Sign in to follow this  
Canary Poirot

Kudos for Flem

I''m a long time Pinkun board member but infrequent poster - but I thought it was time to get behind every member of the Norwich squad for the new season, as this could be one of the most important seasons in our history. Should we win promotion back to the Premiership this season - we could effectively kill of the financial legacy that Chase left us with when we initially dropped out of the Premiership in 95, and almost went broke a few years later.

So I just want to offer some support to our beleaguered captain who has come under some criticism recently. This is a man who has been at the club for 8 years now - and been a superb servent, busting his guts, all that time. Okay, his performances last season were not as the usual high standard he had set in the preceding last 7, but lets not forget how superb he was in our Championship winning season, beating off an excellent Hucks to win the Player of the Season award - something to be very proud of.

People keep coming on here saying he''s past it, too slow etc. I disagree. At Championship level - the strikers, nay the creativity from the midfield is so far below Prem standard, that Flem'' has a hell of a lot to offer at this level. And the fact he broke his nose in the friendly against Dereham a couple weeks ago and was back in action 3 days later sums the guy up for me - guts, determination, and a fantastic pro. Keep going Flem. We are proud of your contribution to Norwich and your dedicated professionalism - a lesson to younger professionals.

I agree with the sentiment, but not with the practice of it.

We know that we can get better centre-halves, or indeed that we HAVE better centre-halves on our books.

Let''s play them, and look to the future.

It''s a bit like saying "we should sign Iwan again, he''s a great player." I think you mean was... he is past it. Although he was voted player of the season when we won the league, when he played against some of the better strikers he struggled and the only reason we won those games is because our midfield and attack were superior. Like Mook said, we have better centre-halves in the squad who are a lot younger and need to be playing to allow some sort of understanding to develop.

What really winds me up is this attitude that because he''s old, he''s a great example to younger players.

Why???

All he does is shout obscenities at all and sundry whenever we concede. This is not setting an example, this is putting everyone on edge and adding unnecessary pressure.

[quote]What really winds me up is this attitude that because he''s old, he''s a great example to younger players. Why??? All he does is shout obscenities at all and sundry whenever we concede. This is not se...[/quote]

Example to younger players...doesn''t fall out with 15yr olds on tour.....doesn''t get accused of rape in hotel rooms....doesn''t belt fellow players on the pitch.....the list is endless of what some his fellow pro''s are up to ,so an example to the younger members of the squad,yep not a bad one.

I like Flem. Whole-hearted, commited, a great servant. And I would like to see a role for him at the club.

Just not on the pitch!

Last season, he was woefully lacking in pace, positioning and his reading of the game. And even the season before that, I thought it was Malky who looked the commanding and organising centre back, not Flem.

Not to diss Flem at all - he''s been a great player, but come August this year, I only see him as second or third choice.

Nolegs, that''s what SOME of his fellow professionals are up to.

But none at Norwich. So that makes virtually our whole team "good examples to the youngsters".

Even the youngsters!

I like Flem too, and his contribution to our cause will not be forgotten by me too. But he made a rod for his own back last season, and he has to live with the consequences at some time.

Otherwise, how do we show our squad members that they will get "the shirt" if their counterpart is underperforming?