Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Glenn Murray

Oh dear, after just praising AN & the club for not wasting money if we can''t get better players than we have, this happens!

Really not what is needed, IMO, but hey I suppose we need some cover up top for a lone striker.

Hope not.

Would imagine he would just be cover and another option if we wanted to go a bit more direct. I can''t see him or walters being targeted as a main striker, surely only cover. I still think we will end up with afobe. Not a bad record last season for murray though. 7 goals in 17 prem games.

Hope not!!!

If true, shows signs of desperation in my eyes. Murray is not what we need. Unless its a player of Austin, Mbokani, Remy, calibre then we may aswell go with what we have.

Instead of spending 5-8million (estimate) on Murray, surely Antonio/ Pritchard would be better buys.

He''s a decent player. Holds the ball up, clever player and backs in well. The amount of times we have the ball wide and we still only have 1 or in some cases no one in the box, he should help.

[quote user="lappinitup"]SSN are reporting NCFC have made a bid for Glenn Murray.......[/quote]
Should have gone for Andy Murray. Decent service, great passing and effective on the volley. 

Yellow Green Army wrote the following post at 24/08/2015 1:25 PM:

Hope not!!!

If true, shows signs of desperation in my eyes. Murray is not what we need. Unless its a player of Austin, Mbokani, Remy, calibre then we may aswell go with what we have.

Instead of spending 5-8million (estimate) on Murray, surely Antonio/ Pritchard would be better buys.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

If AN wants Murray I am happier to go along with what he wants rather than what you might think is better.

Obviously AN wants players who can fit in with his team plan and if he feels Murray does this then it''s OK by me.

[quote user="Al Harrington"]He''s a decent player. Holds the ball up, clever player and backs in well. The amount of times we have the ball wide and we still only have 1 or in some cases no one in the box, he should help.[/quote]This frustrates me too, however I think it''s more to do with the system/tactics than personnel. There were a few times on Saturday when Jerome pulled out wide to chase the ball, won it, and then had absolutely nobody to aim at (or just Hoolahan, who isn''t going to win much in the air). Unless we play two up top, I can''t see how that will change – however, in terms of performance and chances created, we''re doing really well with the current setup. Not criticising AN at all here – I''m just saying with one up top that situation is kind of inevitable. If we have a lone striker who is strong and plays exclusively through the centre, we''ve always got something to aim at - but only by chasing into the channels and wide areas, like Jerome did on Saturday, are we going to win those hopeful diagonals/direct balls. Kind of a catch-22, really. It''s all to do with how much latitude/desire the other midfielders have to bomb into the box and fill that gap – Howson didn''t do that often enough on Saturday IMO, but the counterpoint to that is that we were rarely troubled on the counter-attack.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]Yellow Green Army wrote the following post at 24/08/2015 1:25 PM:

Hope not!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

If AN wants Murray I am happier to go along with what he wants rather than what you might think is better.

Obviously AN wants players who can fit in with his team plan and if he feels Murray does this then it''s OK by me.[/quote]

We appear to be at the stage where AN wants anyone who is vaguely available and prepared to come to us. Murray is ok and certainly not the worst option in the world but once again, another day, another bid, different player. Where is the focus/planning here. It just seems desperate.

May not be the star name everyone is hoping for but will still do a good job for a season or two. A real handful for defenders, not unlike Holty and knows where the back of the net is at prem level.

I''m sure we could get a run of the mill old donkey from Blackpool or Brighton for much less than they''ll be looking for. Surely we''ve a little more in the budget for an upgrade on Murray?

I think he would do a job for us.

He is not what we all want, but as cover for Jerome he fits the bill and might do enough to keep us up.

We need to stay up this season and then our bargaining power will increase considerably.

Excellent competition for Jerome. As has been said elsewhere, let''s get players who will help us survive this season, and then look at increasing our spend next summer. Murray would fit the bill perfectly.

Lots of palace fans in my neck of the woods. This is what a season ticket holder had to say:

He will score goals. Good target man. Tough, let''s the centre backs know he is on the park.

Underwhelming but solid

Nice constructive post again BUH!

I can see how Murray could be useful, do a job and Beth thinks he''s better than Jerome, says a lot for me as I respect Beth''s opinion.

I suppose it''s a little underwhelming considering the likes of Stoke getting Shaquiri. Let''s not forget weber had 4 seasons in the prem out of the last 5 including this year.

Well only speculation at present, wait and see.

He may not seem as exciting as some of the exotic names about which I know nothing. He does however, have a record at PL level and has shown that he can do a good job at PL level.

From what I have seen of him, I think that he could do a good job for us and would welcome his signing.

Disappointed, mainly because he is not young and has had little or no PL experience. He was averaging one in two in the Championship, but whether he has lost any ability recently, I have no idea.

And he won''t come cheap! If Bournemouth have bid £5m, then do we want to b id more?

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]A very under whelming signing if it happens ...[/quote][Y]AgreedA sign of desperation IMO.