell.

If you play with wingers and put crosses in the box he will score, he''s one of those strikers that always seems to be free in the box.

Apart from that though he looks completely off the pace, he looks so slow pre season and the first few games that its like an old man playing alongside youngsters.

I think he is well past his best, personally I think Jerome is now a better bet for you, he did ok for us in the premiership and he looks a better player now.

Rumour is we are going to sell Murray and Gayle and get Austin, no idea if thats true but we''ve been after him all summer.

Wake up guys Murray won''t be some sort of squad player or back up striker he''ll be our marque front player signing but he''ll end up about as effective as Johan (old man) Elmander

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]I''d be okay with Murray actually.
Can clearly fit the system, as can Jerome.  Don''t know who would be first choice but we would have two decent forwards who are strong and muscular plus Grabban if the worst happened - he''s okay but not strong enough physically for the PL in my view.  Murray is strong in the air which would suit Brady and Redmond''s delivery.
As for the price - signing a £5m player to safeguard another season''s PL income sounds like good business to me.
[/quote]You think Glen Murray would safeguard another season in the PL , that is just too funny , any club spending £5 million on Murray are stark raving bonkers its money down the drain . Might as well bid another £5 million for Murphy from the Scum and then we can grab a Champions League spot eh  . Its little old Norwich all over again just wont spend the money needed to buy the class of player required.

Underwhelming potential signing and to get him we weaken the squad by selling our best finisher! Goodness knows how we came up with our scattergun strategy? We can discuss that at our leisure in the champs next season if this represents the limit of our ambition.

For me on a par with grabban and jerome; 8 goals in 14 prem starts (+17 subs - a goal every 171 mins on the pitch) is a good record and he offers more than the remaining strikers at the club could ever (goals, finishing & work ethic).

Yes he is 31 but we need a striker to held consolidate in the prem so we can invest next season in strengthening the squad; murray fits in with the team ethic AN wants so I can see it happening.

Interesting week ahead.

Thanks for your comments Palace451. Given the speed of some of the current Palace players, most aged 30 years+ would look like an old man playing with boys (not the best choice of words!).

In August 2014 Cameron Jerome arrived from Stoke aged 28 years for £1.5m - by comparison (and allowing for inflation), Glenn Murray aged 32 ought to be valued at less, not more than that figure.

Mind you, if Norwich offload RVW, Hooper & Lafferty, we''ll need a player of Murray''s type - and what price secures Premiership status? Ask Burnley fans. On that basis alone, £3m to £5m may be money well spent in this cash-rich league...

Somebody has got to fund Palaces move for Charlie Austin , Palace go for Austin while Norwich go for Palaces 3rd or 4th striking option ....we belong in the Championship this club in the Premier League is laughable .

"a striker to held consolidate in the prem so we can invest next season in strengthening the squad"

Lol!!! You make it sound so easy ZLF, just consolidate this year with Murray and co and have a real push and assault on the champions league spots next season?

My God I''ve heard it all now - this Board of Directors and MOST NCFC fans really do deserve one other!

As the inspiral carpets sang, no one ever said it was gonna be easy; but no need to sing REMs its the end of the world as we know it quite so aggressively either.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]As the inspiral carpets sang, no one ever said it was gonna be easy; but no need to sing REMs its the end of the world as we know it quite so aggressively either.[/quote]Niche 1990s indie reference! [Y]

[quote user="ruthers1"]

My God I''ve heard it all now - this Board of Directors and MOST NCFC fans really do deserve one other![/quote]This board of directors are decent people who''ve been very successful since they came together and the vast majority of fans I''ve met down the years have all been decent people too. Why do you have a problem with that ruthers?

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="ruthers1"]

My God I''ve heard it all now - this Board of Directors and MOST NCFC fans really do deserve one other![/quote]This board of directors are decent people who''ve been very successful since they came together and the vast majority of fans I''ve met down the years have all been decent people too. Why do you have a problem with that ruthers?[/quote]

Because he is a binner !

The Sun reporting we bidding 3.5 mill for Murray?...with Mbokani on his way i would prefer a Gayle type of player to replace Hooper if he goes..but what do i know <.>I guess the next 48 hours City will be linked to a myriad of players...Wednesday will have a strange feeling  knowing no more of this until January.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]I''d like to think we''re not that stupid. £3.5m for a mediocre 31 year old.[/quote]It would indeed look desperate.

Would just be adding more sub standard rubbish to the squad , we need better than we have to survive but we seem to be targeting the bargain basement now in all departments .

Not quite as bad as the Elmander signing though in Hughtons day. But it is not great ambition