Sign in to follow this  
Trawling  canary

2 similar sized clubs

One with an owner with ambition and money the other relatively poor and well past their sell by date

Size of gap today evident to see time for Delia to take a reality check

Yep, we should sell to a foreign owner, definitely.It has worked out wonderfully for Blackburn, Fulham and Birmingham.Leeds, Cardiff and QPR are run by wonderfully sane people and their investments see them in a much better position than they were before.Reading and Nottingham Forest have seen a real upturn in fortunes.And that''s before mentioning Portsmouth.

Waveney Canary - Canary Legend - thread deleted - banned - log in under yet another account - Trawling Canary - welcome back Waveney.[:''(]

I think you''ll find that in the last 2 years Southampton have sold players with a value of around £120m and brought in players with a value of around £20m.Where is the ambition in that?

[quote user="Trawling canary"]One with an owner with ambition and money the other relatively poor and well past their sell by date

Size of gap today evident to see time for Delia to take a reality check[/quote]

Crawling back out of the woodwork Waveney you cancerous little c*nt

[quote user="Making Plans"]I think you''ll find that in the last 2 years Southampton have sold players with a value of around £120m and brought in players with a value of around £20m.Where is the ambition in that?[/quote]

I''m not sure why you think that.

2012/13

Ramirez £12m

Mayuka £3.5m

Forren £4m

Davis £500k

Rodriguez £7m

Clyne £2.5m

Yoshida £2.5m

Gazzaniga £2m

Boruc free

Total = £34m

2013/14

Lovren £8.5m

Wanyama £12.5m

Osvaldo £15m

Total = £36m

2014/15

Tadic £11m

Pelle £8m

Forster £10m

Long £12m

Bertrand £10m

Mane £10m

Gardos £6m

Total = £67m

2015/16

Clasie £8m

Romeu £5m

Cedric £5m

Juanmi £5m

Martina £1m

Stekelenburg £1m loan fee

Caulker £1m loan fee

...and possibly van Dijk for £11m

Total = £37m

Total for last 2 seasons = £104m

Total for all Premier League years = £174m

Plus they''ve spent £40m upgrading the training ground.

[quote user="Ali Dia"]

I''m not sure why you think that.[/quote]Just going by what they said on the stream I was watching. But of course, they know nothing

Sure someone will put me right but didn''t Southampton declare themselves bankrupt and wipe out there massive debt while we actually paid off ours,maybe we should have gone the same route

We should perhaps look at Swansea for some comparison to ourselves, they have either been very lucky over the years in the transfer market, or, are much better at it than us!

[quote user="yellow 63"]Sure someone will put me right but didn''t Southampton declare themselves bankrupt and wipe out there massive debt while we actually paid off ours,maybe we should have gone the same route[/quote]No and no. They didn''t go bankrupt and they did pay off all their debts.

Swansea have done very well out of player sales as well.

Redmond aside, I don''t see anyone who we''ll be selling for the sort of money that''ll bring in a couple of decent replacements anytime soon.

Why would potential signings see Swansea as a more attractive place to play than Norwich, or maybe they don''t?

One thing that worries me is that we look like the 2014/2015 Burnley team at the moment. And trying to stay up with team spirit and a bright young no nonsense manager. Maybe we are bringing in some big players shortly or we cannot manage to bring our first targets over the line. But today reminded me of the gulf in standards.

But....I trust Alex Neil. It''s not the end of the world because we can play better than that.

I don''t think we can be compared to Burnley. We have a much better squad with more diversity. Lots of championship players in that Burnley team. You could say the same of Swansea (young manager). If anything I''d say Bournemouth is the most similar to Burnley

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="yellow 63"]Sure someone will put me right but didn''t Southampton declare themselves bankrupt and wipe out there massive debt while we actually paid off ours,maybe we should have gone the same route[/quote]No and no. They didn''t go bankrupt and they did pay off all their debts.[/quote]

Day on the old Stella clouded my memory this is what I was thinking of http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/8014811.stm

Southampton buy players and then sell them to the top clubs for millions. Norwich is a where players come in for big money and then leave in order to bring down the wages bill.

[quote user="yellow 63"]Sure someone will put me right but didn''t Southampton declare themselves bankrupt and wipe out there massive debt while we actually paid off ours,maybe we should have gone the same route[/quote]

No.

Don''t get it confused with Portsmouth those parent company and football club both went into admin, they reneged multiple CVA''s, with over £140m of debt and weren''t punished for diluting one CVA with another.

Southampton''s holding company went into administration, the football club didn''t. The football club has never been in admin so has never legally needed a CVA (p in the £ agreement).

The debts of the football club were settled in full by Liebherr for £13m and they paid a further £4m when the club was promoted to the Premier League.

[quote user="Ali Dia"][quote user="yellow 63"]Sure someone will put me right but didn''t Southampton declare themselves bankrupt and wipe out there massive debt while we actually paid off ours,maybe we should have gone the same route[/quote]

No.

Don''t get it confused with Portsmouth those parent company and football club both went into admin, they reneged multiple CVA''s, with over £140m of debt and weren''t punished for diluting one CVA with another.

Southampton''s holding company went into administration, the football club didn''t.
The football club has never been in admin so has never legally needed a CVA (p in the £ agreement).

The debts of the football club were settled in full by Liebherr for £13m and they paid a further £4m when the club was promoted to the Premier League.[/quote]That is smoke and mirrors, which was easily seen through. The league investigation found that the two entities were inextricably linked and effectively one and the same:"The holding company has no income of its own; all revenue and expenditure is derived from the operation of Southampton Football Club and the associated stadium company.The holding company is solvent in its own right. It only becomes insolvent when account is taken of the position of Southampton football club and the other group companies."In other words the holding company only served, by accident or design, as a supposed shield against a ruling that the football club had gone into administration. That fooled no-one and the football club was docked 10 points as a penalty for adminstration.

The size of the Clubs is a bit of a Red Herring. It is the money available, and what the Club does with it that counts.Southampton have an owner Katharina Liebherr , that has loaned large lumps of money to the Club , in 2014  around £20m , when she was already owed around £30m.

Southampton also borrowed money from the Vibrac Corporation, a company based in the British

Virgin Isles that has provided finance to several other Premier League

clubs. So they used debt , but in this case, unlike QPR, they used it well. At the end of 2014 Southampton had a debt of just under £50 million

- all of which is now owed to the owner. Southampton still have a debt, as do most of the top clubs , but it is serviceable .

Of course Southampton also have a terrific record of player sales , and seemingly put the money back into the squad. NCFC whilst now enjoying an expensive Category 1 academy haven''t produced any player that has netted an income that can make a difference to the first team squad for many years.  The hard nosed money men would look at our academy and see £3m going in, and not much coming out. I suspect that this might be another subject for another day .

At some point, and it wont be yet, NCFC will have to consider whether the model of neutrality in transfer windows is sufficient to gain a sustainable Premier League status. Those against will point to QPR, those for will point to Southampton and Swansea. But in order to do this it will take a rich owner who puts money into a club to buy players, or borrowing millions of pounds (or , in effect the same thing)

I''m not advocating either. But it does surprise me that fans cant see the reality of our transfer window dealings . To sign a good striker , using our model, we will need to clear wages , and if this doesn''t happen we wont be signing many.