Sign in to follow this  
Plastic Scouser

Hughes - How Good Is He?

Sorry to be completely ignorant here, but what is so fantastic about the signing of Hughes? I know absolutely nothing about him - what makes him an outstanding signing as clearly the majority of posters feel...so can someone please explain for me?

By the way, this isn''t a "depressing"/"sniping"/"moaning"/"whinging" thread. I seriously know nothing about the guy so who''s to say if he''s the saviour of the club or Dean Coney? Opinions please!!!!

what is fantastic is that we should now have the midfield sorted, especially if we get Marney aswel. It also shows worthy is doing well in the market.  and there are other reason simply like he is a solid player. He plays across the midfield which will be great in this small squad

[quote]Sorry to be completely ignorant here, but what is so fantastic about the signing of Hughes? I know absolutely nothing about him - what makes him an outstanding signing as clearly the majority of poste...[/quote]

From a Norfolk Royal

Congratulations on getting Hughes!

He''ll run all day for you and has four lungs as opposed to Gary Holt''s three.

He can play any position you like, up front, midfield, probably best games for us covering at full back. He will score the odd goal, one for us last season but is useful in the air.

That''s the good news for you.

Bad news is that he is genetically incapable of passing the ball to one of his own players, frequently runs into cul de sacs, has little awareness of those around him, and has no left foot.

Hughes divided our fans straight down the middle, one of those sort of players, I''m afraid.

Half of our fans are sad to lose him because of his utility qualities, play in any position, but the other half would gladly pay for his petrol up the A 11.

His best moment at RFC was when we went up from Championship One a few years ago with a 1-1 draw at Brentford, a certain Mr Cureton scoring the equaliser which sent us up under Pardew.

During the on pitch celebrations at the end of the game Hughes launched into an extraordingary break dancing routine which had everyone in stitches.

If you think he will be used as cover at Norwich, my guess is that he is Worthington''s type of player and will see a lot of action. Good luck.

[quote]From a Norfolk Royal Congratulations on getting Hughes! He''ll run all day for you and has four lungs as opposed to Gary Holt''s three. He can play any position you like, up front, midfield, probably...[/quote]

Norfolk royal has summed up the reading fans opinion perfectly - over 9 pages of posts discussing him and the transfer on the royals discussion site and in equal measure the either love or loathe him.  As well as right back some fans prefer him as the advanced central midfielder sitting of the strikers.  He would have to go some to be better than damo at this level...

The more I read the more I have concerns about his footballing skills but the more he is an ideal worthy worker and a perfect squad filler.

The transfer fee is key on this one - we cant have paid too much for a squad player as he must sit behind yousef, jarret and damo - unless he is aimed at the wide right slot where he has played.  If that is the case would Harper have been a better option? 

OTBC  

[quote]From a Norfolk Royal Congratulations on getting Hughes! He''ll run all day for you and has four lungs as opposed to Gary Holt''s three. He can play any position you like, up front, midfield, probably...[/quote]

This has ''successor to Gary Holt'' written all over it. Are we going to see another untouchable-can-do-no-wrong-and-will-never-get-dropped in the midfield? Don''t get me wrong, i''m not writing him off before he''s signed for us, but i''d like to see some skill on the flanks (presuming he''s going to be playing right wing?) than hard work and graft ala Holt. That is, of course, if this is the type of player he is (he might surprise us)

I''ve also read a lot from Reading fans and they don''t seem too bothered that he''s off. I''m just wondering how much we have offered for him!

Not as skilfull as Francis, but more than Holt? Even more energetic than Holt and more consistent and committed than Francis.

This about sums up the comments from Reading supporters and others, which have been on the web this morning. If we are promoted, another Holt?

A "Worthington" player

Alex_ncfc is right to be concerned if comparisons with Holt are the yardstick to judge Hughes!! IF he is used as a genuine squad player then it may be a useful signing. I admit I have no knowledge of the guy so it would be wrong to cast a sweeping opinion but I do hope that ''being a Holt'' does NOT mean he plays year in, year out with no fear of ever being dropped!

Marney could be a very good loan deal (if he comes) but again I''m not sure if either he (or Hughes) will genuinely fill the gap we most need which is right side midfield. To play there (or left side come to that) the PRIORITY must be ability to beat defenders for pace / trickery (or both) and deliver quality crosses to the strikers. Jonson conspicuously failed in these regards and has rightly been flogged off. Will Marney and / or Hughes be able to provide those qualities and is right side midfield their BEST positions? I have my doubts but fair play to Worthy for getting the first team squad size up to a more suitable total.  

[quote]Alex_ncfc is right to be concerned if comparisons with Holt are the yardstick to judge Hughes!! IF he is used as a genuine squad player then it may be a useful signing. I admit I have no knowledge of ...[/quote]

I agree yellow that we do need some flair in midfield - damo, safri, jarrett and hughes areall grafters and some pacy and trickery would do us well.  

I am not sure who is in the prem reserves that fits this bill but why not Kris kommons from forest?

OTBC

If the transfer fee is £500k as is being bandied about we have paid too much and Steve Coppell "has seen us coming". I thought the £700k we got for Jonsson was an excellent deal for us but we now seem to be wasting a chunk of it. I guess if Marney comes, the wide right midfield berth is his so Hughes is no more than a squad member covering midfield and right back positions - I would rather we had tried to get Halford. We will almost certainly give Hughes a 3 year contract, if (as hoped) we get promoted we will have a player who is not good enough for the prem in much the same way as we did with Holty. Halford, on the other hand, has potential to grow into a Prem player.

Thats the pessimistic view over with, on the positive side the PSV stopper looks interesting. Never seen him play but I would think that he must have a good pedigree and be reasonably talented to have spent so long with PSV. They are one of Europe''s top clubs so there is no shame in not having been able to break into the first team there. Marney should also do well for us in the CCC, he is pacy and I reckon he will enjoy a wide right position. Him on the right and Hux on the left with Deano/Mackenzie/Thorne in the middle should give opposition defences plenty to think about.

Mark .Y.

Hmmmmm, and now Reading have signed Gunnarsson (sp) from Watford for £400,000. A central midfielder I have always rated highly at Championship level.

ps, If a players major strength is versitillity usually that means not good enough to hold down one position.

[quote]Hmmmmm, and now Reading have signed Gunnarsson (sp) from Watford for £400,000. A central midfielder I have always rated highly at Championship level. ps, If a players major strength is versitillity u...[/quote]

Chris Sutton?

I must say I am not excited about Hughes at all.  I don''t think he is better than what we already have and I certainly would not place him in my starting 11.  Considering we appear to have limited funds for transfers £500k seems a lot to pay for a bench warmer, which leads me to believe that Worthy intends for him to be a regular.  As I stated though I would play Mcveigh ahead of him at RM Jarret, Damo and Safri ahead of him at CM and Louis-Jean ahead of him at right-back.

IMO he improves the squad but not the team and it seems a lot to pay for a squad player, considering Jarret cost nothing.  It''s also a good point that was made that he is not good enough for the PL should we get promoted and it appears that most of Worthy''s signings so far are short-term if we get promoted.

I will be more than happy if I am proved wrong.

isn''t the theory to surround safri with workhorses
to free him for playmaking, because I think he''s the best
passers of the ball in midfield. I also feel that the key
is the dean marley signing,he would give us the skill and vision
on the ball. hughes is the ball winner, safri the playmaker,
francis the paul scholes attacker and jarrett the total all
rounder. I think it''s less about what one player can do
and more about creating a wealth of options within the midfield.

bottom line I''d take this year''s midfield over last years.

i agree with richs post.

adding to that - you all seem to be expecting Henry to walk into Colney. We already have quality, its the depth of the squad thats the problem. I admit we need a bit of quality to give us the edge and i think Marney and Colin can provide that for us

I was only asking!!!!!

Seems then that we''re all split down the middle - Gary Holt mk2 - great in the mad, frenzied world of the Championship but could be suspect in the more cultured Premiership...

Well let''s not pre-judge the fellow and give him the chance to prove himself...

1.) Don''t underestimate the value of a very fit, committed, har-working midfielder;
2.) If the papers say £500K I would expect around £300-350 down with the balance based on games played or return to Premiership (or both) so not drastically expensive;
3.) I don''t think he will be the first name on the team sheet - I believe he will provide cover for the central midfield berths and Louis-Jean which could mean no need to buy another right back;
4.) Hope he isn''t as bad at passing as has been made out;
5.) IF Marney & Colin signed then we would have good cover for the right back position as both of these players have played there before, Colin can also play as a centre back and Marney can also play as an attacking midfielder so the options are suddenly opening up. If this all happens then well done Worthy!
6.) I heard a rumour that Michael Owen is fed up at Real Madrid, now if only......................

I had a little browse through the Reading website: Hob Nob Anyone? and I unearthed this gem based on Pink Floyd''s Wall:

He dont need no elevation
He dont need no ball control
No dark sarcasm in the tunnel
Trainers, leave that Hughes alone
Hey! Trainers! Leave that Hughes alone!

All in all he''ll just kick it straight at the wall
All in all he''s just not got any talent at all.

I thought that was pretty good myself. Certainly if I''d written it I would have been pleased with the results.

[quote]I had a little browse through the Reading website: Hob Nob Anyone? and I unearthed this gem based on Pink Floyd''s Wall: He dont need no elevation He dont need no ball control No dark sarcasm in the t...[/quote]

Thanks for that, fills me with confidence

Bloody hell......I have been accused many times on this board as being a pessimist, [I think, change that to know, that I am a realist ], but having read most of the posts about Hughes and his supposed lack of skill I must be an optimist

Worthington signs a player he has publicly admitted he has been after for a long time and a section of the posters can''t wait to turn up stuff showing how crap he is....

Maybe he needs a change of scenery, he was after all being touted as a prem player when Reading reached the play offs a couple of years ago. Scored 9 goals that season which is good for a midfielder, lets at least give the guy a chance.

As a Reading supporter I firmly believe you got a right steal in Hughesy.He''s a totally commited player who''ll fight for the course and will always be reliable and do a sound job for you whenever required.

He''s at his best when in center midfield but if asked to play out of position then he''ll do it without moaning like some other players possibly do.

He''s got a great engine,an eye for a goal and experience at Championship level.

Good luck Hughesy!