Sign in to follow this  
grefstad

AN tactics vs Soton

I question some of the tactics employed by AN vs Soton, espescially after going 2-0 down.

Sacrificing Wes for Wisdom was perhaps OK, as I guess the plan was to stay in the game as long as possible, and gamble late on to try to nick a point.

But at 0-2 with 10 men, surely AN could have changed it a bit?

With Wisdom on the pitch, we could have gone 3 at the back, pushed Brady up on left mid, and played a 3-5-1 or 3-4-1-1, where later a central mid could be subbed for another striker, putting 2 up top hoping for a goal and injection of belief.

Now, I know rhis could open us up more, but at 0-2 with 10 men, there is not very much to lose. Yes, goal diff may be important come end of the season, but surely, at this time of the season it is just as important creating a positive outlook, and create our own luck?

I thought Alex had a bit of Hughtonesque whiper tactics about him today.

Lambert would have gone 3-4-2 probably on 0-1, but surely on 0-2 we could have gambled on 2 up front and try to salvage something?

Im sure he was tempted to have a bit more of a go but did you really wan to see us shipping a shed load of goals just before a International break.

He did all he could realistically do IMO

I''ve got to say I was very disappointed that he didn''t change things at HT with Howson looking shakey down the left leading to us conceding just before half time. Olsson can''t get back soon enough as Brady is not a left back and is wasted there. Hooper coming on with 2 minutes left also annoyed me. Reminded me of the Hughton days! For the first time today I think AN got it wrong but that''s only because of the red card he lost his game plan as we had nothing better on the bench.

[quote user="grefstad"]I question some of the tactics employed by AN vs Soton, espescially after going 2-0 down.

Sacrificing Wes for Wisdom was perhaps OK, as I guess the plan was to stay in the game as long as possible, and gamble late on to try to nick a point.

But at 0-2 with 10 men, surely AN could have changed it a bit?

With Wisdom on the pitch, we could have gone 3 at the back, pushed Brady up on left mid, and played a 3-5-1 or 3-4-1-1, where later a central mid could be subbed for another striker, putting 2 up top hoping for a goal and injection of belief.

Now, I know rhis could open us up more, but at 0-2 with 10 men, there is not very much to lose. Yes, goal diff may be important come end of the season, but surely, at this time of the season it is just as important creating a positive outlook, and create our own luck?

I thought Alex had a bit of Hughtonesque whiper tactics about him today.

Lambert would have gone 3-4-2 probably on 0-1, but surely on 0-2 we could have gambled on 2 up front and try to salvage something?[/quote]

twts like you make our club look so small. AN saved our club, please dont force him out.

Your thread is what you heard of a possibility on Sky. You seem to have forgotten the other 2 things they said though - go to that system and we will likely get hammered - AN is a top young manager who will reach the top.

PL smashed record after record at Villa - not sure they were good ones though

Also, at 0-3, surely it would be better to sub Jerome, who did not have his best game. Hooper came on, yes, but RvW could have got some minutes to boost him a bit.

Would not have done anything for the result, but 10 mins to let him (RvW) know he is in the picture must be better man management than leaving him on the bench all game.

In hindsight, Howson should have been subbed, not Wes, for Wisdom, but noone could know that Howson was about to play his poorest game for us in years...

[quote]

twts like you make our club look so small. AN saved our club, please dont force him out.

Your thread is what you heard of a possibility on Sky. You seem to have forgotten the other 2 things they said though - go to that system and we will likely get hammered - AN is a top young manager who will reach the top.

PL smashed record after record at Villa - not sure they were good ones though[/quote]

So writing my own views on the tactics makes the club look small? Are you deluded? And no, being Norwegian, I dont even have Sky, so what I write here is my views, and mine only.

But I have likely seen more football games than you have done in your life, and I have a feeling I have got vastly more knowledge of both players, tactics, and the fine game in general, than someone like you have got.

So believe me, AN did a Hughtonesque damage limitation after going 2-0 down. Some may think it was sensible and OK (you). Some will feel it was overly negative this early in the season (me)

alex neil is still learning his trade, but he does need to think outside the box more in these situations like Lambert would''v e done. Just bringing fresh players on cab cause a change note Johnson''s effort nearly turned in by Hooper near the end of the game. Just because Hooper''s not big and quick does not mean he cannot bring qualities of his own to the game.

I think it was all academic, no-one had a good game except Wisdom when he came on.

There was no point trying to change things because everyone was off their game today.

[quote user="woostercanary"]I think it was all academic, no-one had a good game except Wisdom when he came on.

There was no point trying to change things because everyone was off their game today.[/quote]

It is exactly in times like these in a game, espescially when losing,, when all is flat, you need to make changes. Personell, system, whatever. Just do something

Grefstad there was about two minutes between the second and third goal. Barely even time to fill in the paperwork to make the sub, let alone to warm them up, get them on and to make any form of impact. I watched on TV today and they showed the manager talking with McAvoy and Holt but by the time anything was done it was 3-0 and the game was over.

There wasn''t a lot that was going to get us anything when we went down to 10 men, we shouldn''t flatter ourselves into thinkng otherwise - we were playing a decent side who finished high enough for Europe in May, they had just lost and were clearly smarting. C''est la vie in football - we put it behind us and move on, hopefully with an improved squad come the end of the Window.

He had a timely reminder of how thin his squad is today, I hope the club comes good by signing players that will give him a few decent options to change things on the field.

[quote user="woostercanary"]I think it was all academic, no-one had a good game except Wisdom when he came on.

There was no point trying to change things because everyone was off their game today.[/quote]

Wisdom was ok going forward but defensively was awful, which follows the same pattern of the other matches I''ve seen him in. (Rotherham & under 21)

He should have taken off Howson at half time, play Johnson at left back and play Brady and Redmond wide to support Jerome, therefore giving us a solid 4 in defence, 2 central midfield in Tettey and Dorrans with Redmond and Brady making the 4 when defending.

We had nothing going forward, Jerome will chase everything all day for us but he can''t do that alone.

Ironic that people moaned about Murray as a potential target, we needed that kind of player today to take the pressure off us.

Jesus christ.. the way some of you talk.. you''d think this is as easy as FIFA.It''s very easy to sit back in hindsight and move 6/7 players around in your heads...But in the heat of the moment, when you''ve set up the team to play a specific way... and spent all week preparing for the game in a certain way...I''m pretty sure it''s not as easy as just moving players around the pitch... What about the players they have been individually told to deal with? Or what happens at set-pieces or when Norwich attack.Some of the respnoses here are straight out of football manager.