Sign in to follow this  
Gromitt

Alex Mcleish

What is this bloke on. Just saw this on teletext and found it on BBC website, why does he think they''ve got any right to come and play in the English premiership. Sure enough we''ve got Cardiff playing in the fizzy pop league and Swansea in which ever league but why should we accept the Old Firm coming down. yes I know they only want to come for the money but would they achieve anymore than mid table mediocrity over a whole season. If they were to come let them start in the lower leagues and fight there way up, but then why should two lower league teams miss out just for them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/4706219.stm

They''re two big clubs with a huge following but... of late English football has been tainted with racism at games which is something the vast majority of people are obviously dead against. If you think that its bad at this level, just consider the Scotish league. A derby game here is just a big occassion to enjoy, where as in Scotland its off for a punch up.

They will play in the Premiership, probably within the next 5 years.

Purely because TV will demand it & the financial implications on all sides.

I don''t say I''m in favour, just a realist (or cynic).

I''m totally against this (not that I think it will happen)

Why should they come and take the place of 2 English clubs in the ENGLISH Premier League? And, if they resize the Premiership to accomodate them, surely it''ll mean a complete restructuring of the league? Which would no doubt cause problems for smaller clubs.

Could it actually happen without merging the English and Scottish FAs? It would be interesting to see how many Celtic and Rangers fans would support this move if it meant an end to a Scottish national team - I can''t see any Scottish players getting into a combined GB National team... I''m not saying this would happen, does anyone know what FIFA would have to say about Celtic and Rangers coming down?

One of the conditions for the English FA allowing the original Premiership breakaway was that the 22 team division got reduced to 18 teams, to cut down on the number of games our top players play, to benifit the national team. They didn''t enforce this after the cut to 20 teams (Millichip blew it) but I don''t see them supporting an increase. This would obviously mean 2 less English teams in the top flight, with half the English Premiership teams already nervous of relegation and the financial issues that entails, I would hope the Premiership wouldn''t support it either.

With the size of support these teams have, I have no doubt they would easily stay in the Premiership and would in time be regularly challenging for Champions League and the Title. Whilst breaking up the domination of Arsenal/Man U/Chelsea, it would take further money away from smaller English teams resulting in more English teams facing financial melt down.

It would obviously make our task of regaining and securing Premiership status much tougher too.