Sign in to follow this  
Murray Hewitt

A little bit one dimentional

Southampton looked like a team that had done a bit of homework on us and due to us naming an unchanged team I thought we were found out today.

Unfortunately through a combination of the red card and lack of options on the bench we didn''t have the ability to make changes that may have enabled us to cause Southampton more of a problem.

This is a point that we rapidly need to fix during this transfer window, we need to have strength and depth on the bench that enables us to have a Plan B.

We were clearly struggling down the right hand side with the skill of Tadic, and Whittaker could have done with some help. He especially could have done with some help after getting booked as Southampton were clearly going to target him after getting booked so early in the game.

A changed formation could have done the trick and I feel a move to a back 5 may have enabled, a) Martin and Whitts/ Wisdom to double up on Tadic, b) create a solid back 3 centrally and park the bus c) enable the wingbacks to lead counterattacks and get crosses into Jerome without spreading ourselves too thin in midfield.

I recognise that due to Olsson being out we didn''t have a full strength defence and that the Premier League is not a platform to be experimenting, but I hope Alex Neil learns from today and recognises that we need to have a more than single game plan and we are able to react and adapt in situations such as today.

Murray

Should have sacrificed Redmond not hoolahan today - on the balance of play we deserved to lose and hope there is nothing linking to grabban suspension

Dont think it would have made much difference who was changed wes, redderz or howson;

the ususal pressing game that our success was built upon never arrived even when we had 11 men; the whole team, with the exception of an alert ruddy and solid bassong were off the pace.

When a consistent player like howson, part way through the second half, has a pass completion rate of 38% you know the whole team is off the pace. I wonder if it was a bit of complacency - we have to earn our points through graft, not believing the hype.

I genuinely think it is a case of a bad day at the office. Strengthen, get the new players bedded in and go again with a better quality back 4 and more striking options to make a renewed energy a winning formula again