Sign in to follow this  
Bomber

Concern not fear after first 4 games

Prior to the season starting we were hoping for a good start with regards games that were afforded us at the beginning of the season - this materialised with 5 games that most people would have agreed were against teams that in this league we would have assumed we would have obtained a good haul of points - it is majorly disappointing therefore to have obtained 4 points from a possible 12 with only 1 point from a possible 6 at home - once Bournemouth is out of the way the games get progressively harder and one would assume points harder to come by - I hope therefore that the next couple of days bear fruit on the transfer market as firmly believe the squad needs strengthening - our display with 10 men was pretty woeful as we do not have the quality with 10 men to still give a good game as do other teams - Swansea who 2 or 3 seasons ago were in the championship with us have strode ahead of us and I am just using them as a comparison as to how far we have to go to go to really be a threat as Man Utd found out yesterday - I''ve probably just gone over the obvious but on a wet Bank Holiday just thought I would have a small input so not looking for any ill adversed comments

I always thought the Palace, Stoke and Southampton games were hard, they were against top half sides and it is quite possible we could have lost the lot. Yesterday was the only poor performance if it is a blip fine if not we are in trouble. The sad thing is our performances warranted another 2 or 3 points and 7 from 4 games would have been much fairer and would have looked a lot better

Always concerned, never fearful, always optimistic.  Once the window is out of the way and the international break, we will have our new players, we''ll get Mulumbu back and things will settle down more and we will see the best of the team.  

I agree, Yorkshire Canary. Our season will be determined by the consistency of our level of performance. If how we played in the first three games is our consistent level of performance we shall be fine. However if the Southampton performance is our consistent level then we''ll probably be in the bottom thre

The manager seemed very disappointed, even shocked, at the performance on Sunday. We lack skilled players in every position, and any success will come from a collective effort and contribution. Clearly, these were lacking on Sunday.

In previous games we had produced plenty of chances, but on Sunday hardly any, even before Whittaker''s idiocy. My first concern is that in five games the only goal from a striker was RvW''s, and he seems unlikely to play a sole striker role.

The second concern is the lack of pace and concentration in our defence. We have not yet met any high-scoring teams, and I shudder to think what could happen.

Four games against average sides has resulted in 8 goals conceded or 2 goals a game.

It doesn''t take a genius to work out therefore that we will need to score at least 3 goals to win most games (no coincidence we''ve scored 3 once and won once IMO) as we generally had to under Paul Lambert.

Trouble is under Lambert we had a Grant Holt and a Steve Morrison as well as the midfield and defence chipping in with crucial goals.

Cameron Jerome hasn''t done it at premier league level at his previous clubs and the omens aren''t great so far (although had his overhead kick been allowed to stand, as it should have - who knows?)

This is why in my opinion we need 2 strikers - someone who can score 15-20 and another like Morrison who can plunder 10 at this level.

We would help ourselves tremendously of course if we could sign a really classy centre half to reduce the damage at the other end of the pitch but I''m not holding my breath.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]I always thought the Palace, Stoke and Southampton games were hard, they were against top half sides and it is quite possible we could have lost the lot. Yesterday was the only poor performance if it is a blip fine if not we are in trouble. The sad thing is our performances warranted another 2 or 3 points and 7 from 4 games would have been much fairer and would have looked a lot better[/quote]

This.

If you thought Southampton, Palace and Stoke were going to be ''easy'' games then I am more fearful for you than I am about the club/squad. This season will be a long old slog for you.

Palace with the squad they have and the manager in Pardew, are going to be wise, clever and resilient. They have got some top players in there. Players that in many cases could be playing further up the table for bigger clubs. Zaha, Cabaye, Bolasi for starters.

Southampton - finished with a European spot last season. Could explain a bit of their early season blues. And one of the teams I would fear playing with 10 men against the most. Calm, patient and a good passing side.

Stoke - we were unlucky not to beat Stoke. They didn''t look good on the day other than Shakiri but they are a solid side. I''d be surprised if they didn''t finish top half again.

I can see us being a bit of a Leicester this year. We have to keep plugging away with the approach we have had up until Southampton. It''s working and we have been very unlucky.

For me it''s more of a case of being pleased with most of what I am seeing but concerned at not taking advantage of the possession and chances we have fought for and more than deserved to make more of.

No fear yet, and only a little concerned relatively.